Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable Router for 3MG BB???? Advice needed

Options
  • 01-12-2008 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Folks,
    Need a little advice on what wireless router to buy. I have just got 3mg irish broadband into the house and want to get a wireless router for the laptops. Only problem is I'm not too clued up on whats needed.

As a home user is there any benifit of buying a wireless router of more than 54Mbps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I use a linksys wrt54g (a buffalo whr54g with DD-WRT more recently) with my 3Mb breeze. Both work fine with no problems.

To be honest, I am weary about using 802.11n wireless. Some people have good and bad experiences. It can also work out very expensive to buy a N router and N wireless cards.

802.11g (54Mbps) is adequate for most users, most of the time.

""IMPORTANT""

Ensure you get a broadband/cable router, NOT a DSL router. The latter has a modem built into it (like a 56K dialup modem which takes a phoneline cable). A broadband router has a RJ-45 WAN socket and a separate group of 4 RJ-45 sockets (plug the IBB cable from the power supply brick into the WAN socket). In other words, all the sockets should look the same, whereas, a DSL router will have a narrower RJ-11 WAN socket on its' own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

i can strongly advise you on what not to get and that is anything from belkin........you wouldnt believe the heartache...........i use a netgear with vista, never had a problem yet.

Advertisement