Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Night Live on Newstalk is Kaput.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Cork wrote: »
    RTE radio don't seem to do Irish Language radio despite getting €160 in licence money.

Splanc should return.

If taxpayers money is needed - this show should return.

http://www.rte.ie/rnag/index.html
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

it seems they've got rid of Fionn Davenport's 'Culture Shock' aswell, they've replaced it with that god-awful 'inter-cultural' shizz :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

spiderdan wrote: »
    totally agree that George Hook has gone to total ****e, not that he was ever that good! he's turned into a joke of a presenter- all these love ins he has with his guests makes a mockery of the show, time for a change IMO- Matt Cooper is sooooooooo much better, a great balanced no nonsense presenter.

Late Night was ok, had its moments. Overall Newstalk has some very good shows and presenters- Off the Ball, Talking History, Culture Shock, Eamon Keane- but has some very ****ty one's too- Hook= Joke, Moncrief=Not funny, pointless show, those Muppet women they get on to gossip!!! WTF!! Tom Dunne= Is so inoffensive and clean cut it makes me sick, they're really struggling to find topics to talk about of late!!

If O'Brien brought the two together and kept the good stuff it'd be great.

I agree with this 100% except for the Eamonn Keane positivity.

Hook has completely lost it at this stage. Cooper is a million times better. The problem with Hook is that he speaks as if he is a complete expert on absolutely everything, his questions to his guest "experts" usually take the form "Isn't it the case that...."

Paradoxically, he can have an incredibly basic grasp of topics which he must cover multiple times every week, dozens and dozens of times each year.

I'm listening to those 3 women on a repeat of Moncreif right now and I came on here to complain! They're so annoying!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Personally Matt Copper is getting on my nerves. He is doing the GAA, Rugby on tv3 and his radio show. That's too much of him. He is a Jack of all trades and a master of none. I'd listen to Hook before Cooper.
    There should be Polish on the radio before irish, more people use it as a first language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

parasite wrote: »
    it seems they've got rid of Fionn Davenport's 'Culture Shock' aswell, they've replaced it with that god-awful 'inter-cultural' shizz :(

Jaysus, that's awful. Fionn Davenport used to be one of the best things on newstalk. Come to think of it I heard that other inter cultural show on Sat evening. It didn't register with me at the time. I thought I had turned onto Metro Eireann or something. It wasn't inspiring or interesting in any way. Probably cheap though, and that's the only thing that counts isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 amis

I used to quite like Orla Barry in the morning. A women in her sixties with the opinions of a twenty something. A little refreshing I thought. Then I saw her picture on the newstalk website and it turned out she was a woman in her twenties with the voice of a sixty year old, very confusing indeed. That culture shock program she does now is an absolute load of tripe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Newstalk has gone to the dogs .................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

I wondered why there was repeats on and I stumbled across this thread.

I liked the show personally, shame, more for the guests like the motormouth section or the sports on thursday, ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The decision to axe Late Night Live must have been very quick as a couple of weeks ago Declan Carty was saying that "from next week on there will be a motorcycle section added to our motoring slot".

Then I tuned in last week and it was finito.

On a sidenote, whoever said Eamonn Keane was good deserves to have their ears ripped off by a rabies-ridden dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Downturn in advertising? That's great news, maybe that means there'll be less breaks.

Fingers crossed the downturn will extend to the garmin sat nav empire, and we won't have to listen to 'give-a, give-a..la la la' ads any more.

I'd like to hear Fionn Davenport do a 10pm talk show, he has a good late night radio voice and isn't afraid to be intelligent. Failing that, some buy ins from NPR could be good, maybe some documentaries... Morning shows just have the wrong pace to be broadcast at night, they're too upbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

There's a lot of talk here saying Newstalk has gone to ****e, but it still has 3 hours of Off The Ball, which is the only decent show on Irish radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Will Newstalk last much longer ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Cork wrote: »
    I was very disapointed with Splanc going. This was a quality show.

Splanc should return.

Couldn't agree more. Wasn't too pushed on Late Night Live (but it was definitely miles better than a repeat (of anything)).

But i'm really p***ed off that Splanc is gone. I'm not fluent, but i could follw those guys fairly well, and listened almost every week.

F*** it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Will Newstalk last much longer ?

I hope not (in their current format) because they have morphed into every other second rate Irish Radio Station that they 'wern't' when they first started out . . .

I remember well all the hype prior to Newstalk going Live on Air, all the hot air about this New Irish Station being on a par with BBC Radio 5 / Radio 4, about it having the best & most professional presenters in the country - News Talk Radio at its very best, which it nearly was at the beginning, or at least it showed promise? then it went National & its been all downhill since :cool:

What Happened to the dream ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cronjob78

Splanc was a much needed programme because Radio na Gaeltachta is not for all Irish Language speakers. It’s for the Gaeltachts and areas that speak Irish. I have little or no interest in most of the topics they discuss and I find a huge number of the presenters very difficult to understand. I live a long way from the nearest Gaeltacht and the content on that station is geared towards older listeners. I doubt a huge amount of younger Irish speakers in the Gaeltacht listen to it.

Dara on Newstalk was not a native speaker from a Gaeltacht but was fluent. There’s a big difference and it’s a positive one for anyone not raised speaking Irish. I found him easy to understand and the topics discussed are those that would go down well on the station in English.

It frustrates me trying to re-learn Irish at how few resources or places there are to use the language outside the Gaeltachts even though there are a large number of people who want to use it.

UCC turned away literally hundreds of people from their night courses in September because they are full (500 places) and Gaelchultur have recently expanded their courses from Temple Bar to eight or nine different places around the country and are doing very well.

It’s not like the only people who want Irish language programming are sitting in a bog around a spit-roast in Conemara playing fiddles in Aran sweaters. There are tens of thousands of people who speak Irish daily.

This is an indication that there is a large increase in the number of people who want to learn/re-learn the language in its spoken form. We weren’t taught how to speak it in school, only to write. My first time speaking Irish for any sustained period of time was in the leaving cert oral exam – 13 years after starting to learn the language. Thankfully that’s changing now so we can expect society to have a higher level of fluency in the future therefore its important to reflect that in the media.

I’m all for efficient use of public funds, getting the economy rolling and minimising waste in the public sector but if the only thing that is important to people is the economy and money then we might as well call ourselves West Britain or East Boston. Despite the penetration of the Premiership, reality celebs and British tabloid culture (I’m not against any of these per se but have reservations) there are a huge amount of Irish people who want to see Irish culture nurtured and grown.

I don’t subscribe to the “if we got rid of Radio na Gaeltachta we would get one more machine to detect cancer X in our hospitals” argument that you hear from anti-Irish language people.

In my opinion Irish radio stations should be obliged to do the same amount of Irish language radio programming each. Obviously the audiences are small and the amount of ad revenue that can be garnered is proportionally less but if all stations are obliged to do the same amount then there’s a level playing field. It should be similar to the amount of Irish music shows that form part of a radio station’s license pitch.

Here's hoping Splanc will return in some shape or form in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I'd say Denis O Brien cannot continue to sustain 2 national stations side-by-side indefinitely. Watch this space for some changes in the new year reflecting the economic situation as the advertising pie shrinks to rock bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 refindsearcher

cut backs in newstalk are a joke....20% of the staff have been given the sack...the majority of the news team are gone....they'll be doubling up on news with Today FM...ie same news reader and reports...just a different jingle at the end...

I cant believe tom dunne is being repeated at 10pm...i think its really sad....late night live was great as was splanc....mayb they shud get rid of some of the sports team...seriously...sports havnt faced any cut backs in there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Joe Fitz

What on Gods earth is Newstalk doing putting that eejit Tom Dunne at 10 pm at night. Not that I listen to him in the morning but my God he is bad.

Dob74 wrote: »
    There should be Polish on the radio before irish, more people use it as a first language.

Interesting reasoning.

As far as i know, the most spoken language in the world is Mandarin Chinese. What say we just go the whole hog and change everything to that?

