Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intervarsity MMA / BJJ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

UCD can't field a team to match that criteria, not having any girls or fatties, I mean heavyweights, kind of rules us out.

We could field all the weight classes except for 94kg I think but I'd say our biggest guy wouldn't have a problem rolling in that category. We'll have a multitude of smaller guys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Looks like Nothingcompares suggestion of the 5 per team system is the way to go then. If some are a little light then so be it.

Bobby I'm PM'ing you my mobile number so if theres any movement on the medals let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RearNakedJim

bobby UCD does have a girl who i think can compete. Dee.

Some good news for the intervarsities. Was training in Team Ryano earlier today and we were joined by the ITT club who have pledged their participation. Sound bunch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Im hoping to bring some novice guys from UL up to the comp. but Im sure we wont have enough guys in the different weight catagories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

would the best thing to do for the team aspect be if the different teams tried get some rough info on there teams regards weights so we can try get some idea how to work the team section?

would the best thing to do for the team aspect be if the different teams tried get some rough info on there teams regards weights so we can try get some idea how to work the team section?

The weight classes are just guidelines. If for example they cannot make the last 2 classes of the team then they can simply put the 2 heaviest of the people that they choose. Regardless they can all get into the same categories in the individual competition.

The whole goal of this competition is to Maximise the participation and establish it so each coaches and committees goal should be to bring the maximum amount of participants from their clubs. There is a novice category for a reason. Even the newest trainee can get great experience of competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ittmixedmartial

thanks lads hopefully we will be up in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Just had a thought - whats the entrance fee going to be for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

The 19th a Sunday too right?

• Advertisement

dasmoose wrote: »
    Just had a thought - whats the entrance fee going to be for this?

To be safe we are goin to o for 10 euro a head. This seems very small and reasonable to me and it means we can defo cover the expenditure of the comp. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ittmixedmartial

wat time etc is this thing on lads?

ITTMMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

War Dee!!!!!!!

Ok ladies and gents

Here's the low down on whats happening.

The weigh ins will take place between 10 and 11am on sunday the 19th. The tournament will commence shortly after weighins and the weight has been listed in an earlier post on the page b4 this.

Bobby was on the phone to me and there will be medals for each weight category and a trophy for the winning team.

There is an entrance fee of 10 euro for each entrant. There will be a rules meeting b4 the comp starts to reiterate legal and illegal techniques.

I will post a map to Team Ryano for those who are not familiar with it but if you are not driving then it is very accessible by DART. and is located right around the corner from Howth Junction DART station.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=TEAM+RYANO&daddr=Verbena+Lawns&hl=en&geocode=%3BFWauLgMdBCii_w&mra=ls&sll=53.389958,-6.153545&sspn=0.012285,0.027466&ie=UTF8&ll=53.393182,-6.148095&spn=0.012284,0.027466&z=15

eh hopefully that works...as you can see you can simply drive up from the seafront also.

Oisin

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=TEAM+RYANO&daddr=53.391026,-6.150928&geocode=&hl=en&mra=mi&mrsp=1&sz=17&sll=53.390764,-6.1514&sspn=0.004172,0.009313&ie=UTF8&ll=53.391052,-6.151292&spn=0.004172,0.009313&z=17

This is probably more accurate on the map.

Turn off Kilbarrack road onto killbarrack parade and travel straight past the Football club on the right to the end were you will find big blue gates on the right hand side. Park outside and simply walk down and through the big blue gates to the bottom of the estate and loop around to the left.

If anyone has any problems with directions or questions on anything else you can call me on 0857277928

Oisin

TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY :D

We have trophys, we have medals , we have referees, we have everything in place....we are good to go.

Don't be late.

Hey all little bit of bad news but we've had to increase the entrance fee to 15 euro to guarantee we can cover the expense of the intervarsity. I understand this is last minute but I have contacted coaches and members from other universities to let them know and they are cool with it
    given that a standard competition entry is 30 euro or even more.

See you all there..it looks set to be great.

Best of luck tomorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

just like to say a quick gratz to QUB for winning the team competition & also well done to everyone who competed.

Want to first thank Oisin McCabe for a great day out, I had a good time anyhow. Good event, ran very smoothly. Top class medals and trophies at the event too. That trophy is a keeper, Mark, I'll get QUB - 2009 engraved on something sticky and send it up to you.

It was my first time rolling with points involved and frankly I didn't like it but I suppose it did give credit to the more dominant guy (my match with Kevin Lally springs to mind). Round robin would have been nice in the divisions, if only in the team event maybe.

Overall it was a very good day I was glad I went and I'm looking forward to next year already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

good event, well done all involved.

points or no points 9/10 the guy with better jiujitsu wins.

any vids/pics?

