Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail - 2009 Timetable Published

• 01-12-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭

Am fairly new to commuting by train.

I see that the timetables only last until mid December and then what ?

Are they likely to remain the same or do they change the times each year ?

When and how do any changes get announced or do you keep checking their website ?

Do you get to find out on the day if they are changed or do they have an advanced warning of all changes ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

englander wrote: »
    Am fairly new to commuting by train.

I see that the timetables only last until mid December and then what ?

Are they likely to remain the same or do they change the times each year ?

When and how do any changes get announced or do you keep checking their website ?

Do you get to find out on the day if they are changed or do they have an advanced warning of all changes ?

Thanks

Normally we'd know by now, as the new timetable would have been announced. However, with the rather perilous financial situation currently prevailing, the company is under pressure to cut costs wherever it can.

Hence plans for increased services on the Galway, Waterford, and Mayo routes are likely to be delayed.

I'd expect few changes, with the new timetable just consolidating the various changes made during the year, and any new changes being cuts to off-peak services rather than new services.

Keep an eye on www.irishrail.ie as that's where it'll be uploaded to.

There may well be positive changes in mid and late 2009 when the Western Rail Corridor and Midleton lines open for business, and the remaining railcars are delivered and commissioned into service. The latter should mean improvements for the Rosslare route, at least in terms of quality of train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

would this be them possibly?
    http://irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetables_2009.asp
    These timetables are valid from Sunday 14th December 2008 until further notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Less carraiges, more delays, a few strikes and a fare increase. Probably.

There are very few new changes in this timetable - it consolidates all of the changes that have taken place on the Dublin-Cork, Dublin-Mallow-Tralee, Dublin-Westport, Dublin-Longford, and Cork-Cobh routes "for operational reasons" up until now but which are now cast in stone.

Some off-peak Connolly or Docklands-Clonsilla services are also cancelled, as is the 1734 Bray-Mullingar on Saturdays.

The 0515 Cork-Dublin train is now advanced to 0505.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

irish rail and timetable.?:D:D:D.......................havent laughed so much in a ,ong time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

No changes to Dublin-Waterford-Dublin. No train every 2 hours as promised. It does however say on the website that further changes expected in Spring 2009. Will wait and see.

fitzyshea wrote: »
    No changes to Dublin-Waterford-Dublin. No train every 2 hours as promised. It does however say on the website that further changes expected in Spring 2009. Will wait and see.

The economic circumstances have changed significantly, and with falling passenger numbers across the CIÉ Group and LUAS I would imagine that there will be some rethinking of strategy and future timetable patterns.

As it is there are still 6 6-car sets to enter into service and 5 further 6-car sets and 3 3-car sets yet to be delivered, so Spring may well run into Summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I was expecting no changes to the Sligo timetable but i thought we would loose the 17:15 and the 18:18 to Longford and Irish Rail would extend the 21:07 to Maynooth to Mullingar and the 06:45 from Enfield would be moved back to Longford leaving at 05:30. I am impressed that the Sligo train will now be stopping at Kilcock and Enfield alot more with no change to the journey time. I was also expecting one more train a day to Waterford/Galway but with this timetable not set in stone for twelve months and with more of the Kildare route project coming together I sure this will be altered. I thought there was to be five trains a day to Westport in this years table with the new nine car trains were three cars would divide off at Athlone and hear to Westport and the remaining six rail cars would head to Galway. This would save alot on the rail line from Portarlingon To Athlone and would leave an extra slot in the Hueston line for commuter services to Carlow/Portlaoise/Kildare. IMO the rail line from Mullingar to Athlone should be reopened for extra offpeak Westport services and off peak Sligo Services where two three car trains could be merged and split in Mullingar and save the heavily used Portarlington to Athlone railway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I see they've given up on the increased service on Cobh/Cork. Shame, given the progress on the line and stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Over on this thread they've said that the planned 5 trains Westport/Dublin will be implemented in September. As I recall hearing (from one of the conductors) the plan would be to connect to the Galway line with those in a train that would head back to Westport, I guess more or less immediately. The thread above says there'll be an early-bird to arrive Dublin ca. 09:00, though, which means it couldn't, unless they're putting on another Galway train (since those arrive at 08:10 and 09:45 currently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They may also be restructuring the Galway timetable. Galway is meant to get hourly peak, every two hours off-peak, although I understand that there isn't quite enough demand for that in Galway at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

No wonder, with Gobus.

