Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intervarsity MMA / BJJ

Options
  • 01-12-2008 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

hi all, i attend DCU & was recently talking to bobby from UCD about possibly setting up an intervarsity competition for next semester. if anyone from UCD or their committee could get in contact it would be appreciated & also if any other uni's clubs where interested in jumping in on the action let me know so we can see what can be set up. thanks fo your time & hope to hear back from anyone interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Hey hows things? Its a really interesting idea. My name is Mark and im coaching/training out of UL this year. I have a group of all new guys who started in October who have expressed interest in competing next semester. Obviously the league was mainly what I was going to focus at, but the more competition and experience the better!

I was wondering what rules etc you were thinking of? experience levels and weight categories? same format at the league? and roughly when were you thinking of doing it?

Cheers!

Hope it gets running:).

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

NUI Maynooth would enter, those boys are on fire at the minute!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

i only started this semester myself. but was thanking to oisin, the coach in DCU, i think the main area to start with would be a jiujitsu white belt rules to begin with & possibly if there are more experienced people we might look into something for them as well. the best to get things rolling would be to leave a message for oisin on the cluib site "http://www.bebo.com/DCUMMA" & he'll get in contact with you all. thanks for showing the interest & here's to an intervarsity comp going ahead.

White belt rules? so is it a BJJ comp or an MMA comp your looking to do?

it would be more BJJ to get things going but i'm sure oisin along with some of the lads might be interested in mma as well. as for the rules he said about white belt rules. if you want to get in contact with him PM me & i'll send you his email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It would be intervarsity BJJ then ;)

I could get the lads involved in our judo club here in WIT to take part for one of the legs.

sorry about the mix up with the title we're looking more for a BJJ comp but i'm sure some people may be interested in a MMA comp as well. does anyone know how to change the title of this thread or does a moderator have to do it? if a mod is watching can it please be changed to "intervarsity MMA / BJJ"?
    thanks for all the responses do lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You should be able to edit it yourself. Click on edit and then advanced.

thanks for that mate.

dlofnep wrote: »
    It would be intervarsity BJJ then ;)

lol:D

Yeah sounds like a BBJ comp to me. None of my guys have gi's and have never trained gi. If there was a subgrappling/no gi I could have some guys for it. There is however also a seperate BJJ club in UL who do Gi all the time, So I could let them know if your looking for a BJJ tournie.

• Advertisement

it would be a no gi bjj tournie we'd be after as we don't use them ourselves. sorry about all these mix ups lads but as i've already stated this is my first semester doing this but i'll try get oisin on boards to sort it all out. & thanks for all the patience being shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RearNakedJim

I am the ucdmma coach and very few of them have gi's either so i would say the best thing would be a subgrappling competition following the nation sub championship ruleset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Sub wrasslin' all the way. I've never rolled in a gi myself and I'm not going to go out and buy one for an intervarsity.

Jim has it on the button I think, use the National Submission Championship rules, novice rules would be ideal (no leglocks) for guys just starting off, or for guys like myself who think they're cheap (I don't know how to use them). It'll be painful for those who can't pass guard though.

Cactus Jack, PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

I spoke about this with Brian Fury (best name ever btw, do you have any application forms for S.H.I.E.L.D.?) a while back and passed his info on to the guy running QUB BJJ - they'd definitely be interested.

Someone just needs to get the finger out and set a date - i recommend speak to Colm (O'Reilly) if you want to set up a tournament in UCD as he has already run several very good tournaments there.

can the coaches from the different uni's interested send me there contact info so i can pass it on to oisin & we can start getting something put in place. thanks again for all the interest & hope to see you all when we get this going.

Cactus Jack, I don't know how things are run in DCU but in UCD at least these clubs are run by students, not the coaches. Usually the coach is employed by the club and doesn't have a responsibility in the day to day running of the club.

Your best bet is to send an email to the clubs who've been mentioned here and address it to their captain/chairperson. I'd do it but I just don't have the free time at the moment. I've sent on my details to you anyway.

