Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player attacks fan!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

That shouldnt of been a card TBH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Haha thats ridiculous.
    He was helpng the stewards.
    Must have been the ref's brother or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    That shouldnt of been a card TBH!

Well the tackle was fairly high. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How the fuck can the ref send him off?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think the card was for the ponytail and not the high tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm assuming this is in Greece?
    The guy and his club should take a case to UEFA

Ridiculous decision, he was helping the stewards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Violent conduct, the ref was correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Can't view the vid.

But it made me think.

I would have loved to have seen a Boards thread from the time when Eric Cantona jumped into the crowd.

Banfest tbh.

:D

Des wrote: »
    Can't view the vid.

But it made me think.

I would have loved to have seen a Boards thread from the time when Eric Cantona jumped into the crowd.

Banfest tbh.

Haha! Yeah it would've been fun alright. Think The Muppet would've had a lot to say! :pac::D

Des wrote: »
    Can't view the vid.

But it made me think.

Banfest tbh.

Basically a fan runs onto the pitch and as he runs by one of the players sticks a leg out an trips him. Stewards grab the guy and ref sends the player off. Laughable refereeing tbh.

I remember United playing Galatasary years back and a few Turkans ran onto the pitch. Schmeichel grabbed one of them by the throat and dragged him over to the stewards. Was heroic! The Dane wasn't sent off......

And yes, the Cantona incident would have seen the soccer forum closed down!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah good oul Matthew Simmons

article-0-023D4A5E0000044D-394_306x308.jpg

Basically a fan runs onto the pitch and as he runs by one of the players sticks a leg out an trips him. Stewards grab the guy and ref sends the player off. Laughable refereeing tbh.
    He kicked a fan who ran onto the pitch. I suggest you go read the laws of the game. The referee was correct.

CiaranC wrote: »
    He kicked a fan who ran onto the pitch. I suggest you go read the laws of the game. The referee was correct.

I suggest the ref use's common sense

Frisbee wrote: »
    I suggest the ref use's common sense
    Its there in the rules in black and white. The ref doesnt get to pick and choose which rules he applies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Its there in the rules in black and white. The ref doesnt get to pick and choose which rules he applies.

Ehhhh yes they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd like to see this rule tbh.

Edit.

Law 12 - Decision 1

A player who commits a cautionable or sending-off offence, either on or off the field of play, whether directed towards an opponent, a team-mate, the referee, an assistant referee or any other person, is disciplined according to the nature of the offence committed.

I don't think it's the fact that he tripped the guy up that got him the red card, I think it's just the way done it. At first it looked like he swung out and kicked the guy, but watching the replays he just put his leg out and it didn't seem half as bad as it initially looked. But still, a bit of common sense from the ref was needed.

Yeah it's in the rules.
    But the fan was disrupting the flow of the game, the ref should have used a bit of cop on and realised the player was helping the stewards to catch your man.

I remember a story where George Best was playing a match in Turkey and a Turkish fan got on the pitch and ran at him with a knife. So Best and Charlotn grappled with your man and managed to wrestle him to the ground.
    Should Best have stood there and let your man stab him because if he grappled your man he would have been sent off?*

*the guy actually just wanted to cut off a lock of Bestie's hair :D

Yeah it's in the rules.
    But the fan was disrupting the flow of the game, the ref should have used a bit of cop on and realised the player was helping the stewards to catch your man.

I remember a story where George Best was playing a match in Turkey and a Turkish fan got on the pitch and ran at him with a knife. So Best and Charlotn grappled with your man and managed to wrestle him to the ground.
    Should Best have stood there and let your man stab him because if he grappled your man he would have been sent off?*
    :rolleyes:

*the guy actually just wanted to cut off a lock of Bestie's hair :D
    Or at least that's what he told the police after he was caught.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

What?
    Your saying if it's in the rules in Black and White it has to be adhered to regardless of the situation.
    This is a fairly tame example, so I've given a much more serious one in order to see if you still think because it's there in black and white the ref should still stick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

aye thats retarded, he didn't exactly pummel the guy, just tripped him so the stewards could get him. Just silly reffing.

Kicking a fan on the pitch is a red-card offence. This was not in self defence.

Why would that automatically mean that George Best should 'allow himself to be stabbed'? What a stupid argument.

Violent conduct, the ref was correct.
    Kicking a fan on the pitch is a red-card offence. This was not in self defence.

Why would that automatically mean that George Best should 'allow himself to be stabbed'? What a stupid argument.

Wrsetling a fan to the ground is violent conduct.
    In the case of the George Best thing the ref displayed common sense, something this ref has never heard of apparently.

Wrsetling a fan to the ground is violent conduct.
    In the case of the George Best thing the ref displayed common sense, something this ref has never heard of apparently.
    One was self defence, the other wasnt. Jaysis.

In one a fan attacked a player, in the other a player attacked a fan... Its not that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

In one a fan attacked a player, in the other a player attacked a fan... Its not that hard.
    Soooo good that you had to say it twice...cop on and try some common sense ffs. The guy did not deserve to be sent off, although he was, and within the rules.

