Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on ACCA

• 01-12-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

so im just graduated from college with a business background, but have done some modules in financial and management accounting, and looking into trainee accountancy roles

could some tell me more on ACCA, how long it takes , how many exams, degree of difficulty

ive heard starting trainee positions are about 20000 euro, would that go up while your training, or do u have to be fully qualified

how much would a fully qualified accountant earn

thanks folks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

Hi,

Depending on the course you studied, ACCA will give you some passes for modules. In total there are 14 exams, and you have 10 years in which to complete them. Although most people aim to finish in 2-4 years. You also have to train, and record your experience to gain full membership.

The exams are difficult, but they are graded so that the 1st 4 are easier than the next 4 with the final 6 building on what you are supposed to have learnt in the previous exams. Advanced audit, advanced taxation etc.

Earnings would greatly depend on the area of the country you are in, top 4 or around the corner firms, and indeed training in practice or in the public sector, Your starting salary should increase year on year based on performance reviews and exam results,

As a qualified accountant you could earn anything from 50,000 to millions again depending on what area you want to use your qualification in, Do you want to set up your own practice, work for a practice, or work your way up to partner in a practice. Do you want to work in industry, Or even politics,

You should think about what area you want to gain your training in, as working for the accountants down the road is likely to involve a lot of pub trading accounts, farm accounts etc before you are allowed near the high value clients, A top 4 firm would probably have a more interesting client list,

If you have no intention of working in practice, than obtaining a suitable position in a large company or multi national may be a better building block.

I personally found a mix of both benefical as one compliments the other in my line,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

As a qualified accountant you could earn anything from 50,000

Is this really true? I'm due to be qualified soon enough and need to know what I can realistically expect.

Lately I've thinking that 50k is too much to be asking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

technically it is true, it greatly depends on what area you are in, years post qualification, your degree of responsibility within the organisation, and the size of an organisation.

Many companys are cutting costs or are just not large enough to employ a fulltime accountant, so they advertise for accountants or part qualified accountants, but the salary is the same regardless.

It really depends on what you want. Are you prepared to move home, possibly to a different area of the country, or comute long distances to work for a larger company with greater prospects,
    I commute an hour and 15mins each way to work, with that commitment, i have over a 50% increase on my salary versus what i could get locally, thats only as a part qualified, I know i could get more if i moved again into a different sector, but i am happy with my current prospects and i am not prepared to add to my commute.

Look at your own position within the company, the size of your company, your responcibility, when discussing pay rise, try and offset some of your salary increase to the benefits you will be bringing to the company, such as better controls, auditors being more confident with a qualified accountant employed with company so less auditing required being less audit fees etc. Recruitment websites will give you an indication of what is out there for the different sectors, and different geographical areas,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Climber wrote: »

Lately I've thinking that 50k is too much to be asking for

Hate to think of a fully qualified accountant earning less than €50k. If in early 20s perhaps €50k is too much to expect?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Froggie01

Hi

Is anyone here doing ACCA?

I have just done f4+ F5. I am undecided which ones to take next.

I work full time so was hoping to do one for Jun 09 and 2 for Dec 09.

I was thinking of getting the books for Audit in February and doing the exam in Dec 09 - that was i coudl do it one my own time homestudy.
    Does anyone know if audit has any frequent changes (like tax) that woudl affect getting the books one sitting but doing the exam the next

has anyone else any ideas on how best to proceed?

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 George 44

I'm about to sign up tp do F6,F7,F8& F9 at theGalway Business School... has anyone used this school or heard any feedback on pass rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭georgem25

smcgiff wrote: »
    Hate to think of a fully qualified accountant earning less than €50k. If in early 20s perhaps €50k is too much to expect?!?

You will have to have several years experience to earn over €50k. I know plenty of people with 10 years experience earning about this. In the current economic climate it can only get worse. This is in the munster area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

georgem25 wrote: »
    You will have to have several years experience to earn over €50k. I know plenty of people with 10 years experience earning about this. In the current economic climate it can only get worse. This is in the munster area.

Qualified? I can imagine someone being in a job and liking it a lot and not wanting to move, but an experienced qualified accountant with several years experience should be expecting more, but they may have to move to get it, imo.

Yeah qualified. This is pretty normal around Clare & Limerick.

This is a typical role. If you have 4-5 yrs pqe or 10 you still would be applying for similar positions

http://www.loadzajobs.ie/accountancy/finance-accounting-analyst-permanent-1420537.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement