Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I hope no Christians are fixing up trees and decorating them.

Dont tell anyone but I am:D

Steven,

I'm one Christian. If you want to generalise all Christians because of me, that's very harsh.
    I took alot of attacking from atheists on here.... The nature of these boards is to debate.

Its a social network. You get discussion and debate and you get witty real life comment. Im Christian and drop into the atheist threads.

I think you just got a lesson in tolerance. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I'm one Christian. If you want to generalise all Christians because of me, that's very harsh.
    I took alot of attacking from atheists on here.... The nature of these boards is to debate.

Effectively you came into troll - which is state something in a thread which is certain to cause an arugment ( i.e. Macs suck! in a Mac Forum). Thats cool. I think trolling gets a bad name, and when the point is argued articulately ( you did ok on that) can be fun.

But you cant troll and not expect dirt.

Is social darwinism survival of the fittest?

Its a Secret Society of Atheists that go about at Christmas time sabotaging Fairy Lights on Christmas Trees.

They also are fit - cos they have to run to escape being caught.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Here's what Christmas is about in Ireland:

http://www.thehistoryofchristmas.com/traditions/ireland.htm

How can a single page get so many things wrong? In fact it may be a joke is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

pH wrote: »

At least they remembered to mention the footy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Galvasean wrote: »
    At least they remembered to mention the footy.
    what footy is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

pH wrote: »

Ancient history of Christmas would be closer...the webpage may be modern but the message is at least 100 years out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Being an atheist is an all year thing, you cant just pick and choose when it is easiest for you.

Please, I'm not being flippant, but where are you getting your definition of Atheism from? You're saying I "can't" do something which entails that there is some reason for this restriction. I don't follow any Atheist creed. For me my Atheism goes as far as knowing that their is no evidence for Gods existence, anything further to that is just personal opinion.
    I encourage all atheists to boycott all Christian charities until they acknowledge that they are happy to take atheist money to spend on their 'gospel message of hope' and put 'their faith in action'

Who will suffer from your boycott? I'm damn sure the Christians won't. The only people you are affecting are those on the receiving end of your charity. If you are giving money to a Charity only if you can have your beliefs recognized then you are really doing it for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

To me: Christmas is an excuse to sleep lots, stuff my face with delicious seasonal food, spend quality time with family and friends and generally have some fun. Religion plays no part in it. Hell, I'm not American but last week I ate a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Please, I'm not being flippant, but where are you getting your definition of Atheism from? You're saying I "can't" do something which entails that there is some reason for this restriction. I don't follow any Atheist creed. For me my Atheism goes as far as knowing that their is no evidence for Gods existence, anything further to that is just personal opinion.

Who will suffer from your boycott? I'm damn sure the Christians won't. The only people you are affecting are those on the receiving end of your charity. If you are giving money to a Charity only if you can have your beliefs recognized then you are really doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Godduz Xzst,

I'm not saying atheists are governed by strict rules which they must adhere to and therefore shouldnt celebrate christmas. I'm just saying - is it not going against the whole original idea of atheism by joining in with a religion at a time when you get perks form it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Godduz Xzst,

I'm not saying atheists are governed by strict rules which they must adhere to and therefore shouldnt celebrate christmas. I'm just saying - is it not going against the whole original idea of atheism by joining in with a religion at a time when you get perks form it?

Can you elaborate on what your understanding of "the whole original idea of atheism" actually is?

asdasd wrote: »
    Effectively you came into troll - which is state something in a thread which is certain to cause an arugment ( i.e. Macs suck! in a Mac Forum). Thats cool. I think trolling gets a bad name, and when the point is argued articulately ( you did ok on that) can be fun.

But you cant troll and not expect dirt.

Hi asdasd,

Well I would like to think I came in to cause a discussion, but it is very easy to descend into arguing, myself included. Especially because people's beliefs/non-beliefs is quite a sensitive subject. I like to hear everybody's opinions anyway.

Can you elaborate on what your understanding of the "original idea of atheism" actually is?