In terms of cost cutting etc (and i'm no expert in these matters), but surely Tom Dunne is getting a decent few quid for making the switch over? More than Orla Barry used to cost, anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

cut backs in newstalk are a joke....20% of the staff have been given the sack...the majority of the news team are gone....they'll be doubling up on news with Today FM...ie same news reader and reports...just a different jingle at the end...

I cant believe tom dunne is being repeated at 10pm...i think its really sad....late night live was great as was splanc....mayb they shud get rid of some of the sports team...seriously...sports havnt faced any cut backs in there....

Contrasts well with the 'fat cats' out in Montrose doesn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

That Garmin ad is wrecking my head. Please make it stop.

mcscrub wrote: »
    That Garmin ad is wrecking my head. Please make it stop.

Wrong thread?

cuckoo wrote: »
    Fingers crossed the downturn will extend to the garmin sat nav empire, and we won't have to listen to 'give-a, give-a..la la la' ads any more.

I'd like to hear Fionn Davenport do a 10pm talk show, he has a good late night radio voice and isn't afraid to be intelligent. Failing that, some buy ins from NPR could be good, maybe some documentaries... Morning shows just have the wrong pace to be broadcast at night, they're too upbeat.

No Mick, this thread is great, I just agree with this guy above!!

I've been reading this thread for the last couple of weeks, because I too miss LNL and Splanc. There doesn't seem to be many other alternatives. And although I don't mind Mr. Dunne....he's no longer suited for a night time audience....he should have kept his Today FM slot, he was much better there.

Sorry if this came up twice...I haven't posted on boards in ages.

Sorry, thought you meant to post in the Worst/Best Ads thread.

No problem Mick.

So what's next for newstalk? Will they replace the repeats with live shows or will they keep on going with repeats and possibly lose listeners?

Or if it's due to the economic downturn, when things turn around will the let-go shows come back?

And if the old shows do come back, will there be new presenters?

Also, why did only two newspapers cover this whole story? Weren't three shows let go? Late Night Live, Splanc and Culture Shock.

Next for newstalk?

Probably more cut backs on weekend programmes. Perhaps less sports coverage. More repeats.

A pooling of more resources across the Communicorp group. I'd say it wont be long before we see a group news room between all Denis O'Briens stations.

What do communicorp hold? Today FM, Newstalk, q102, 98fm, anyone else?

And any theory as to why cutbacks stayed out of the media?

Communicorp own: 98, Spin, Spin SW, Today FM and Newstalk.

UTV own Q102, FM104, 96/103 in Cork, LMFM and 95FM in Limerick.

As to why it stayed out of the media, I assume it was deemed not to be a big enough story. The economy is in the sh1t, with bigger job cuts being announced elsewhere.

Sorry about that, I thought Q102 were them..

I don't listen to Spin that often or, to be honest. Today FM, although I occassionally tune into D'arcy. And I've found myself listening to 98fm more (I feel I need to make an excuse for this! I tune in occassionally to 98 because I sometimes get tired of listening to recession news). And I listen to newstalk alot, but, have any of the other communicorp stations lost shows? I know about the newsroom mix between NT and Today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 refindsearcher

mick_irl wrote: »
    Next for newstalk?

Probably more cut backs on weekend programmes. Perhaps less sports coverage. More repeats.

A pooling of more resources across the Communicorp group. I'd say it wont be long before we see a group news room between all Denis O'Briens stations.

Weekend programmes are safe on newstalk as is the off the ball show and the weekend sports shows...its just going to be Newstalk and Today FM news rooms that link up....because they are based in the same building it will be easy enough to do.....i believe it will come into effect on Saturday morning....

• Advertisement

Weekend programmes are safe on newstalk as is the off the ball show and the weekend sports shows...its just going to be Newstalk and Today FM news rooms that link up....because they are based in the same building it will be easy enough to do.....i believe it will come into effect on Saturday morning....

I'll be listening out for that - it'll be interesting to see if there's any change in the news reports.

cuckoo wrote: »
    I'll be listening out for that - it'll be interesting to see if there's any change in the news reports.

Heard a couple of news reports (inbetween lotsa 'lisbon II' talk) this morning, didn't notice any real difference.

