Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domains - rules

Options
  • 01-12-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have always stuck to .com's and .net's in the past for domains but I have a new project that I may be working on soon, and from reading the various domain registrars it seems that .ie's are very tightly regulated compared with other domains?

In this case the domain I am registering is not on behalf of a business. Merely just for myself as I aim to create a site which may or may not feature advertising at a later date, but it will not be a business site, more a personal site that I wish to run for people who share same interests / issues etc.

From looking at various places it seems that this is not allowed with a .ie registration and some registrars even say I need a signed letter. Can someone explain to me what are the dos and don'ts with regards to IE domains. It doesn't seem like .co.uk's where you can use them for what you like!

Cheers

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If the domain is a bit obscure and you fax a letter to the IEDR explaining how you have spent a lot of time and money developing a website for the domain, and how the domain will be a non-commercial venture, I would say you will get it no problem.

I have done that in the past and it's been grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

Seems a bit of hassle really. So say if I wanted to do a consumer site about Laptops with reviews, forums and discussion and things like this in the Irish Marketplace (It's not about laptops, but the same features about something else - I don't want to give the subject out to prevent someone getting my domain) and I called it laptopreview.ie, would there be any problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    Seems a bit of hassle really. So say if I wanted to do a consumer site about Laptops with reviews, forums and discussion and things like this in the Irish Marketplace (It's not about laptops, but the same features about something else - I don't want to give the subject out to prevent someone getting my domain) and I called it laptopreview.ie, would there be any problem with that?

Getting that without an RBN from the CRO would be awkward.

I could just get the .com or .net, but as it's aimed at Ireland rather than global would prefer the .ie It's a little insane rule if you asked me, I'd assume it would be the same as it is in the UK and for ,net's .com's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I could just get the .com or .net, but as it's aimed at Ireland rather than global would prefer the .ie It's a little insane rule if you asked me, I'd assume it would be the same as it is in the UK and for ,net's .com's etc.
    Unfortunately it's not that simple with IE domains.

A simple way around it is to register a business name that is a bit generic and then use the discretionary name route to get other domains..

Of course once you have the domain that's it - they won't take it back from you unless you've infringed somebody's trademark

• Advertisement

Ok - something I can look into.

So if I did register a business name. What does this entail. I don't have a business and this will not be as part of a business itself. Do you have to have a company bank account or to be trading, have a registered company or anything like this to get the domain?

It's just me running a website that I feel people will find useful. I don't want to create a company out of it or a venture or anything like that. Just run a website for personal use and create a community.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

Do you have to have a company bank account or to be trading, have a registered company or anything like this to get the domain?

No
    So if I did register a business name. What does this entail.

1. Use http://www.cro.ie/ to ensure that a company with the same name does not already exist:
    http://www.cro.ie/search/

2. Create an account with CORE
    http://www.core.ie/

3. Complete the RBN1 online form

4. Print and Sign completed form

5. If you live in dublin bring the completed form to the CRO office on Parnell Square. (bringing in the form yourself is the fastest way to get this through)

6. Give the man behind the desk €20 and a smile & he will give you a stamped copy of your form and a receipt

7. Purchase a .ie domain online from an Irish hosting company (in my opinion)

8. During the process you will be asked for you RBN1 number and have you proof etc.

9 Complete purchase

10. You will receive an email from the hosting company asking you to fax in the RBN1 to them

11. In a few days they will issue you with the .ie domain

It's just me running a website that I feel people will find useful. I don't want to create a company out of it or a venture or anything like that. Just run a website for personal use and create a community.

As long as you not trying to buy www.hot_teens.ie or some **** like that, then you will get it.;)

Advertisement