Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guarantee my arse

Options
  • 01-12-2008 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

over the last 12 months i got two major jobs done on my house.in both cases the companies have ceased trading leaving me with a guarantee thats not worth the paper they're written on. i know we're in a recession but come on. the government have all these so called consumer laws that are utterly useless. i rang up the second company today regarding noisey pipes only to be told they ceased trading about 6 months ago. i'm absolutely livid. both these jobs cost thousands and i'm left with no come back.
    i think it's got to a stage where a person can set up a company, screw joe public milking them dry and just feck off without any warning laughing all the way to the bank. :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

i think it's got to a stage where a person can set up a company, screw joe public milking them dry and just feck off without any warning laughing all the way to the bank. :mad:
    Not really, because if you set up a limited company (to avoid personal liability) you're going to have to have proper accounting done or you're going to be having some serious issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭confused-dazed

Nody wrote: »
    Not really, because if you set up a limited company (to avoid personal liability) you're going to have to have proper accounting done or you're going to be having some serious issue.
    the first one was a limited company, i was sold the product under false pretences. they have'nt filed their returns with the C.R.O. and are in the process of being written off. now this same guy has set up a new business selling the exact same products as he sold me, so what i said in my orignal post is correct. he laughed all the way to the bank while i'm left with a pile of junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Is it gone into liquidation or bankruptcy? If you get a quote on repairs you might be able to get yourself listed as a creditor. You will have to do a bit of research on this to see if its possible and it sounds like you will have to move quickly on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

You can make a report to ODCE - they take this type of shenanigans very seriously and one of the few public bodies that have teeth and use them.

Paul appleby is their head and he likes nothing more than getting directors barred from running a company and making directors personally liable for debts.

Advertisement