Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help, structural indemnity on direct labour

• 01-12-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Please feel free to PM on this as it's in the legal realm

House we are buying was a self build direct labour.

No HB 11 Homebond cert

No Premier guarantee

Bank are adamant that there must be such a thing. They have stipulated that they will accept either of the two above or a "builders certificate of registration" with the CIF. Again this doesn't apply to a self build via direct labour.

What they will NOT accept is the architects certificate of compliance or his indemnity insurance.

A couple of things strike me about this.
    1 How does anyone ever sell a house if they self build?

2 From speaking to other people this is an unusual request.

We are now in the ticklish position of not being able to close and loosing our 10% deposit :(

JWT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jwt wrote: »
    We are now in the ticklish position of not being able to close and loosing our 10% deposit :(
    Check with your solicitor if it is "subject to loan".

The way to go about self-building is to have an engineer to supervise construction and to get Homebond or similar.

But I hate self-builers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im going to leave this one open for a wee while but for anyone posting a reply dont get involved in the legalities of the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

If the structure complies fully with its Planning Permission and it complies fully with the Building Regulations, Documents A to M, then it is a legal structure.
    Anyone certifiying compliance of same with full PI insurance, should be acceptable to the Banks.

Discuss this with your Solicitor.

House we are buying was a self build direct labour.
    Is this a new house? If so can you establish the qualifications of the person who supervised the construction and if there was a mortgage on it before now.
    What they will NOT accept is the architects certificate of compliance or his indemnity insurance.
    It is odd but as stated above you need to find out a few details. Some lending agencies look for people with varying qualifications so you could possibly look at going to another lender.

1 How does anyone ever sell a house if they self build?
    The normal is to have an engineer/architect/technician supervise the works and issue the statutory certs at the end of the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

@ Muffler, thanks for leaving it open.

@ others thanks for the PMs

It is a new build, never been lived in, only certs appear to be architects cert who certified it meets building regs. This was sufficient, apparently, to allow stage payments etc to be issued by owner/selfbuilders mortgage company.

Qualifications of Architect were Dip. Arch. Tech. RIAI(tech)

Looks like either the bank have tightened up on this stuff or I've just met a pig of an underwriter :(

JWT

• Advertisement

Qualifications of Architect were Dip. Arch. Tech. RIAI(tech)
    This may be at the root of the problem. AIB, IIB and one or two others wont accept a technician (it wasn't an architect who supervised the house initially). The person who built the house obviously had a mortgage from a different lender who do accept technicians for supervising and signing off.

I have this problem all the time. I can supervise and certify till the cows come home for most of the lenders but there are about 20% of my clients getting mortgages from certain lenders and they wont accept me for the supervision. I just have to refer the clients to someone else.

JWT, to protect your 10% deposit I would suggest you look to a different lender and one who will accept an architectural technician for signing off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

The plot thickens!

Apparently there is a different document called a "letter of supervision" that should have been issued to the original lender while or after the house was being built to get final payments etc.

Funnily enough a Google on "letter of supervision" immediately threw up lots of mortage forms from most of the Irish lenders.

And this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57934438

JWT

Advertisement