Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double decker buses back in Cork

Options
  • 01-12-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Spotted them twice over the weekend on the Cork Ballincollig route. Badly needed on more city and suburban routes. The number 8 could do with extra capacity too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

are these new buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

You sure the not the tourist buses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

If the drivers of the number 8 would stop and also leave on time I'd be happy.

Sick of them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

KC61 wrote: »
    The first of six new double-decks has indeed entered service on the Ballincollig service.

Photo is here:
    http://garaiste.yuku.com/topic/7074

^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I grabbed a quick video of one this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

How sad is it really that there are double deckers in Cork and we're "WoOwwoWOWO!!!" Sad state of affairs really.

Tazzle wrote: »
    How sad is it really that there are double deckers in Cork and we're "WoOwwoWOWO!!!" Sad state of affairs really.

not as sad as the london bendibus controversy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What routes are they on?

Ye realise the top floor will be just there for scumbags to harrass people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

There was meant to be 10 of these busses but Dublin stole IIRC 5 of them. Disgrace

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

towel401 wrote: »
    not as sad as the london bendibus controversy

Depends on whether or not you like buses really. I enjoyed the bendibus discussions, oh and I still miss the Routemaster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

For people who regularly get buses in Cork, double decker buses are brilliant news... Too many bus routes are jammed at certain times of the day, unless you get on the bus at the bus station or town, you're screwed (no.5 & 8 spring to mind)

Although we could also do with more buses & bus times on the timetables, and especially better reliability...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

440Hz wrote: »
    Depends on whether or not you like buses really. I enjoyed the bendibus discussions, oh and I still miss the Routemaster!

Buses!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2fZJR9JC0

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The buses will still be jammed bacause muppets will shuffle down the back and block the stairs and prevent folk going upstairs.

As sure as eggs are eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

jez these are NEW , way better looking than the ones we went to school on years ago lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

and a picture:
    3081037310_91ea6d15b5.jpg

click for big.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Do you chase buses for a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

best cafe in Cork, best potato pie in Cork, best Chipper in Cork....and now double deckers in Cork...the Cork City forum has reached a new low (or should that be high:rolleyes:)

best cafe in Cork, best potato pie in Cork, best Chipper in Cork....and now double deckers in Cork...the Cork City forum has reached a new low (or should that be high:rolleyes:)

It's the recession!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Alot of the routes like the the numbers 1,2,6,7 wont be able to get them though, I cannot see a double decer bus getting up Donnybrook hill!

Plus we will have to demand the trees are kept cut in, when I was a kid o the 223 route from Monkstown to the city, the upper deck windows were blown in by a branch on the Rochestown road! Quite a few passengers were very shook up by it!

they should put some of these on the #5. what did freaking ballincollig do to deserve these?

• Advertisement

Ok slightly OT from Cork buses but... I thought this was funny... the new buses that arrived on a shipment to Dublin from Germany last week, came straight off the ship with the destination board programmed to none other than the hip and happening destination of......

AM2.jpg

ABBEYDORNEY hahahah! I guess its an alphabetical thing, but.. Up the Kingdom all the same hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Ok slightly OT from Cork buses but... I thought this was funny... the new buses that arrived on a shipment to Dublin from Germany last week, came straight off the ship with the destination board programmed to none other than the hip and happening destination of......

ABBEYDORNEY hahahah! I guess its an alphabetical thing, but.. Up the Kingdom all the same hehe
    Haha,brilliant,ill keep an eye out for them passing my place!!

Last sundays top gear....

Classic!!

Oi you!! Who let you in here! Wrong county ya bogger :p

Abbeydorney is where all the hawt chicks are at

towel401 wrote: »
    Abbeydorney is where all the hawt chicks are at

lol!! How much are you being paid to say that?

lol!! How much are you being paid to say that?

the abbeydorney tourism board are paying me an undisclosed sum in a brown envelope.

gotta love these undisclosed sums. its only when you open it you find out.

Oi you!! Who let you in here! Wrong county ya bogger :p
    Less of that now!

Where are the "Hawt chicks"?

I havent experienced any!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 j2hig

thejuggler wrote: »
    Spotted them twice over the weekend on the Cork Ballincollig route. Badly needed on more city and suburban routes. The number 8 could do with extra capacity too.

Apparently the double deckers have problems makin it up the steep hills, cork being in a valley and all and put the engines under extreme stress. Probably because all the old double decker buses where pieces of **** anyway! Places like Ballincollig that are not up these steep hills should definetely get double deckers. Ares like Glanmire, Blarney, Blackrock, Bishopstown etc.
    I think something needs to be done about most bus routes begining from the bus station in the city centre. Whats so wrong with mini bus stations being located in sub urbs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

j2hig wrote: »
    Apparently the double deckers have problems makin it up the steep hills, cork being in a valley and all and put the engines under extreme stress.

No what actually happened is that Cork was promised 12 double deckers but as you'd expect with Bus Éireann, they decided that some of the buses we were promised would now go to Dublin instead meaning that we are only getting half the number we were promised:mad:!

That story above is almost certainly the greatest load of cock and bull ever and is probably being made up by BÉ as an "excuse" for the fact that we're not getting what we were promised.

Remember that BÉ's justification for getting rid of double deckers from Cork "because the EU was banning them" and there were no more being made, I think we all know how true that is:rolleyes:.

Advertisement