Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the ATI equivalent of the Nvidia 8800GT

Options
  • 01-12-2008 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I want to swap my Nvidia card for and ATI one. I assume a single ATI card will work ok in my Nvidia 680i motherboard, yeah?

So I'm looking for something equal to or slightly better than my Nvidia 8800GT 512MB. Which ATI card would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on your budget, HD4850 is considerably faster at about 150, HD4870 is much faster and about 200 (referring to the 512mb models).

If you're looking for just equal, the 4850 is your man - closest thing to it really, and much faster to boot.

There's also the 4670 512mb at 80 euro, which actually comes close enough in performance....but won't be better then your 8800GT across the board or anything like that, and the 4830, which is closest to 8800GT performance but with the 4850 costing little more it's not worth considering really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

The 4830 is, its pretty much dead even with the 8800/9800 GT, some can be overclocked well to almost 4850 speeds, on hardwareversand.de starting at 100 euros..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Ok, cool. So this one would be significantly better than my 8800GT 512MB? Just want to make absolutely sure I've found the right card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah it is, but don't bother with the 1gb version unless you've got a fairly large monitor (1920x1200 or similar). The 512mb 4850 will be still faster then the 8800GT by quite a chunk.

And remember postage from HWV is something like 30 euro - insignificant in a build order but for just one piece its expensive and will probably negate the bargain, considering you'll have to wait for it to be shipped, arrange a bank transfer, etc. Just buy from an Irish site. For example here, under 150 under including delivery - the cheapest one on Komplett is 153 excluding delivery in comparison.

Advertisement