Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I find it vile!
    Get. Out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Why are you eating turkey on the 25th of December?
    I never blindly follow tradition. I know some people who eat Turkey on Christmas day, and they don't even like turkey. Madness.
    Turkey is only eaten for the christmas feast cause there was so much of it in america and then it became popular in europe. They used to eat swans and geese and other large birds in europe. And this christmas feast tradition was borrowed from earlier cultural practices. So why do you eat turkey then? Just blindly following your christmas tradition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Atheism is the rejection of theism

Like was said, nothing in that above statement has any relevance to adhering to cultural traditions that are tied roughly to a number or religious beliefs. A lot of our culture and traditions have their history in bygone religions. Long after Christianity has faded away people will still recognize the tradition of Christmas. It will have lost its religious connotations (has it not already?) and will remain as a time of year to get together with family and enjoy some laughter and a good meal.

TBH, I don't personally get involved in Christmas to a large extent, I wouldn't put up any decorations and would request that friends don't get me presents (imo gifts should be given for merit, not because of tradition) but I take exception to being told that I can't ever participate in it because I'm an Atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Long after Christianity has faded away people will still recognize the tradition of Christmas.

TBH, I don't personally get involved in Christmas to a large extent, I wouldn't put up any decorations and would request that friends don't get me presents (imo gifts should be given for merit, not because of tradition) but I take exception to being told that I can't ever participate in it because I'm an Atheist.

Well Goduznt- you must be very easy to buy for:D

If you look at the tradition of celebrating festivals -it was all about redistribution of nutrition and time off.Kind of midwinter surplus distributiion nby throwing a feast.

The secular aspects of Christmas may have their origans in this practice which is common in a lot of socities. To exclude you is not Christian.

Of course,you should take exception to people saying you ant participate for several reasons -1. Christmas incorporates a secular festival and 2 Christians are told not to judged "lest you are judged"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    Turkey is only eaten for the christmas feast cause there was so much of it in america and then it became popular in europe. They used to eat swans and geese and other large birds in europe. And this christmas feast tradition was borrowed from earlier cultural practices. So why do you eat turkey then? Just blindly following your christmas tradition?

Who said I do eat it? Ive only become a christian this year, and always ate pizza and chips or whatever I wanted on Christmas day before. It was just anohter day to me. Now that i am a christian, I still wont be eating turkey because I cant stand the fecking thing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Like was said, nothing in that above statement has any relevance to adhering to cultural traditions that are tied roughly to a number or religious beliefs. A lot of our culture and traditions have their history in bygone religions. Long after Christianity has faded away people will still recognize the tradition of Christmas. It will have lost its religious connotations (has it not already?) and will remain as a time of year to get together with family and enjoy some laughter and a good meal.

I'm not telling you not to take part. I'm just wondering the reasoning behind it, because I never celebrated it when I wasn't Christian,and the same with Lent and all those other traditional things.They were nothing to do with me so i didnt do it. Thanks for your answer, I can now see peoples reasons for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I'm not telling you not to take part. I'm just wondering the reasoning behind it, because I never celebrated it when I wasn't Christian,and the same with Lent and all those other traditional things.They were nothing to do with me so i didnt do it. Thanks for your answer, I can now see peoples reasons for doing so.

The reasoning behind it is that yuletide season has nothing to do with lent. Christmas tree is really a yuletide tradition. Christmas is just a hijacking of other traditions. You want to be like me to ignore christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭stevencarrwork

Are Christians or pagans to blame for Brussels sprouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

christmas is for family....
    who's this jesus fella i keep hearing about>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭stevencarrwork

c-note wrote: »
    christmas is for family....
    who's this jesus fella i keep hearing about>

Christmas is for family.

According to the story, God saved his own son from death, but let the other children fend for themselves.

A lesson for us all, I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Are Christians or pagans to blame for Brussels sprouts?

They were popularised by Belgian Trappist monks. But some ascribe their orginal cultivation to the Jesuits.

Either way, another reason for people to hate religion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Tui Brewery in NZ tried to make light of it all but have been forced to remove the posters....

778170.jpg

The story is quite funny...I love that one Catholic bishop thought it was "great" :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4783624a11.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Oh well I do celebrate what is now commonly known as Christmas in the English language as a traditional celebration which existed long before Christianity as an ancient European tradition in many heathen traditions. They celebrated it to mark the Winter Solstice where the days would get warmer and longer. So therefore, I celebrate it out respect of my ancient ancestors of pre-Christian Europe. but I dislike the name Christmas. There are other names for it. My favourite being Yule or Yuletide because that actually refers to the Germanic/Nordic/Anglo-Saxon festival even Lappi-Finno traditions in Finland and Estonia! The Wikipedia article on Yule says

"The word "Yule" come from the same root as the word "jolly." Modern Yule traditions include decorating a fir or spruce tree, burning a Yule log, hanging mistletoe and holly branches, giving gifts, and general celebration and merriment." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

Sounds fine by me! Although it was originally celebrated on the 12st but 4 days delay isn't an issue for me! This Midwinter event or in Irish "Meán Geimhridh" was celebrated (and still is) by many many cultures stemming as far as India! It's an extremely ancient Indo-European tradition. My friend in Sweden tells me that there they also celebrate Midsummer! It's a shame we don't do that here. She says over there it's an excuse to get really drunk on the street! lol and that they have big meals and parties! Woo!

