Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Night Live on Newstalk is Kaput.

13»

Comments

It was a very informative show, motoring, the legal advice section which seemed very popular and even won some award, the local papers around the country, national papers and some interesting discussions.

As for its replacement, Christ Almighty, that squeaky dog song, what a step backwards. Tom Dunne is a four year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

mcscrub wrote: »
    As well as that a few people recommended that I check out BBC for their late night talk shows, which I did. They all seem very good, but it's not local enough for Irish listeners.

Not local enough agreed, but if you suffer with insomnia or work nights, BBC Radio can be a revalation ....

Woke up the other night about 1am turned on BBC Radio Five & then fell asleep listening to a fantastic documentary about space & black holes.

The problem I have with Newstalk/RTE is that much of the time they can be just too local (too parochial) in their outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

You can be quite sure that if they do bring back the 10pm slot something along the lines of Adrian Kennedy is what they'd go for.

I'm surprised that wasn't what they did rather than axe the slot entirely. I mean, how much can it cost to run that kind of a show? Presenter wages, phone monkey, sound guy/"producer". **** all, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

I'm surprised that wasn't what they did rather than axe the slot entirely. I mean, how much can it cost to run that kind of a show? Presenter wages, phone monkey, sound guy/"producer". **** all, really.

I'd reckon at least three hundred grand a year, depending on the rate the presenter is looking for I suppose.

If you break it down, presenter, producer, researcher (x 2 because it would be 5 nights a week), technical operator, guests, taxis, and all of this multiplied by 5 nights week.

In radio terms I'm not sure if that's expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

I'd reckon at least three hundred grand a year, depending on the rate the presenter is looking for I suppose.

If you break it down, presenter, producer, researcher (x 2 because it would be 5 nights a week), technical operator, guests, taxis, and all of this multiplied by 5 nights week.

In radio terms I'm not sure if that's expensive.

Why would you need two researchers? Can't they work 5 days a week like the rest of us?

Producer can run the desk, that's a piece of piss. Any twat can do that.

Taxis? Guests? Pfff. It's all about phone calls.

You could do the whole lot under €150,000 a year, I reckon. Then add all the money you'd make on 30c texts! So about €149,000.

Why would you need two researchers? Can't they work 5 days a week like the rest of us?

Producer can run the desk, that's a piece of piss. Any twat can do that.

Taxis? Guests? Pfff. It's all about phone calls.

You could do the whole lot under €150,000 a year, I reckon. Then add all the money you'd make on 30c texts! So about €149,000.

I don't completely agree. I reckon that if you did it for as cheap as possible you'd probably get a show that isn't as good as it could be, you'd proabably get a show that everyone would be slating on boards.ie! I'm not trying to imply that it's all about the money, but it helps.

We're all looking for a professionally run and a professionally sounding show, something that compares with BBC. So IMO a show which only has phone interviews is not near as professional sounding or as good as a show with live guests in studio.

Bear in mind also that a lot of phone contributors also request payment for interviews.

I reckon two researchers because with a nightly show like that you would need to be completely up to date. You need somebody to get stories of the day and someone for breaking news around the globe.

Sorry, I meant two researchers five nights a week by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Sorry to bring up a rather older thread but was driving this evening and flicking throught the stations and when I got to Newstalk, I shivered when I heard Tom Dunne's voice. Was so used to hearing Declan Carty at that time of night and to think he has been replaced by a repeat of that gob****e's show maddens me like I don't know what.

Any news on NT refilling that slot with live radio? And any word on what Declan is doing now?

If he has been left jobless as a result of this it would be the media tragedy of the year. He was very good.

And here's an idea...How about replacing them two young bucks on the morning show with Declan and someone else who is better informed in current affairs than Claire and Ger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

kraggy wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up a rather older thread but was driving this evening and flicking throught the stations and when I got to Newstalk, I shivered when I heard Tom Dunne's voice. Was so used to hearing Declan Carty at that time of night and to think he has been replaced by a repeat of that gob****e's show maddens me like I don't know what.

Any news on NT refilling that slot with live radio? And any word on what Declan is doing now?

If he has been left jobless as a result of this it would be the media tragedy of the year. He was very good.

And here's an idea...How about replacing them two young bucks on the morning show with Declan and someone else who is better informed in current affairs than Claire and Ger...

My thoughts exactly!

Declan was a good solid presenter and he will be sorely missed. I think he was with Newstalk from the start which makes his axing all the more terrible.

Koloman wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly!

Declan was a good solid presenter and he will be sorely missed. I think he was with Newstalk from the start which makes his axing all the more terrible.

I couldn't agree with you more Koloman. Declan was brilliant in the evening imo. Nothing against Tom Dunne, but repeating his show in the evenings is criminal! And repeats from ten til whatever time (I think 6.30 or 7, I get into my car at about 7.15, so amn't sure) the following morning is absolutely ridiculous.

Hopefully some other station will take Declan's axing as an opportunity for some good informative evening discussion show.

Love him or loathe him his show was the best evening talk show on Irish radio and I don't think there's any arguing over that imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I dunno about listening to Claire Byrne....but I sure could look at her all day.....hmmmm yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 georgycomerford

I couldn't agree with you more Koloman. Declan was brilliant in the evening imo. Nothing against Tom Dunne, but repeating his show in the evenings is criminal! And repeats from ten til whatever time (I think 6.30 or 7, I get into my car at about 7.15, so amn't sure) the following morning is absolutely ridiculous.

Hopefully some other station will take Declan's axing as an opportunity for some good informative evening discussion show.

Love him or loathe him his show was the best evening talk show on Irish radio and I don't think there's any arguing over that imo.

"Brilliant"-Hee hee, it was a very poor show, regurgitating whatever was in the Heddild with non-entity County Councillors and the like. I listened to it quite a bit when driving as it was the ONLY talk show on national radio. You'd be listening for a long time before you'd get anything informative or insightful, most contributors would begin their sentece with "I don't know much about X but....". All black and white, never grey.

But I miss it.

"Brilliant"-Hee hee, it was a very poor show, regurgitating whatever was in the Heddild with non-entity County Councillors and the like. I listened to it quite a bit when driving as it was the ONLY talk show on national radio. You'd be listening for a long time before you'd get anything informative or insightful, most contributors would begin their sentece with "I don't know much about X but....". All black and white, never grey.

But I miss it.

Different Strokes for Different Folks Georgy. I used to really enjoy it, and in comparison to the nothing we already have for that hour of the evening on Irish National Radio it was brilliant!!

Advertisement