Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Carr has retired

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Sad = Yes
    Hard to believe = No

He was a great defender, but he was made look better than he was by his pace. At 32 I'd say he really doesn't have the pace he used to, and so lost a big part of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Very sad, thought he had a lot more to give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think it is hard to believe he left a prem club and couldn't find another willing to take him.

Maybe he he wouldn't go to a club below the Championship or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I can't believe he wouldn't ... the standard is high in the championship... most of his fellow countrymen are playing there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad to hear. He was very good at Spurs and was a good servant to Ireland for many years. Made the right-back slot his own.

Who could forget that screamer of his against United either.

All the best to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I know it sounds harsh but I lost respect for Carr a long time ago. I think he lost his passion for the game a long time ago and was just picking up his wages. Lazy player imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I know it sounds harsh but I lost respect for Carr a long time ago. I think he lost his passion for the game a long time ago and was just picking up his wages. Lazy player imo.
    Agreed, never liked him whatsoever, anytime I see him play he has an angry look on his ugly face, and always seems to be giving out to other players when anything goes wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Good riddance.... an ill-tempered man that blamed others all the time. I'm sure he is quite well-off so fcuk him. I'd love to retire at 32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Agreed he'd retired mentally about 5 years ago.

Wonderully warm tributes on this thread to a guy who won 44 caps. :rolleyes:

No wonder Stephen Ireland doesn't want to come back. Miserable begrudgery is all you get in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stephen Carr was magnificent for both club and country until the serious knee injuries started to take their toll. He was never the same after he injured it in 2005.

I wish him all the best in retirement.

Ps. To those that talk about him being lazy, some people were starting to say the same about Damien Duff but he has shown this year that after getting over his injuries and returning to his very best that it was all just rubbish talk from those with nothing better to do. To say that sort of stuff about Stephen Carr is just nonsense from those who try to cover up their lack of knowledge with stupid remarks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Wonderully warm tributes on this thread to a guy who won 44 caps. :rolleyes:

No wonder Stephen Ireland doesn't want to come back. Miserable begrudgery is all you get in this country.

Only a select few players are good enough to play football at the highest level. Most are born with a gift that millions of others would love to have. When you see someone waste their talent it's a real shame.

It's nothing to do with begrudgery. As for Stephan Ireland from what I hear he one of the most dedicated players you will find. Nobody could ever accuse him of taking his talents for granted. I've alot more respect for Stephan Ireland than Carr.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Stephen Carr was magnificent for both club and country until the serious knee injuries started to take their toll. He was never the same after he injured it in 2005.

I wish him all the best in retirement.

Ps. To those that talk about him being lazy, some people were starting to say the same about Damien Duff but he has shown this year that after getting over his injuries and returning to his very best that it was all just rubbish talk from those with nothing better to do. To say that sort of stuff about Stephen Carr is just nonsense from those who try to cover up their lack of knowledge with stupid remarks.
    Get your tongue out of his ar*e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

+1. Like many other players he retired when he went to Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I would imagine this 'retirement' is more a case of nobody willing to take a chance on his fitness.

for all the begrudgers, lknee injuries can seriously f*ck you up and they do plenty of irreversable damage. I think it's a shame, i don't think Carr ever reached his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Agreed, never liked him whatsoever, anytime I see him play he has an angry look on his ugly face, and always seems to be giving out to other players when anything goes wrong

so you hated Ince, Keane, Batty, Adams, Keown, Ruddock the list goes on.

alot of harsh comments in my opinion, you'd swear yee know him personally

Trilla wrote: »
    so you hated Ince, Keane, Batty, Adams, Keown, Ruddock the list goes on.

alot of harsh comments in my opinion, you'd swear yee know him personally
    Never mentioned hate, but no I wouldn't say I liked any of those players

You could equally say that you'd swear all of ye know him the way you are all sticking up for him

It is clear that he was at one stage a decent footballer who was unlucky with injuries, doing alright for Ireland in his 44 games before retiring from international duty very young (twice), that doesn't mean that anyone should have to start praising him on some message board when he retires

You could equally say that you'd swear all of ye know him the way you are all sticking up for him

It is clear that he was at one stage a decent footballer who was unlucky with injuries, doing alright for Ireland in his 44 games before retiring from international duty very young (twice), that doesn't mean that anyone should have to start praising him on some message board when he retires

What a sorry comment this is.

God forbid people praise a retiring footballer who gave good service to his country.

The bitterness of some people knows no bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I used to think he was a quality player around 2000

Shame really injurys ruined his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Remember in his days at Spurs he was linked with Man United and I was really hoping there were truth in the rumours. Was an excellant full back before injuries ruined him unfortunitly. Surprising that some club couldnt find a place for him for a couple of seasons although he was very poor in his last season at Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Strange thread:

- In my opinion, there was a significant disparity between what Carr was producing on the pitch and his reputed abilities for a number of years now. Possibly from as far back as the 2003 - 2004 season. Whether that was due to a loss of appetite for the grind of professional football - or bad luck from injuries is difficult to say. I have to assume that if he wanted to stay in football in some way - a professional outfit somewhere would have him. Ultimately, his influence has gradually waned season after season - to a point that I had forgotten about him. And maybe that says something in itself;

- However, the haters in this thread should stop and think for a second. Stephen Carr is voluntarily retiring (cause if he really needed or wanted to play on I'm sure he could) from his primary profession as a multi millionaire. At 32. He's having the last laugh lads;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

That has to be the most stupid thing I've read on here in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Great player in his day, particularly at Spurs.

Great for Spurs but I always felt he was on a steep downhill slope during his time at Newcy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

It was that injury which kept him out of WC '02, since which I don't think he ever had that blistering pace again.

Wasn't their talk of him going to Gunners from Spurs back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Great player in his day,
    Didnt he win back to back fans player of the year with spurs??

Best of luck to him and i don't understand the haters on this thread.
    Hopefully a couple of spurs fans can post and tell us about how good he was in the peak of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Best of luck to him but I've read people saying here that he wasn't the same player since 05, I think he went downhill fast around 2001 or that but for a few years at the turn of the century he was probably the best right back in the premiership.

The fair thing to say about his demise was that it was down to injuries, calling him lazy is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,132 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he was still playing regular premier league football last season, so his injuries can't have been that serious (alright, they may have slowed him down a little). I don't believe no championship club would take him on on at least a pay-per-play basis.

He's clearly decided he's had enough, he's made his money and he's not willing to drop down a division or take a reduced paypacket. Fair enough - its his decision. I'd imagine playing at the circus that is Newcastle for several years would sap the enthusiasm out of any player.

Advertisement