A sub grappling tournie based on Colm O'Reilly's format sounds great! I really hope we can get this going. Ive sent on my contact details to you cactus jack anyway. Hope to hear from you soon. :cool:

to try clear up any confusion i'm after contact info from anyone who can help in the setting up of the comp. sorry for the mix up on the coaches front but here oisin mainly trains us while being a student himself. while we do have a jiujitsu coach who comes in every so often.

I'll have a chat with Colm O'Reilly about it over the weekend. Cactus Jack, quick question, while we'd be more than happy to host a sub comp, booking the Sport Centre halls has become a bit harder these days. Is it easy to book the large hall in DCU? Or even a part of it?

i'll have to check with oisin regards that as i haven't had any involvement in booking the large hall but i'll see what i can find out about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Someone just needs to get the finger out and set a date - i recommend speak to Colm (O'Reilly) if you want to set up a tournament in UCD as he has already run several very good tournaments there.

While I appreciate the compliments Mark I should point out that my involvement in these things is the set up and promotion. On the day, it's all Supreme Commander Jim who gets it done. My job on the day is to make sure he's happy.

Col
    -Credit where credit's due

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

As someone who has no affiliation to any college club, and as a long time lover of college women, I'm happy to volunteer for refereeing duties, if needed.

However, as always, I reserve the right to heckle and eat doughnuts at the weigh-ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 darkman x

Can anybody join the UCD mma club or do you have to be a current student/past student?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I think I may throw my hoof into this.

I agree, an inter-varsity/collegiate Submission wrestling competition is the best place to start for organising something related to MMA. I also agree COR's submission wrestling template is the best to follow.

3 experience classes - beginner (<6months), intermediate (<12) and advanced (+12).
    Weight classes - 68, 75, 83, 92, 100
    Pools format.
    Entrants - anyone with a valid student card
    Rules - submission 3 points, draw 1 point, playoff required and a draw - first to take down

I know DCU, UL and UCD can definitely put a bunch of guys in, how many can QUB enter? I think there's a bit of sub wrestling happening in other colleges too so I think it would be a good idea to email/post every martial arts club and sports officer in every college/uni. There will be ppl training with Mark Leonard and John Kavanagh for example who may have student cards but aren't in a club in the college.

Important things to do:
    Pick a date (some weekend in spring imo)
    Pick a venue (dcu or ucd)
    Get a couple of refs (Clive and friends)
    Get a tournament director
    Get first aid crew
    Get some entrants (entrant form)

Administrative things to do:
    Form an intervarsity MMA committee (rep from each college)
    Get a website going with all the information
    Get a draft constitution going
    Compose a letter for the different colleges
    Think about "insurance"

Nice things to do:
    Book a restaurant for post-comp meal
    Get medals and trophies
    Get donuts

darkman x wrote: »
    Can anybody join the UCD mma club or do you have to be a current student/past student?

Current students, alumni and staff only I'm afraid.

I know DCU, UL and UCD can definitely put a bunch of guys in, how many can QUB enter?

We had around 10 in the NSC in june iirc, I'm sure we could get a lot more for an official intervarsity tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Scramble

If alumni can enter... Is there a TCD club? ;)

I was just thinking about this last night. If this is an Intervarsity tournament then its essentially team-based. If this is the case we'd have to limit each club to a certain amount of players and reserves. Run it along the lines of Dave Jones' team tournament or something.

What I mean essentially is that each university/college/IT would enter a team of lets say 12 individuals (4 per experience level) and the team with the most wins (probably more complex than just number of wins) gets the title.

Scramble, I'm not sure if the rules of an intervarsity allow alumni. I thought it was purely a competition for current students. If any alumni who weren't current students were allowed in then UCD could field a ridiculous team compared to whats in the club at the minute. Alumni may join a college club but I don't think they're allowed to compete in intervarsities.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RearNakedJim

4 of the 6 members of the fila team last year where former ucd students as i remember

• Advertisement

Scramble, I'm not sure if the rules of an intervarsity allow alumni. I thought it was purely a competition for current students. If any alumni who weren't current students were allowed in then UCD could field a ridiculous team compared to whats in the club at the minute. Alumni may join a college club but I don't think they're allowed to compete in intervarsities.

Yeah, if we're talking alumni it would get a bit stupid considering the amount of graduates who train BJJ. Kev has the right idea of valid student card holders only.

Advertisement