Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomond Park - Rod Stewart Concert

Options
  • 01-12-2008 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Looks like another brilliant concert will be held over the summer as Rod Stewart is now booked to play..seems like the decision to hold concerts is now paying off and the stars booked already indicate that this concert will host major stars in the future, seems outrageous that the gaelic grounds, with a capacity of over 50,000 is not staging concerts, absolutely laughable considering it is a potential mega gold mine.

In other related news, theres rumblings that Girls Aloud and The Eagles will also be playing this summer, seems like a good start to the stadium with the recent match and these developments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Rod Stewart and Elton John eh, so thats the target audience they are going for. Well hey whatever attracts the crowds it could be the Slane of Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,885 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wow! Elton John, then Rod Stewart, and then maybe the Eagles, it'd make my year if they were to add Bruce Springsteen seeing as he has a new album on the way!

This is just amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Roll on Tom Jones...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thomond Park announced that only two concerts will be held during 2009.

Rod is on sale on Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Thomond Park announced that only two concerts will be held during 2009.

Rod is on sale on Friday morning.
    Strange, whats the advantage to that when it appears they could get more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Im sure there must be restrictions in place to to residents living in the area?

Im sure there must be restrictions in place to to residents living in the area?

Heard nothing so far as my OH's family live around there.

Awaiting the free ticket on account of their close proximity to the stadium. People around Croke Park and Landsdowne road get free tickets on account of the noise, litter and restrictions of movement imposed.

I get parking right across the road from Thomond park(driveway) which is sweet. :D

1huge1 wrote: »
    Strange, whats the advantage to that when it appears they could get more.

Unsure, some badly spoken stadium manager was on Matt Cooper explaining in very little words as to why. He just implied that they are testing the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Wow, two crinkly crooners, one after the other. I welcome concerts coming to Limerick but I'd hope there would be better fare in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I honestly cant understand the reasoning behind sports clubs not opening their gates to any act that wants to perform in their grounds, its a goldmine and people from further down the country will jump at the chance at not having to travel to Dublin to see a gig, plus it'll boost the economy of the city for the couple of days the act is in town, or if its a multi night event, they should try book the WWE for a show, they sell out the point every time in minutes and have sold out 2 nights in the o2 already for April

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

krudler wrote: »
    I honestly cant understand the reasoning behind sports clubs not opening their gates to any act that wants to perform in their grounds, its a goldmine and people from further down the country will jump at the chance at not having to travel to Dublin to see a gig, plus it'll boost the economy of the city for the couple of days the act is in town, or if its a multi night event, they should try book the WWE for a show, they sell out the point every time in minutes and have sold out 2 nights in the o2 already for April

Would be nice to see a WWE show outside of Dublin but I don't think they would use Thomond Park as it is an outdoor arena, saying that WWE did do an outdoor show in the RDS a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

Aidric wrote: »
    Wow, two crinkly crooners, one after the other. I welcome concerts coming to Limerick but I'd hope there would be better fare in the future.

id say theyre hoping theese ones go off without any trouble first before they go booking different types of music. i'm happy with the two of em anyway!!!

better than havin the bloody saw doctors play in limerick again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

true rino!its good on one hand however there are be many "Big" gigs in ireland with summerfest.the marquee isnt rod playing there too.elton john didnt sell out yet.the money aint around people will be more selective about gigs i think.plus all major acts will do the o2

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Looks like another brilliant concert will be held over the summer as Rod Stewart is now booked to play..seems like the decision to hold concerts is now paying off and the stars booked already indicate that this concert will host major stars in the future, seems outrageous that the gaelic grounds, with a capacity of over 50,000 is not staging concerts, absolutely laughable considering it is a potential mega gold mine.

Talk to the city council on that one. The whole Thomond Park Redevelopment has been one of the greatest displays of double standards ever in this city.

The GAA had to fight tooth and nail to be allowed redevelop the Gaelic Grounds, they were not allowed cover the far stand and they were not allowed to erect floodlights (this has changed in recent weeks). The stands in the Gaelic Grounds only reach a fraction of the height that the ones in Thomond Park. They were previously told they would not receive permission for concerts due to concerns for the residents.

But when the rugby boys decide to do something then it's a different story altogether. They can erect massive floodlights, stands that can be seen from Tipperary and Patrickswell, and hold massive concerts. I'm not begruding it to the rugby crowd either, I say fair play to them and the more top class facilities Limerick has the better. It's just the double standards that have been displayed by Limerick City Council in recent years that bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

hopefully it will encourage the gaelic grounds to compete for concerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

hopefully it will encourage the gaelic grounds to compete for concerts.

As long as they're being bank rolled by McManus they will never have to consider opening the grounds for anything other than gaa games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Furthermore, most GAA games are played during the summer so the floodlights wouldn't really be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

lfc1892 wrote: »
    Furthermore, most GAA games are played during the summer so the floodlights wouldn't really be necessary.

The last of the county championship matches was played last weekend. The National League starts back in February. Limerick teams had to travel to Cork to play matches under lights during the year. These lights are required and should have been granted permission a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

A LARGE part of the problem with the gaelic grounds was compaints from local residents living bang up against the grounds thus Thomond not a problem they bought them out great solution IMO

sioda wrote: »
    A LARGE part of the problem with the gaelic grounds was compaints from local residents living bang up against the grounds thus Thomond not a problem they bought them out great solution IMO

There is still one line of houses at the goal end. Limerick city council owns most of them so tough luck! Anyway, they make money hiring out their back gardens with people standing on scaffolding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Hmmm and I wonder which set of residents would be mostly likely to be listened to. The residents around Thomond Park or the residents around the Gaelic Grounds?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Hmmm and I wonder which set of residents would be mostly likely to be listened to. The residents around Thomond Park or the residents around the Gaelic Grounds?

Gaelic grounds area residents would have a stronger voice due to the amount of them and they are more experienced in complaining due to years of experience. There was awful trouble last year(or the year before ? ) when they were told that on a match day if they have somebody visiting their house they must tell the city council in advance so they can apply for a pass. ASS !

Across from Thomond park there are a lot of side streets which can be inconvenienced. The only other houses that Flank thomond park are in Ballynanty and their access is not restricted and people dont really park in that area anyway.

I doubt the Ballynanty residents would be listened to less but they would construe it as that just for the sake of complaining. My MIL complained during the New Zealand match that parking and getting around in a car was a nightmare. She does not even have a car!! Anything to complain. She lives across from Johnseys Shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Gaelic grounds area residents would have a stronger voice due to the amount of them and they are more experienced in complaining due to years of experience. There was awful trouble last year(or the year before ? ) when they were told that on a match day if they have somebody visiting their house they must tell the city council in advance so they can apply for a pass. ASS !

Across from Thomond park there are a lot of side streets which can be inconvenienced. The only other houses that Flank thomond park are in Ballynanty and their access is not restricted and people dont really park in that area anyway.

I doubt the Ballynanty residents would be listened to less but they would construe it as that just for the sake of complaining. My MIL complained during the New Zealand match that parking and getting around in a car was a nightmare. She does not even have a car!! Anything to complain. She lives across from Johnseys Shop.

I think he was refferring to the areas, thomond park is surrounded by council housing, the gaelic grounds is just a stones throw away from the NCR!

Advertisement