Victor, that's interesting. I wonder where the second Westport run will be timetabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Victor wrote: »
    They may also be restructuring the Galway timetable. Galway is meant to get hourly peak, every two hours off-peak, although I understand that there isn't quite enough demand for that in Galway at the moment.

Hasn't that plan been scuppered by cutbacks last June 08?

With An Bord Snp looking for 55 million euro's in saving from CIE I feel that the current timetable will be scaled back somewhat. I pretty sure were are going to loose some services on the Sligo line. We may not loose the intercity but the 17:15 and 18:18 ex connolly will probably get the axe. In the case of an hourly peak service to Galway this could be achievable if the Mullingar to Athlone line was opened. I think that if the 16:00 to Sligo orignated in Mullingar instead of Connolly this would provide a extra slot for Galway. An hourly service all day from Galway could be feasable if this line was opened and a Cork standard train was used were passenger from Westport could merge at Athlone and Sligo passenger could merge at Mullingar and bring one train to Connolly instead of two and the next hour the Galway train could pass down by Tullamore covering the whole of the midlands with this form of service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

so at a time when an bord snip are looking for cutbacks, you're arguing for a re-opening of a dead line at substantial cost, ignoring the fact that numbers on the galway line aren't great and further arguing for an hourly all-day service for galway? reality check?

You have to look at the bigger picture It is a fixed assets that is costing the state money annually I have no idea what is costs but my argument is that offpeak service from Sligo/Westport could merge into one train at Mullingar/Athlone respectively and sent one train to Connolly. If this was to save for example 30k a day in maintenance and operational costs and other fixed costs you could recoup the money for this line in a five to seven year period. The reason why there is not much take up for the Galway service is it not frequent enough it needs to be horly all day and this will bring patronage to the service.The mentality of an bord snip will be a short term until Ireland becomes more competitive and it will be back to where we were spending money like there is no tomorrow. With the introduction of the Ennis/Athenry line in the near future the numbers using the Galway train will rise that is inevitable. I assume that the line from Athenry to Tuam will goahead with the next twelve months as I know from friends of mine that the traffic on the north of Galway is cronic daily due to inadequate infrastructure

T Corolla wrote: »
    With An Bord Snp looking for 55 million euro's in saving from CIE I feel that the current timetable will be scaled back somewhat. I pretty sure were are going to loose some services on the Sligo line. We may not loose the intercity but the 17:15 and 18:18 ex connolly will probably get the axe. In the case of an hourly peak service to Galway this could be achievable if the Mullingar to Athlone line was opened. I think that if the 16:00 to Sligo orignated in Mullingar instead of Connolly this would provide a extra slot for Galway. An hourly service all day from Galway could be feasable if this line was opened and a Cork standard train was used were passenger from Westport could merge at Athlone and Sligo passenger could merge at Mullingar and bring one train to Connolly instead of two and the next hour the Galway train could pass down by Tullamore covering the whole of the midlands with this form of service

There has been no suggestion of any cutback in services on any routes (other than suggestions from An Bord Snip Nua). Instead some trains that are operated by 6-car trains may be operated by 3-car trains instead. The 1715 is a busy service and I certainly would not see that being curtailed. However, the 1818 (1734 ex-Bray) should have been terminated at Enfield as usage beyond that point is limited. It could then have been used for a 2100 to Mullingar/Longford. The last plan that I heard of suggested that the early morning service from Enfield would in fact start in Mullingar.

An hourly peak service to Galway is perfectly possible using existing infrastructure - the problem has been a lack of sufficient railcars. As for operating via Mullingar, you forget that Maynooth-Connolly is already very busy and remains a two-track railway with little scope for additional Intercity services as they would get stuck in between slow commuter services.

Splitting services at Mullingar is not really an option as they would arrive/depart at separate platforms. However, splitting trains at Athlone could work and as such a 6 coach train could leave Dublin (2 x 3-piece railcars) and then split at Athlone with one 3-piece operating to Galway and the other to Westport. Obviously this would only work in off-peak periods.

KC61 that is a good suggestion you have put forward. My reasoning for a hourly train from Galway with service from Sligo and Westport merging in Mullingar and Athlone is that one large train heads to Connolly taking up the existing slot that is provided to the Sligo service currently.I dont think you could provide a viable hourly service on current infrastructure as with the current suitation there would be need for double tracking from Portarlinton to Athlone to provide this. I take on board you point that the trains would be departing from different stations. I am thinking about the Phoinex park tunnell is this a viable option? and sent the train across to Hueston instead. I agree that a 21:00 train ex connolly to Longford with a similar timetable to the 18:00 to Longford should be brought to being and the 18:18 should terminate at Enfield and be sent back to Connolly. I made inquires on the early bird service from Enfield been started from Mullingar instead but recieved nothing back on it been changed

• Advertisement

KC61 that is a good suggestion you have put forward. My reasoning for a hourly train from Galway with service from Sligo and Westport merging in Mullingar and Athlone is that one large train heads to Connolly taking up the existing slot that is provided to the Sligo service currently.I dont think you could provide a viable hourly service on current infrastructure as with the current suitation there would be need for double tracking from Portarlinton to Athlone to provide this. I take on board you point that the trains would be departing from different stations. I am thinking about the Phoinex park tunnell is this a viable option? and sent the train across to Hueston instead. I agree that a 21:00 train ex connolly to Longford with a similar timetable to the 18:00 to Longford should be brought to being and the 18:18 should terminate at Enfield and be sent back to Connolly. I made inquires on the early bird service from Enfield been started from Mullingar instead but recieved nothing back on it been changed

I will repeat - an hourly service to/from Galway via Portarlington is perfectly possible using existing infrastructure (without doubling track etc.).

There is no need to go via Mullingar at all - it is longer/slower. That route might be useful for a commuter service from Athlone. But remember the current station is to the south of that line, which means any train coming along it would have to reverse.

I can't see how you would use the Phoenix Park tunnel? Are you suggesing that a train would come from Mullingar to Glasnevin Junction, reverse, operate via the tunnel and then reverse again to arrive at Heuston???? My point was that trains would be arriving/departing at Mullingar from different platforms not Dublin!! The junction between the line to Sligo and that to Athlone is east of the station!!! So hence joining/splitting trains there is not going to happen.

The early bird ex-Mullingar was being discussed at one stage - we'll have to wait to see whether it flies or not! Station staff/enquiry lines will not have information about this until it is finally confirmed and timetables/rosters published.

KC61 thank you for explaining the suitation with regard to the tunnell, I have only heard that this tunnell could be used for Hueston to Connolly services. I understand that if the line via Mullingar was to be used that the new station in Athlone is not currently on this line. I suggest that the Mullingar line be fitted into the current line allowing the existing stations to be used as both lines run pretty close to one another in Athlone. The old line from Mullingar is quite straight in layout as I have walked it on occasion and was surprised how straight it was since no structural work had been done to it in years. The one problem I see in Athlone is where the two lines run near to one another there is a housing estate so maybe somewhere between Moate and Athlone the old line could move into the currently used line. You feel that the existing infrastructure could support an hourly service do you think this could be achieved by merging all Westport services into Galway services and splitting them again at Athlone. I see you point there as currently there are almost hourly services from Athlone

KC61 thank you for explaining the suitation with regard to the tunnell, I have only heard that this tunnell could be used for Hueston to Connolly services. I understand that if the line via Mullingar was to be used that the new station in Athlone is not currently on this line. I suggest that the Mullingar line be fitted into the current line allowing the existing stations to be used as both lines run pretty close to one another in Athlone. The old line from Mullingar is quite straight in layout as I have walked it on occasion and was surprised how straight it was since no structural work had been done to it in years. The one problem I see in Athlone is where the two lines run near to one another there is a housing estate so maybe somewhere between Moate and Athlone the old line could move into the currently used line. You feel that the existing infrastructure could support an hourly service do you think this could be achieved by merging all Westport services into Galway services and splitting them again at Athlone. I see you point there as currently there are almost hourly services from Athlone

You are talking about building a completely new line rather than simply reopening an existing one. That is not going to happen. Full stop. An element of reality is needed here - the only suggestions that are going to be considered are those involving existing infrastructure. The costs would be far too high.

The other problem with your suggestion regarding the station in Athlone is that the line from Mullingar is on a gradient as it approaches the junction with the line from Portarlington and the existing station - hence no platform could be built.

Your only option would be to reopen the MGWR station on the west of the Shannon which is very remote from the town centre.

As far as what can happen. There is scope for operating an hourly service between Heuston/Galway and v.v. without changing the infrastructure. Allowing for that, separate Heuston/Mayo services can also operate OR trains could be split at Athlone, with one continuing to Galway and one to Mayo.

There are sufficient paths available out of Heuston and beyond Portarlington to allow this. Pathing would be tight, but it can be done. The ideal situation would be to redouble at least some of Portarlington-Athlone and Athenry-Galway.

My point was that trains would be arriving/departing at Mullingar from different platforms not Dublin!! The junction between the line to Sligo and that to Athlone is east of the station!!! So hence joining/splitting trains there is not going to happen.

My point in relation to this is that at Mullingar the Sligo passengers would get off the Sligo train and board the Galway train Dublin bound no need for a train to connect/disconnect. I have often heard that the Sligo service had low patronage beyond Mullingar in offpeak peroids. This is currently the suitation with the Tralee train services where passenger for Kerry change in Mallow, Clare passengers change trains in Limerick and with the new Midelton railway passenger with change in Cork for their train and passenger south of Athenry will have to get off the Galway train at Athenry.

My point was that trains would be arriving/departing at Mullingar from different platforms not Dublin!! The junction between the line to Sligo and that to Athlone is east of the station!!! So hence joining/splitting trains there is not going to happen.

My point in relation to this is that at Mullingar the Sligo passengers would get off the Sligo train and board the Galway train Dublin bound no need for a train to connect/disconnect. I have often heard that the Sligo service had low patronage beyond Mullingar in offpeak peroids. This is currently the suitation with the Tralee train services where passenger for Kerry change in Mallow, Clare passengers change trains in Limerick and with the new Midelton railway passenger with change in Cork for their train and passenger south of Athenry will have to get off the Galway train at Athenry.

Either way I cannot see this line reopening anytime soon. There is no need for it at present. Galway/Mayo can be served perfectly adequately with the existing line via Portarlington, with the potential for merged off-peak services and scope for expansion.

Some of the Sligo services are already operated by 3-car sets in the off-peak, so there is no real issue there (0705, 0905 and 1305 ex-Dublin/1100, 1300 and 1700 ex-Sligo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

KC61 wrote: »
    splitting trains at Athlone could work and as such a 6 coach train could leave Dublin (2 x 3-piece railcars) and then split at Athlone with one 3-piece operating to Galway and the other to Westport. Obviously this would only work in off-peak periods.

An excellent suggestion.

Exactly costs very little to implement and would save on drivers who will be needed to operate commuter/dart services that are planned on the Hueston line post KRP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

"Joined" services are handy (I will be getting a VIA Rail train on Monday which will be loco+4+loco+4) but it tends to work best starting from a terminus rather than linking up on the way back to insure against one train delaying the other.

(also re: Galway - it will be interesting to see if the GWY-DUB PSO getting chopped, if it happens, boosts demand for rail)

What is it with CIÉ anyway? It's now past the middle of August. Apparently the new Westport line schedule is to take effect sometime in September. I can book tickets online as far ahead as 28 days... yet the new Westport schedule has not been announced, and seats on the new services can't be booked.

Why hasn't the schedule been published? Is it a secret?

• Advertisement

Yoda wrote: »
    What is it with CIÉ anyway? It's now past the middle of August. Apparently the new Westport line schedule is to take effect sometime in September. I can book tickets online as far ahead as 28 days... yet the new Westport schedule has not been announced, and seats on the new services can't be booked.

Why hasn't the schedule been published? Is it a secret?

It's still not finalised I understand - the current date for the new timetable is supposed to be September 27, but that may still change.

I guess you work for CIÉ? (I don't know how else one would know.)

It still seems odd that it has to be so secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The 27th September is common knowledge in dribbler circles and, indeed, several probable timetables have already been leaked onto the net. However , the viaduct collapse at Malahide may have an effect on it not to mention the re-definition of 'Summer' when it comes to the WRC opening! :D

"Dribbler"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A derogatory term for train spotters.

Yoda wrote: »
    I guess you work for CIÉ? (I don't know how else one would know.)

It still seems odd that it has to be so secret.

I certainly do not work for CIE - I just have a very long standing interest in public transport, use it every day of the week and I understand how these things work. Timetables tend to change in their draft status right up to the last minute before they become public.

• Advertisement

A derogatory term for train spotters.

As I said before I think that everyone is entitled to their interests without being knocked for it. It doesn't require a descent into abuse.

I've an interest in public transport, use it daily, and I do actively keep in contact with the companies.

Advertisement