Right, I need your help on this!

What alternative do we have for Late Night Live. I've tried got NPR on my real player but it keeps saying my comp isn't compatable. I need some night time news show (I'm not talking about Adrian Kennedy and Chris Barry sh**e).

What station is Declan on now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Try BBC radio. I listen to 5 Live from 10/11pm onward every night. Richard Bacon isn't what I'd call serious news but he does have some good discussions. Stephen Nolan, at the weekend, is more on the serious side though. And then there's Up All Night from 1am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

cronjob78 wrote: »
    Splanc was a much needed programme because Radio na Gaeltachta is not for all Irish Language speakers. It’s for the Gaeltachts and areas that speak Irish. I have little or no interest in most of the topics they discuss and I find a huge number of the presenters very difficult to understand. I live a long way from the nearest Gaeltacht and the content on that station is geared towards older listeners. I doubt a huge amount of younger Irish speakers in the Gaeltacht listen to it.

Dara on Newstalk was not a native speaker from a Gaeltacht but was fluent. There’s a big difference and it’s a positive one for anyone not raised speaking Irish. I found him easy to understand and the topics discussed are those that would go down well on the station in English.

It frustrates me trying to re-learn Irish at how few resources or places there are to use the language outside the Gaeltachts even though there are a large number of people who want to use it.

UCC turned away literally hundreds of people from their night courses in September because they are full (500 places) and Gaelchultur have recently expanded their courses from Temple Bar to eight or nine different places around the country and are doing very well.

It’s not like the only people who want Irish language programming are sitting in a bog around a spit-roast in Conemara playing fiddles in Aran sweaters. There are tens of thousands of people who speak Irish daily.

This is an indication that there is a large increase in the number of people who want to learn/re-learn the language in its spoken form. We weren’t taught how to speak it in school, only to write. My first time speaking Irish for any sustained period of time was in the leaving cert oral exam – 13 years after starting to learn the language. Thankfully that’s changing now so we can expect society to have a higher level of fluency in the future therefore its important to reflect that in the media.

I’m all for efficient use of public funds, getting the economy rolling and minimising waste in the public sector but if the only thing that is important to people is the economy and money then we might as well call ourselves West Britain or East Boston. Despite the penetration of the Premiership, reality celebs and British tabloid culture (I’m not against any of these per se but have reservations) there are a huge amount of Irish people who want to see Irish culture nurtured and grown.

I don’t subscribe to the “if we got rid of Radio na Gaeltachta we would get one more machine to detect cancer X in our hospitals” argument that you hear from anti-Irish language people.

In my opinion Irish radio stations should be obliged to do the same amount of Irish language radio programming each. Obviously the audiences are small and the amount of ad revenue that can be garnered is proportionally less but if all stations are obliged to do the same amount then there’s a level playing field. It should be similar to the amount of Irish music shows that form part of a radio station’s license pitch.

Here's hoping Splanc will return in some shape or form in the near future.

Sorry I just saw this thread. Entirely agree with the above. Splanc was genuinely my only real chance to listen to Irish radio and understand what was going on. RnaG is just too difficult to understand. Splanc was perfect for those of us who aren't natural speakers but who are studying.

I e-mailed Newstalk yesterday about it and left a message of thanks on the Splanc myspace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I was wondering why Tom Dunne was being repeated. I just took the impression that the show would be on a break for the Christmas period.

I always enjoyed listening to Late Night Live. Kept me going at the start of a night shift. There's really nothing else on the radio to listen to. I'm one of the few who isn't much into sports and so cannot tolerate Off the Ball for longer than one hour. The sports news segment every half hour is longer than the regular news itself! I could see Denis O Brien bringing Newstalk towards a Sports oriented station at this rate.

Also, although Fionn Devenport is indeed quite intelligent but I can't help but think I'm listening to Jason Byrne..and I cannot stand the guy.

