Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Round of Applause for Operation Freeflow...

• 01-12-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Seriously!

This morning I got into College in record time! I took me about twenty minutes from reaching the bus stop to reaching the gates of Trinity! Maybe less! Traffic was moving on Dame Street, the bus spent less than 3mins trying to get down to central bank. It was only after I got off the bus that I realized that this why I noticed the Garda presence at some of the traffic lights! Operation Freeflow!!

Alas! If only the DoT took some of these Garda initiatives on board year-round!
    Towards an excellent public transport system we could move....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Haven't driven into town from Leixlip yet this year, but last winter the guards at the junctions seemed to cause more delays than usuall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

No sign of Operation Freeflow coming from the North-West of the city. First garda I came across wasn't until the corner of Parnell Square and O'Connell Street where there's no problems anyway.
    Some bloke in a 206 broke down in the middle lane on the N3 outbound at Scotts Roundabout and despite the garda station only around the corner there was no gardai coming around to tell the idiot to take his hands out of his pockets, get off the central medium and push your bloody car out of the way ! People like that should be shot, it caused chaos this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jip wrote: »
    Some bloke in a 206 broke down in the middle lane on the N3 outbound at Scotts Roundabout and despite the garda station only around the corner there was no gardai coming around to tell the idiot to take his hands out of his pockets, get off the central medium and push your bloody car out of the way ! People like that should be shot, it caused chaos this morning.
    Did you phone the garda station to let them know? They can't see through walls and around corners you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Operation Free'overtime' flow

Junction of Coldcut Road and Cloverhill Rd......

Operation Free'overtime' flow consists of a young trainee Garda standing by the junction talking on her mobile phone , she was there last night , and this morning..... achieving nothing AT ALL .

Put it this way , I sat in a 15 min queue to turn right this morning , there was little opposing traffic but the light sequence was obviously wrong , did this person do anything ...... no she was basically standing on the street corner trying to keep warm , talking on her phone ( I don't know she wasn't trying get help , but somehow I doubt it )

Joke.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It has potential, which is the most frustrating thing. around March of this year I was going to college and at the end of the M1 at Whitehall there was almost no traffic, compared to the usual 15/20 minute wait. There was a single guard at the junction because the traffic lights were broken. So when there's someone involved who knows what they're doing it can make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Put it this way , I sat in a 15 min queue to turn right this morning , there was little opposing traffic but the light sequence was obviously wrong , did this person do anything ...... no she was basically standing on the street corner trying to keep warm , talking on her phone ( I don't know she wasn't trying get help , but somehow I doubt it )
    Its generally best if they don't interfere with traffic, they should only enforce the law, e.g. stop people blocking junctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Seriously!

This morning I got into College in record time! I took me about twenty minutes from reaching the bus stop to reaching the gates of Trinty

You were lucky mate, my bus was held up for ten minutes while the driver dealt with some pesky fare evader, who refused to get off the bus !! ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Victor wrote: »
    Did you phone the garda station to let them know? They can't see through walls and around corners you know!

As every radio station in Dublin knew, as well it being picked up on traffic cameras, I assumed they'd know, or should know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Jip wrote: »
    As every radio station in Dublin new, as well it being picked up on traffic cameras, I assumed they'd know, or should know.

assuption is the mother of all **** ups!

As for Gardai being able to direct lanes of traffic better than a single junction I doubt it very much. And besides its not there job to do that. Its there job to enforce the laws at the junctions which should speed up flows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

kearnsr wrote: »
    As for Gardai being able to direct lanes of traffic better than a single junction I doubt it very much.

Agreed - There is no proof that a garda can increase capacity at a junction. Even if they could, they would have to do so by reducing the safety of users of the junction (usually pedestrians, right turning vehicles and vulnerable road users).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Victor wrote: »
    Its generally best if they don't interfere with traffic, they should only enforce the law, e.g. stop people blocking junctions.

They've done this on the overbridge at Woodies in Lucan. It's been much better the last few days because people desist from piling through on the amber and clogging up the various junctions

Conversely, the traffic heading into Chapelizod this evening at 5.30 was atrocious - it was backed up PAST the independent petrol station in Palmerstown to the lights! This was because the "fresh faced" :rolleyes: Garda at the traffic lights up near Linders was waving every bit of trafic outbound through the lights and refusing to let the inward traffic progress. It's called "Freeflow" not "One way flow" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Heroditas wrote: »
    They've done this on the overbridge at Woodies in Lucan. It's been much better the last few days because people desist from piling through on the amber and clogging up the various junctions

Thats nothing to do with the singal timings but rather the Gardai inforcing proper driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

kearnsr wrote: »
    Thats nothing to do with the singal timings but rather the Gardai inforcing proper driving

That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

You should see the guards at the Coldcut/Whitethorn junction in Dublin. While claiming to help traffic flow, they are actually causing even more delays than usual by checking tax and insurance discs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You were lucky mate, my bus was held up for ten minutes while the driver dealt with some pesky fare evader, who refused to get off the bus !! ;);)

Well, you did insist on getting the bus behind

:D

Advertisement