Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

light ceiling material for old house

Options
  • 01-12-2008 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I need to replace an old timber ceiling in an old house. Using plasterboard will probably put too much weight on the joists as they are old and very far apart (2.5-3 ft). Am considering trying 9mm PB though.

I was hoping someone could suggest a light alternative. Someone mentioned using beauty board, can that be skimmed?

Is there a bonding material I could apply to the timber ceiling and then skim this?

Would be grateful for any info.....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

What size are the timber joists? Any pics?

I assume this roof is pitched and is therefore strong enough to support slates / tiles. I can't see the ceiling being to heavy.

I'd try plasterboard slabs with a skim for fire safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Glinsker

7 x 3 i think, i would like to slab and skim but would probably be too heavy, the electrician said it was one of the worst he was ever on and he's only about ten stone!

did you ever hear of bonding to apply to timber which allows it to be skimmed over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Glinsker wrote: »
    did you ever hear of bonding to apply to timber which allows it to be skimmed over?

Only way this could possibly work would be if the ex. sheeting were underdrawn with expanded metal to give a good mechanical key and resist cracking. I've seen this done on a job before but it wouldn't be any lighter than a 9.5mm plasterboard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Glinsker

cheers for replying, going to put up another few joists and slab it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Glinsker
    Counter batten ceiling boards with 50 x 19 Planed timbers. Screw through boards into joists. Slab with 9.5mm plain plaster slabs and skim. Very little weight involved.
    Heatherview

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Have you thought about running metal channel (MF5/Top Hat) screwed to your original timber, then sheet with 9.5mm plasterboard then tape and joint. Definitely less weight than skim and you will be able to paint much sooner as well.

Advertisement