UU wrote: »
    Oh well I do celebrate what is now commonly known as Christmas in the English language as a traditional celebration which existed long before Christianity .... My friend in Sweden tells me that there they also celebrate Midsummer! It's a shame we don't do that here. She says ......

Ive pointed out before that festivals and feasts were common as way of distributing surplus food an resouses as much as the religious celebration. You get them in most societies but not in Cavan where to do so you have to apply for a licence and bring your own beer. So such celebrations are normal.

The Druids celebrate Midsummer on Tara. Dunno if they get mad drunk and run around nekid.

A swedish friend ..and female too ....well dodgy that. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

pclancy wrote: »
    The story is quite funny...I love that one Catholic bishop thought it was "great" :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4783624a11.html

I love that so many people assume catholic bishops and priests don't have a sense of humour. I heard Tom Dunne interviewing a priest the other day. He asked him if he was annoyed by people who are "a la carte" catholics. The priest replied that most often people who order a la carte, eat better than people who just have the set menu! :)

CDfm wrote: »
    Ive pointed out before that festivals and feasts were common as way of distributing surplus food an resouses as much as the religious celebration. You get them in most societies but not in Cavan where to do so you have to apply for a licence and bring your own beer. So such celebrations are normal.

The Druids celebrate Midsummer on Tara. Dunno if they get mad drunk and run around nekid.

A swedish friend ..and female too ....well dodgy that. :eek:
    Well for that reason I think atheists and agnostics and non-Christians should have no problem thus celebrating Christmas or Yule or whatever other midwinter festival one wishes to address it by.

Why would it be dodgy that I have a female Swedish friend? Please explain.

Well for that reason I think atheists and agnostics and non-Christians should have no problem thus celebrating Christmas or Yule or whatever other midwinter festival one wishes to address it by.

Why would it be dodgy that I have a female Swedish friend? Please explain.

And thats how it should be.

Swedes have great festivals.

And thats how it should be.

Swedes have great festivals.
    Yeah I know! My friend is from Göteborg brilliant place, I love Scandinavia!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

They do indeed. A while back I was letting a room in my house and we showed it to a guy doing a doctorate in animal genetics. By the time he'd told us this, we were sold, but then it turns out he was Swedish too! We begged him to move in...and he did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I love Scandinavia!
    We deal with the Scanwegians a lot here at work -- a great crew to deal with and bless, the godless louts pay right on the button too, not weeks or months late as with say the godful Saudis, or the Americans.

Mind you, they have Surströmming too. Nobody's perfect, I suppose.

• Advertisement

They do indeed. A while back I was letting a room in my house and we showed it to a guy doing a doctorate in animal genetics. By the time he'd told us this, we were sold, but then it turns out he was Swedish too! We begged him to move in...and he did.
    All you Christmases come at once -did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

All you Christmases come at once -did they?

Not quite, the Dutch are cooler...but not by much.

He is a huge improvement over the noisy slobs in that room before him though!

:o .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wow! Two posters quoting the same passage of Scripture out of context in one thread! Is that a record?

Of course if you read on for the next couple of verses you see that it is talking about the manufacturing of idols. So anyone here planning on bowing down and worshipping their Christmas tree?

PDN wrote: »
    Wow! Two posters quoting the same passage of Scripture out of context in one thread! Is that a record?

Of course if you read on for the next couple of verses you see that it is talking about the manufacturing of idols. So anyone here planning on bowing down and worshipping their Christmas tree?
    Damn it - I apologise - I have been working too much and haven't been keeping up. When I was two I worshiped christmas trees if that helps and we had 27,000 of them at home which were worth €€€ which I also worship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

When I was two I worshiped christmas trees if that helps and we had 27,000 of them at home which were worth €€€ which I also worship.

Abies nordmannia?

Abies nordmannia?
    I can't remember - I think they were Picea abies but it is too long ago. The only one left is the sapling I rescued from being thrown out and planted in the garden. It is about 25ft tall now.

That reminds me i want to get some outdoor lights for it if possible this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Malari wrote: »
    I love that so many people assume catholic bishops and priests don't have a sense of humour. I heard Tom Dunne interviewing a priest the other day. He asked him if he was annoyed by people who are "a la carte" catholics. The priest replied that most often people who order a la carte, eat better than people who just have the set menu! :)

I'm sure they do have a sense of humour, to me being a priest and preaching the word of "the lord" would be the funniest joke in the world and i'd be laughing my ass off that I was being paid to do what I do. :D

Father Ted also taught me that Priests can be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

pclancy wrote: »

Father Ted also taught me that Priests can be funny.

But only for 2 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

But only for 2 seasons.

WHAT!? Seasons 3 was brilliant.

Advertisement