Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spotted: double decker buses back in Cork

• 01-12-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Saw them twice over the weekend on the Cork Ballincollig route. Badly needed on both city and suburban routes in the city by the Lee.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As in actual Bus Eireann bus? You sure it wasn't the Cork tour bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Certain. I know the tour buses. This was on the scheduled Cork-Ballincollig route and the tour bus doesn't go through Ballincollig - looked like a new bus too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The first of six new double-decks has indeed entered service on the Ballincollig service.

Photo is here:
    http://garaiste.yuku.com/topic/7074

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Is it true that these buses are not for Cork city services though? There are rumours of a different type of double deck bus for Cork? Something in the lines of a Scania..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I heard that only half the buses planned for Cork are actually getting to Cork, as Dublin Bus decided to blatently take them for their own use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Dam Jackeens taking our double decker buses

446597008_f811011a48.jpg?v=1175730432

:D

This is not true, the deadline for new buses in cork has not elapsed. Cork will be getting more new buses very soon. There are new scanias in Dublin awaiting entry in to service and also new adl buses, all have arrived in the last few days so Cork could be getting some of these. I'de say Cork will be seeing more new units before christmas. Wheather they will be looked after or not is a different days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its BE for Dublin commuter (Ashebourne etc) routes not Dublin Bus thats swiped them I believe...

MYOB wrote: »
    Its BE for Dublin commuter (Ashebourne etc) routes not Dublin Bus thats swiped them I believe...

Nobody swiped nothing. Cork were promised city deckers the new deckers in cork now are not city deckers. Cork will more than likley get the city double deck buses they are due. Dublin bus have taking delievery of their VG type bus. This is the same as the new deckers in Cork at the moment but in city style config, (bench seats instead of high back seating). The Dublin bus order has nothing what so ever to do with Bus Eireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I grabbed a quick video of one this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Was there any ever double deckers in Limerick? some pictures of these in service in cork would be nice

edit: thanks deRanged
    they look very good

1huge1 wrote: »
    Was there any ever double deckers in Limerick?

Yes Limerick had the old type KD deckers at one stage.

http://www.freewebs.com/limerickbus/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

There are 10 Wrights Gemini double deck buses being delivered to Bus Éireann.

4 of them are going onto the Dublin-Ratoath/Ashbourne routes and 6 are going to Cork, one of which is now in service on the Ballincollig route.

There are currently 32 tri-axle double deck coaches in the process of being delivered to Bus Éireann, the first of which are now in service in the greater Dublin area. Some of these should also be destined for Cork.

There are 25 Scania single-decks in build which are are for Cork city services.
    There are rumours of further double decks on order from Scania.

Dublin Bus meanwhile are taking delivery of the first of 100 new replacement buses, split into two types, 50 Wrights Geminis and 50 Alexander Volvo Enviro 400s.

A good photo of the new Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus Wrights Geminis is at:
    http://garaiste.yuku.com/topic/7084

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Limerick could do with double deckers at peak times on Raheen and Castletroy routes. Fully loaded single deckers are increasingly common (nothing will suck your will to live more than waiting 45 mins to an hour on a 15 min frequency route for a bus that can't actually fit everyone on board), and frequently have far too many people standing at the front (at the drivers cab/windscreen/doors area).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Zoney wrote: »
    Limerick could do with double deckers at peak times on Raheen and Castletroy routes. Fully loaded single deckers are increasingly common (nothing will suck your will to live more than waiting 45 mins to an hour on a 15 min frequency route for a bus that can't actually fit everyone on board), and frequently have far too many people standing at the front (at the drivers cab/windscreen/doors area).

This has been going on for years in Cork.

Zoney wrote: »
    God I know it all to well getting the bus from UL, I guess its Limerick's time to start the campaigning for double deckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you dont need 'deckers...you need more single deckers....journey time with a decker will be extended thus dis-improving the service

I think Limerick needs more routes to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

wayne2107 wrote: »
    Yes Limerick had the old type KD deckers at one stage.

http://www.freewebs.com/limerickbus/

:eek::eek: My old bus. :p

The number 3 to Rathbane.

I still remember the last double decker I got, it was in 1995 to Spaights.
    I was going to see Babe in the Savoy. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

and a picture:
    3081037310_91ea6d15b5.jpg

click for big.

• Advertisement
Advertisement