Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"2nd Sitting" in Restaurants

Options
  • 01-12-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

One thing the Celtic Tiger brought was that dreadful "2nd Sitting" in restaurants.
    You go in at 7 pm, have a meal and get a ridiculously high bill stuck in your face at 8.45 and get told to leave as they want the table for the 2nd sitting
    Incidentally I have never come across this in mainland Europe.

I always ask about this when booking and never go if the establishment have this policy.

Perhaps in the coming months and years of recession restaurateurs will appreciate their customers and threat them properly.

Anyone else got a view on the "2nd Sitting"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Have personally stopped having first sittings myself, the price of eating out is scandalous and myself and Mrs jaysoose were in town meeting somebody the other night, we though about having a meal but then couldnt think of anywhere that was worth the money.

Getting a bit sick of listening to them bang on about Rates and wages etc...if its that hard then why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I tend not to use restaurants who have this policy for 2 reasons

a) The ' early sitting ' is too early
    b) The ' late sitting ' is too late.

It annoys me greatly when you phone for a table at say 8pm, and you get told usually with a triumphant voice that ' we only accept bookings at 7 or 9 blah blah blah'

Can anyone tell me , how can a kitchen cope with a restaurant filling up and all ordering at one time , isn't it better to have a steady flow of orders ?

On the odd occasion when I have used a restaurant , if its the ' early sitting ' the waiter sitting you usually says soemthing like ' you have to finish by nn:nn oclock ' to which I usually reply , well thats up to you and your service isn't it ! This often results in a confused look from the waiter concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

and "threat" them properly??

sending mixed messages here...oh god!?!!:eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Believe it or not a group of about 10 of us were asked to vacate a table in a restauant once so that a third sitting could be had at it. I only found this out afterwards - just as well really cos I would have let them have it with both barrels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

name and shame the restauraunts that are doing it ,post your details here

it hasnt happened me yet but i woouldnt be impressed if i was asked to leave before i was ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,404 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think it is too common for a name and shame campaign.

I honestly think its just something they have to do.

They may not make enough with one sitting and they make more than enough with 2 sittings but there is no in between (i.e. a half sitting). Anyway, assuming I'm not waiting on food I have no problem leaving in 2 hours personally. I completely agree it is something that should be overlooked in larger parties for sheerly practical reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As long a restaurant makes it clear to you when you book, then I have no problem. If it doesn't suit when making the booking, then I don't make it.

I often like to eat early in the evening, rather than late when you'll feel all stuffed and bloated.

As I said, as long as they tell you when making the booking, then it's all OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

madmik wrote: »
    name and shame the restauraunts that are doing it ,post your details here

I used to go to Kingsland on Dame Street all the time (perhaps once per week.)

I was there on a date, and within 45 minutes the manager had placed our bill on the table. We were still eating our main course. I could see there were a couple waiting for a table, and he obviously thought he'd give them ours.

As it was a date I didn't make a fuss, but of course I haven't gone there since.

They're idiots, as they probably made a few grand from me every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

dudara wrote: »
    As long a restaurant makes it clear to you when you book, then I have no problem. If it doesn't suit when making the booking, then I don't make it.

I often like to eat early in the evening, rather than late when you'll feel all stuffed and bloated.

As I said, as long as they tell you when making the booking, then it's all OK.

Exactly if you dont like it dont book it!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I used to go to Kingsland on Dame Street all the time (perhaps once per week.)

I was there on a date, and within 45 minutes the manager had placed our bill on the table. We were still eating our main course. I could see there were a couple waiting for a table, and he obviously thought he'd give them ours.

As it was a date I didn't make a fuss, but of course I haven't gone there since.

They're idiots, as they probably made a few grand from me every year.
    I would have said to the manager ... 'no thanks'

boo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I was there on a date, and within 45 minutes the manager had placed our bill on the table. We were still eating our main course.

In that case I'd just ignore the bill and continue on. Order another bottle of wine, some dessert and coffees. If the manager doesn't like it tell him you'll gladly settle up with the first bill you were given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

this happened to me a few times, asked to kinded finish up as the next booking was due to arrive.
    I answer by making sure I put my point across loud enough for other guests to here and mention that this was not stated to me during the time of booking and therefore I will not be moving until I have fully finished my meal, and if I decide to have a bottle of wine after my meal at the table I am the paying customer who's custom is keeping the staff in a job and therefore they have no right to move me until I ask for the bill.

I remember once a waiter squared it up to me for a row and threatened to call the guards as I refused to pay the bill for being moved in the middle of my meal, I did let him and waited for them to arrive, when they arrived I stated to them I was in the process of paying my bill but wanted to make a show of (myself of course) but the attitude of the management and staff in front of the whole restaurant full of diners,needless to say she wouldnt let me bring her back there :) but I hope a few others didnt return either. The cheek of them.

Advertisement