I also thought that refs were allowed to "interpret" the rules of the game for any given situation?

tripped not kicked mate. Yellow card at most.

But both were violent conduct.

And by your 'to-the-letter' approach they both deserve to go!

(Yes, I've used a very strong example, but fundementally the offences were the same, so Best and Charlton should have gone :))

tripped not kicked mate. Yellow card at most.
    Meh, looks like a kick to me. Doesnt look as bad in slow motion replay mode, but then , the ref doesnt have slow motion replay.

• Advertisement

(Yes, I've used a very strong example, but fundementally the offences were the same, so Best and Charlton should have gone :))
    Thats great, except they are not fundamentally the same, they are fundamentally different. In one, the player moves to kick a player who is no threat to him, who has passed him, and who isnt even looking at him, and in the other a player defends himself against a fan attacking him with a knife. One is violent conduct and one is not. If you cant see the difference, then i cant help you out.

Thats great, except they are not fundamentally the same, they are fundamentally different. In one, the player moves to kick a player who is no threat to him, who has passed him, and who isnt even looking at him, and in the other a player defends himself against a fan attacking him with a knife. One is violent conduct and one is not. If you cant see the difference, then i cant help you out.

Tripping a fan = Violent Conduct
    Wrestling a fan to the ground = Violent Conduct (as hard to believe, it is)

In one case the ref used common sense, in the other he didn't :)

Hobart wrote: »
    Soooo good that you had to say it twice...cop on and try some common sense ffs. The guy did not deserve to be sent off, although he was, and within the rules.

I also thought that refs were allowed to "interpret" the rules of the game for any given situation?
    Law 5 - The Referee

takes disciplinary action against players guilty of cautionable and sending-off offences. He is not obliged to take this action immediately but must do so when the ball next goes out of play
    Cautionable and sending off offences are not discretionary.

Tripping a fan = Violent Conduct
    Wrestling a fan to the ground = Violent Conduct (as hard to believe, it is)

In one case the ref used common sense, in the other he didn't :)
    Lol, defending yourself against a fan who runs onto the pitch to attack you with a knife is not violent conduct. Good grief.

Lol, defending yourself against a fan who runs onto the pitch to attack you with a knife is not violent conduct. Good grief.

By your previous comments that it is not down to the ref it IS violent conduct!
    Best didn't instigate it, but physically fighting with a someone on the field of play is Violent Conduct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

I remember United playing Galatasary years back and a few Turkans ran onto the pitch. Schmeichel grabbed one of them by the throat and dragged him over to the stewards. Was heroic! The Dane wasn't sent off......

And yes, the Cantona incident would have seen the soccer forum closed down!! :D
    In a Cup Winners Cup match against Galatasaray, Dennis Wise did the EXACT same thing as the guy in the video a few years back. Didnt get booked or anything. They had a good ref that night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jesus I'm sorry I posted it now after reading 2 pages of this crap.

By your previous comments that it is not down to the ref it IS violent conduct!
    Best didn't instigate it, but physically fighting with a someone on the field of play is Violent Conduct
    Once more for emphasis. Restraining a fan who is attacking you with a knife is not the same as deliberately moving towards and kicking a fan who isnt even looking in your direction. One is violent conduct, and the other isnt.

If you think they are the same, then Im afraid we'll have to agree to disagree old chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ciarán if he had tripped a player who had the ball, like that in the middle of a match, do you reckon he would have been sent off? I think he would get a yellow card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I thought the fan took a dive tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

IMO fans who run onto the pitch like that deserve everything they get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

why should that f*cker be called a fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Wonder what Graham Stack's punishment was when on loan in Belgium. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dave! wrote: »
    Ciarán if he had tripped a player who had the ball, like that in the middle of a match, do you reckon he would have been sent off? I think he would get a yellow card

If a player kicked out at another player off the ball he would be sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Meh, looks like a kick to me. Doesnt look as bad in slow motion replay mode, but then , the ref doesnt have slow motion replay.

Well, that needs to be fixed then. I propose that all refs have some sort of technology built into them that allows them to record and play footage in their heads. It should be able to slow down and rewind any action in the game.

That Graham Stack video is very funny tbh.

The player didnt deserve to get sent off either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If a player kicked out at another player off the ball he would be sent off.
    If he tripped him up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

I would seriously question any football fans knowledge on football if the believe that this was a sending off offence.

BOHS wrote: »
    I would seriously question any football fans knowledge on football if the believe that this was a sending off offence.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

It is a sending off offence, its violent conduct

Dave! wrote: »
    Agreed Dave, that would most likely be unsportsmanlike behavior, which would warrant a yellow card. But kicking/tripping a player off the ball when the ball is out of play, and knocking him arse over tit, when he wasnt looking at you, is violent conduct, and warrants a red card. Maybe harsh, but thems the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

BOHS wrote: »

This post makes absolutely no sense at all:confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He should have thrown a coin at him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement