Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simulate a slow network connection?

Options
  • 01-12-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of a way to do this? a http proxy won't cut it for me as I need to test a number of non-standard ports.

Is there an app or feature in windows for doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Setup a modem if you can get your hands on one. and limit the connection speed on the modem drivers.

or does it have to be on a LAN? if it has to be on a lan you could try running something like bit torrent over your lan and have a large stream of data moving over the nic while your doing your tests.. will limit network speed..

neither ideal solutions thou..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Hobbes wrote: »
    Anyone know of a way to do this? a http proxy won't cut it for me as I need to test a number of non-standard ports.

Is there an app or feature in windows for doing this?

Easiest way to test right now is to install a free trial of netlimiter and limit the bandwidth to the application. It should be enough to simulate it. AFAIK to limit the bandwidth yourself you need to write a win32 network driver to get down low enough to manage the packets from the lan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Perfect Lynchie! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

A friend of mine did something like this with BSD (I know you said Windows) but it might be useful for other people in the future.

ipfw add pipe 1 ip from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to any

ipfw pipe 1 config bw 5000kbit/s

replace the xxx's with an IP address and it will limit the traffic from that IP to whatever you specifiy if the second command.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

MS have some network throttleing tools that you could use

• Advertisement
Advertisement