Ahem. Can a DAB car radio get BBC stations? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭barneyeile

Try BBC radio. I listen to 5 Live from 10/11pm onward every night. Richard Bacon isn't what I'd call serious news but he does have some good discussions. Stephen Nolan, at the weekend, is more on the serious side though. And then there's Up All Night from 1am.
    Bacon is very good on 5 Live but Nolan makes my ears bleed! I used to listen to 5 Live after 11 pm on the weekends but not any more. Get rid of Stephen Nolan PLEASE!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I hated Nolan at first too, his accent is very grating, but he's grown on me a lot. I still prefer Bacon but Nolan's an excellent interviewer with the right subject. Last weekend he was talking to some astronomer about the larger full moon and ended up having a really fascinating conversation about the galaxy and the possibility of extra-terrestrial life. He asked some great off-the-cuff questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭barneyeile

I hated Nolan at first too, his accent is very grating, but he's grown on me a lot. I still prefer Bacon but Nolan's an excellent interviewer with the right subject. Last weekend he was talking to some astronomer about the larger full moon and ended up having a really fascinating conversation about the galaxy and the possibility of extra-terrestrial life. He asked some great off-the-cuff questions.
    You may be right but his accent is just so thick an grating on my ears! It puts me right off.

• Advertisement

I tuned into BBC last night as recommended, it's good, but it's not local enough if you get my drift?

Anyword yet on where the late night live and splnac presenters have gone yet?

Anyword yet on where the late night live and splnac presenters have gone yet?
    Dole queue, I guess. :pac:

There isn't really any alternative for serious late night talk on Irish radio. The audience for it just isn't big enough it seems. And with the current economic conditions nobody is going to be steeping into the breach.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Sorry I just saw this thread. Entirely agree with the above. Splanc was genuinely my only real chance to listen to Irish radio and understand what was going on. RnaG is just too difficult to understand. Splanc was perfect for those of us who aren't natural speakers but who are studying.

I e-mailed Newstalk yesterday about it and left a message of thanks on the Splanc myspace.

Did they reply to you?

I did the same and got nothing back.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Just like RTE so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Got an email today from John O'Donovan the producer of Late Night Live thanking the listeners for tuning in but stating that the show was cancelled 2 weeks ago.

Slaygal wrote: »
    Got an email today from John O'Donovan the producer of Late Night Live thanking the listeners for tuning in but stating that the show was cancelled 2 weeks ago.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake but, what do you mean by "but stating that the show was cancelled 2 weeks ago". As in we should stop talking about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm a bit slow on the uptake but, what do you mean by "but stating that the show was cancelled 2 weeks ago". As in we should stop talking about it?

Maybe he just wanted to let us all know that it's not coming back - as opposed to being on hiatus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

You would wonder how expensive it would be to continue Late Night Live? It is a real shame it has disappeared because there is no intelligent talk show on Irish radio at this time slot now. I will be forced to listen to the BBC now because Adrian Kennedy and the like are not a substitute at all! What will happen to Declan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I assume Declan will pick up radio work somewhere else.

I still can't believe that producing that show would have been prohibitively expensive. Unless they're paying the likes of Hooky, Tom Dunne and Claire Byrne (household type names) so much they can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Firetrap wrote: »
    I assume Declan will pick up radio work somewhere else.

I still can't believe that producing that show would have been prohibitively expensive. Unless they're paying the likes of Hooky, Tom Dunne and Claire Byrne (household type names) so much they can't afford it.

Totally agree with you. It is also a real shame for Declan Carthy because he was with Newstalk from the beginning.

Koloman wrote: »
    Totally agree with you. It is also a real shame for Declan Carthy because he was with Newstalk from the beginning.

It is a shame for Carty, although alot of people weren't overly fond of him I thought he was very good. Gone are the days of hidden Dublin when Newstalk was Dublin only! Here's hoping he'll be back on some station soon enough. I hope he gets a night time slot again though, there is a serious lack of late night talk shows in this country.

As somebody said before, Adrien Kennedy and the like are no substitution (I can only speak from a Dublin point of view). And a repeat of Tom Dunne is definitely not a good substitution.

Aswell as that a few people recommended that I check out BBC for their late night talk shows, which I did. They all seem very good, but it's not local enough for Irish listeners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement