Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BRABUS chip

Options
  • 01-12-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine just got a Brabus chip put into their car. It's 3.2 diesel but apparently it gives the performance of a 5l petrol. anyone know how it works, he says he can't believe the difference it makes. Its in a E320 Merc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

A friend of mine just got a Brabus chip put into their car. It's 3.2 diesel but apparently it gives the performance of a 5l petrol. anyone know how it works, he says he can't believe the difference it makes. Its in a E320 Merc.

If it's the MKI chip then it's powered by magic pixies, if it's the MKII then it's pure whitchcraft :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Guarantee if he drives it like the 5 Litre Petrol he'll be replacing the clutch in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,246 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have a chip in my car too. It is made by a company called McCain. Here is their website: http://www.mccain.co.uk/

OP I think somebody is telling you porkies:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Car drivers - moronic question to follow; what does a chip actually do in a car? I'm on a motorbike & got a powercommander & a bunch of other mods, the powercommander does fuel mapping, which I understand & am guessing that's what a "chip" does, but I don't know for sure, so I must ask! :) p.s. if it is just a fuel mapping thing, I can't see how it could possibly make as much difference as the OP's mate is claiming.. I got a lot extra in the bike, but there was a few mods as well as fuel mapping to get the result I had..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Chips generally plays with the ECU and increase bhp and torque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Does it uprate the brakes,suspension etc to that of a 5 litre merc? wow! i think your mate got his diesel merc remapped and he was fed some lies which he is feeding to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

He says its to do with the acceleration and performance of the car, he swears by it, and would have no reason to lie about it. I was just wondering how it actually works.

He got it inserted when he bought the car from the Mercedes garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

jim o doom wrote: »
    Car drivers - moronic question to follow; what does a chip actually do in a car? I'm on a motorbike & got a powercommander & a bunch of other mods, the powercommander does fuel mapping, which I understand & am guessing that's what a "chip" does, but I don't know for sure, so I must ask! :) p.s. if it is just a fuel mapping thing, I can't see how it could possibly make as much difference as the OP's mate is claiming.. I got a lot extra in the bike, but there was a few mods as well as fuel mapping to get the result I had..

Most cars are mapped as standard to give economy, refinement and reliability.
    Sportsbikes are mapped for performance (1L bikes putting out near 200 bhp) so a power commander can not give the degree of performance increase as "chipping" a car which has much more scope for performance increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭rufio306

as far as ive ever heard about chipping or remapping is that a remap basically changes the ecu settings with regard to air/fuel intake and turbo boost, the main reason diesel cars benefit so well from from a remap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Brabus chips are pretty impressive, but the performance increase sounds like it is only comparing certain performance figures.

A 2004 S320 CDI outputs 204BHP. The same S500 outputs 306BHP.

The 320 gets from 0 - 60 in 7.9 seconds, whereas the S500 takes 6.3 seconds.

I would expect the BHP to increase by maybe 20% with a new chip, but you might get close to the 0 - 60 time for the S500. That doesn't necessarily make it as quick as the S500 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 RonnieT

He says its to do with the acceleration and performance of the car, he swears by it, and would have no reason to lie about it.

There's so many stories of the capabilities of chips to transform the common diesel into a fire breathing monster with nothing more than a remap of the fuel/air mix and a tweak of the turbo.

And if it's all true, answer this - why would Mercedes bother offering a 5.0 litre petrol engine when they could easily take their bog standard 3.2 diesel, do nothing other than swap a chip in the ECU and achieve the same acceleration ??? I think the original fairy dust theory was true.

And no one is going to pay out for a chip, have it fitted, then tell everyone they feel no difference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

jonnner wrote: »
    Most cars are mapped as standard to give economy, refinement and reliability.
    Sportsbikes are mapped for performance (1L bikes putting out near 200 bhp) so a power commander can not give the degree of performance increase as "chipping" a car which has much more scope for performance increase.

Generally speaking, mapping on a sports bike is done to tune the fueling to suit modifications to exhausts, filters and airboxes and to get rid of the flat spot that's usually engineered in to pass drive by noise tests. A race exhaust/airbox/filter without the necessary mapping or dynojet will usually result in worse performance, and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd say he did :pac::pac::pac:

randomer wrote: »
    Brabus chips are pretty impressive, but the performance increase sounds like it is only comparing certain performance figures.

I would expect the BHP to increase by maybe 20% with a new chip, but you might get close to the 0 - 60 time for the S500. That doesn't necessarily make it as quick as the S500 though.
    It obviously won't be exactly as good as the 5litre but at the same time it may give you some of the benefits of it. Hence why Mercedes don;t just lob them all into the 320's.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'd say he did :pac::pac::pac:

He is mates with the guy who owns the garage, so yes, he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

R.O.R wrote: »
    If it's the MKI chip then it's powered by magic pixies, if it's the MKII then it's pure whitchcraft :D

PMSL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stardust, witchcraft? And the rest :D
    I would expect the BHP to increase by maybe 20% with a new chip, but you might get close to the 0 - 60 time for the S500.

From your own figures, the BHP needs to increase by 50% with a new chip to get the same 0-60 time as the S500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It's pretty simple to explain.....

Your mate's a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Ok look no one here is knocking remapping,its a pretty good and proven way to get a little more out of an engine especially forced induction diesels and petrols,but to say a remap on a 320 diesel will make it perform like an S500 is nonsense,on the plus side he got his car remapped by a merc garage so if anything does go wrong i presume his warranty would be intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

unkel wrote: »
    From your own figures, the BHP needs to increase by 50% with a new chip to get the same 0-60 time as the S500.
    No it does not. There is about 1/3 of a tonne difference in weight between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Funny that this topic only popped up as I was only thinking about a Brabus chip the other day when the warranty expires on my 320CDI

The Brabus 320 CDI chip makes the following perfmance changes below to the standard engine. I have added the link below to the Brabus site so you can compare the Diesel v's petrol chips - personally it does not interest me - what I want is torque for overtaking which is what matters to me on the road everyday. The brabus site does not give the standard figures for an um modified MB but you can work it back if you want.

Figures vary slightly by models but this is for the E class - I suppose the big question is whether or not its a genuine Brabus chip or not.

Standard = 165kW, 224PS, 510Nm
    Brabus
    200 kW / +35kW
    272 PS / 48 PS
    590 Nm / + 80 Nm

Brabus Link

Stardust, witchcraft? And the rest :D

Just to clarify, I didnt say it would match the S500, presuming the engine is different to the E500.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just to clarify, I didnt say it would match the S500

Indeed you didn't
    Hobart wrote: »
    No it does not. There is about 1/3 of a tonne difference in weight between the two.

I didn't read the thread properly. I didn't spot that the OP was about an E class

Apologies!

And a standard new E320 CDI does 0-100 in 6.8s with the 7sp autobox. With the info from traco's link the Brabus chip gives an extra 35KW power or more than 20%. It's fair to assume that would take another good bit of a second of that time so it would probably come close to a current S500 petrol or even an E500 petrol alright

Indeed you didn't

I didn't read the thread properly. I didn't spot that the OP was about an E class

Apologies!

And a standard new E320 CDI does 0-100 in 6.8s with the 7sp autobox. With the info from traco's link the Brabus chip gives an extra 35KW power or more than 20%. It's fair to assume that would take another good bit of a second of that time so it would probably come close to a current S500 petrol or even an E500 petrol alright

He had a 320d before that, and can't believe the difference himself, turns out Brabus make pixie dust!

Advertisement