• Advertisement

team.jpg

Great tournament, very well run and we had a blast. Roll on the next one! :D

A few thank you's are in order.
    -Thanks Bobby for organising the medals and bitch'n trophy pictured above. (Do they make plaques that small Bobby?) :D Thanks to Team Ryano/BJJ Revolution for hosting the event and helping it run smoothly. Thanks to Garry and Wayne for their help on the day. Thank you to the coaches for bringing their guys down and thanks t everybody that came down to either compete and spectate.

A few thoughts.
    -Everything ran smoothly today from start to finish and the athmosphere was the best I've seen in a while for a tournament. The banter between opposing teams and coaches was great and everything was done in good fun and sportsmanship. My only regret is that some individuals only got the chance to showcase their skills 2 or 3 times but I'm sure this will increase in events for next year.

The matches were action packed and there were some real wars which were great to watch.

I will post full results in the next day or two when I get the chance.

Oisin

Oh and b4 I forget could anyone that took photos of the event or videos please email them to me at oisin.mccabe@gmail.com or link them here when they put them up or find them?

Also a pair of sunglasses went missing and we think they may have fallen of the table into a bag. If anyone finds them could you lt me know as the owner is eager to get them back.

Peace out

Oisin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

any vids/pics?

Sorry Kev, I'd spoken to Andy the night before about going along with the gear - but a night of beer and cold pizza amde me totally forget about charging my camera's battery.

Sorry Kev, I'd spoken to Andy the night before about going along with the gear - but a night of beer and cold pizza amde me totally forget about charging my camera's battery.

I think we got basically every match a qub fighter was in on video, adam will be uploading them over the next few days - i'll link here once they're up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Good event, so thanks and praise to Oisin and the Team Ryano crew for the day.

Tis a bit of an intimidating place to walk into, but once inside, the atmosphere was a lot of fun, very friendly, and a well run event.

I thought Tallaght IT did exceptionally well, considering they've been training in jitz about once a week since the start Feb 2009. I attribute that to their handsome coach of course. There's some future monsters in that college I tells ya.

If only we had this back in the day's of me coaching out in UCD. Could have fielded a team of Jim, SissyBoy, The Shane and Clive. But alas, QUB got the well deserved win.

Enough rambling. Nice work and thanks again to everyone involved in running the comp

RESULTS

-64kg Novice
    1 James Brady- NCAD
    2 Andrew Minihan - ITT
    3 David Moore - DCU

-70kg Novice
    1 Paul Campbell
    2 Cathal Butler

-76kg Novice
    1 Hugh McCarthy - DCU
    2 John Micall
    3 Philip Maloney

-82kg Novice
    1 Henry Fadipe - ITT
    2 Colm O'Regan - DCU
    3 Kevin Murphy - ITT

-88kg Novice
    1 Alan Harrison - QUB
    2 Dennis Kapustia

-102kg Novice
    1 Ronan O'Riordan - DCU
    2 Nick Glass

-64kg Exp
    1 Mark Hamill
    2 Deirdre Dunk - UCD
    3 Gary Robinson - QUB

-70kg Exp
    1 Jim Gallagher- QUB
    2 Luke Gibbons - DCU

-76kg Exp
    1 Mark Curry - QUB
    2 Oisin McCabe - DCU
    3 Mark Fairman - UL
    3 Rob Freeman - DBS

-88kg Exp
    1 Kevin Lally - DCU
    2 Bobby O'Leary - UCD
    3 Cathal Pendard - DCU

-94kg Exp
    1 Cathal Pendard - DCU
    2 Conor Rowan - UCD

If I haven't put the college beside names its because I'm not 100 % sure were they are from so if anyone wants me to add the info PM me.

Well done again to all.

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

OMCCABE wrote: »
    RESULTS

-64kg Exp
    (Don't have the names so someone can enlighten me if they wish)

This was:
    1. Mark Hamill
    2. Deirdre Dunk
    3. The guy in blue

Guy in blue! Guy in blue! Guy in blue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Just want to say a big thanks to Oisin and everyone involved in getting the comp up and running. I had a great day and all the lads from UL got great experience.

Round robin for the individual event might be better next year. But I thought the team event was great fun.
    Re the points system I wasnt crazy about it as you may have seen me kicking off at some of the decisions :o. I felt that some players were scoring some points early on then sitting back for the win instead of actively trying to finish the fight (I know it makes strategic sense) but I would much rather see guys trying to finish the fight and decision going towards the more agressive fighter as opposed to sitting in guard or switching knee rides for 4mins. But anyway It was a great event and thought the atmosphere and banter really added to the event.

PS Oisin has to mostly flexible shoulders ever! I kimura'ed my little heart out to no avail :D looking forward to rolling with you again in the future!

Advertisement