Atheism is the rejection of theism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Atheism is the rejection of theism

And where in that do you read that we can't eat turkey on the 25th of December?

sink wrote: »
    And where in that do you read that we can't eat turkey on the 25th of December?

Why are you eating turkey on the 25th of December?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Because turkey is a seasonal bird?

Because it's traditional. It's also traditional that my parents and grandparents before them host all the neighbours for drinks on christmas morning with all our family arriving later for christmas dinner. No religious ceremonies take place we are just happy to be together and enjoy each others company.

Because it's traditional. It's also traditional that my parents and grandparents before them host all the neighbours for drinks on christmas morning with all our family arriving later for christmas dinner. No religious ceremonies take place we are just happy to be together and enjoy each others company.

I never blindly follow tradition. I know some people who eat Turkey on Christmas day, and they don't even like turkey. Madness.

I never blindly follow tradition. I know some people who eat Turkey on Christmas day, and they don't even like turkey. Madness.

We do it because we enjoy it and most of the time it's not even turkey. Last year we had goose which almost killed my dad. He swallowed too quickly and ended up with a splinter of bone lodged in his throat. I had to drive him to Beaumont where I spent five hours sitting in A&E. I didn't enjoy it so we won't be having goose this year.

• Advertisement

We do it because we enjoy it and most of the time it's not even turkey. Last year we had goose which almost killed my dad. He swallowed too quickly and ended up with a splinter of bone lodged in his throat. I had to drive him to Beaumont where I spent five hours sitting in A&E. I didn't enjoy it so we won't be having goose this year.

One good reason to eat a turkey! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

This is my first Christmas without being a Christian so I do feel a little uncomfortable, like I'm taking all the advantages that come with it but not giving "thanks" in return. But you know I just see it as a season of goodwill, and I'll keep take the holidays, the food, the drink and the giving/taking of gifts until some government dude passes a law saying only Christians can have all the perks that goes with Christmas (and that won't happen:p:pac:).

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    This is my first Christmas without being a Christian so I do feel a little uncomfortable, like I'm taking all the advantages that come with it but not giving "thanks" in return. But you know I just see it as a season of goodwill, and I'll keep take the holidays, the food, the drink and the giving/taking of gifts until some government dude passes a law saying only Christians can have all the perks that goes with Christmas (and that won't happen:p:pac:).
    You are essentially the same person so I imagine will enjoy the same things- giving gifts etc. Unless you did something really wrong and are in prison somewhere.....in which case I hope you have a considerate cellmate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Aw, I think Christmas is cynical and materialistic enough that even cranky old atheists like me get to play. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

CDfm wrote: »
    You are essentially the same person so I imagine will enjoy the same things- giving gifts etc. Unless you did something really wrong and are in prison somewhere.....in which case I hope you have a considerate cellmate.

<_<

>_>

Who told you that!:mad::p

Yeah you're right I am the same person as I was before, I still have the same core value as I did when I was a Christian which is not judging people.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    <_<

>_>

Who told you that!:mad::p

Yeah you're right I am the same person as I was before, I still have the same core value as I did when I was a Christian which is not judging people.

good for you LZ5by5

Because turkey is delicious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Because turkey is delicious :D

I find it vile!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Xmas is going to be weird for me this year as it will be my first in New Zealand. The lack of religous input to the whole thing down here is actually amazing. Its one big commercial for every product you could possibly want, but whereas at home there would be carol singers, religous stuff going on and lots of church activities, down here its just totally shrouded in business whcih means I havent noticed the slightest twinge of christianity mentionned so far. Xmas in Ireland whilst pretty much 80% commercial did still feel like it had more of a religous connection, down here its a big partay!!

Im going to be very drunk on the deck, probably with some kind of bbq and burger combination going and plan to give small gifts and have a laugh. Will be amazing to be in shorts and tshirt for the first time at xmas!

• Advertisement

I find it vile!

Boo-urns!

Advertisement