Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC BB price increase by €2

Options
  • 01-12-2008 7:04pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It looks like UPC will be increasing their BB and TV prices in January

http://www.upc.ie/pdf/pricechangejan09.pdf

3mb BB was €20 now €22
    10mb BB was €30 now €32
    20mb BB was €40 now €42

Basic analogue TV was €23.50 now €24.50
    Go Digital Select was €26 now €27
    Go Digital Max was €32 now €33.50

UPC has been losing lots of TV customers over the last quarter (while gaining BB customers) they certainly won't help them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

bk wrote: »

3mb BB was €20 now €22
    10mb BB was €30 now €32
    20mb BB was €40 now €42

UPC has been losing lots of TV customers over the last quarter (while gaining BB customers) they certainly won't help them.

Id say this is passing on the increase in VAT that Biffo and the boys slapped on in the budget. I know its a bit more but I'd say that is the reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It's a 10% increase in some instances.

It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the VAT increase of 0.5% imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

3mb BB was €20 now €22
    10mb BB was €30 now €32
    20mb BB was €40 now €42

I'm supposedly on 6mb with UPC so whats the story with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Steviemak wrote: »

Add €2 to it.........

It's a 10% increase in some instances.

It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the VAT increase of 0.5% imo.

Nothing whatsoever? That's very sure. Why wouldn't businesses up their prices because of the increase in VAT? Essentially the government will be taking 0.5% more of every sale they make. Look at Xtravision, they have recently put up the price of their rentals up 10¢ directly because of the VAT increase. Maybe it wasn't the sole factor for the price increase but it certainly contributed to it. Oh ya, and that all IMO.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jenno86 wrote: »
    Nothing whatsoever? That's very sure. Why wouldn't businesses up their prices because of the increase in VAT? Essentially the government will be taking 0.5% more of every sale they make. Look at Xtravision, they have recently put up the price of their rentals up 10¢ directly because of the VAT increase. Maybe it wasn't the sole factor for the price increase but it certainly contributed to it. Oh ya, and that all IMO.;)

Any talk of this being purely the VAT increase is complete BS, it has very little if nothing to do with it.

As an example 3mb going from €20 to €22 is a 10% increase, not a .5% increase, a .5% increase on €20 would make it only €20.09.

This increase is over 20 times higher then the VAT increase.

BTW xtra vision is also ripping you off, on a €5 rental it should be an increase of only 2 to 3 cent.

That is my fear about this, lots of companies will just use the VAT increase to increase the prices far beyond the VAT increase, just like when the euro was introduced.

No one should defend this short of sharp practise.

Any talk of this being purely the VAT increase is complete BS, it has very little if nothing to do with it.

As an example 3mb going from €20 to €22 is a 10% increase, not a .5% increase, a .5% increase on €20 would make it only €20.09.

This increase is over 20 times higher then the VAT increase.

BTW xtra vision is also ripping you off, on a €5 rental it should be an increase of only 2 to 3 cent.

That is my fear about this, lots of companies will just use the VAT increase to increase the prices far beyond the VAT increase, just like when the euro was introduced.

No one should defend this short of sharp practise.

Wooah! Hold on their now! Bk up there a min!:D

No one ever said that it was solely because of the VAT! If you actually read my post you would see that I said it contributed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I would say it's a combination of VAT + inflation + they want to make more money :)

They can charge whatever they want. There is plenty of competition out there ready to undercut them if they get too ridiculous.

Although I understand it's a pain in the balls if you're locked to a 12 month contract.

But I'm sure if they raise it a ridiculous amount you might stand a chance having the contract void by law.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

koHd wrote: »
    But I'm sure if they raise it a ridiculous amount you might stand a chance having the contract void by law.

Actually any price increase or change in contract means you are entitled to break a contract.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is probably to fund a huge improvement in their customer service quality:rolleyes:

After this investment I hope that I will be able to ring up and not have a machine chiding me for not having my account number memorised or a csr asking me in all seriousness am I sure that I have an account with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

dub45 wrote: »
    After this investment I hope that I will be able to ring up and not have a machine chiding me for not having my account number memorised or a csr asking me in all seriousness am I sure that I have an account with them.

hahahaha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dub45 wrote: »
    After this investment I hope that I will be able to ring up and not have a machine chiding me for not having my account number memorised

I moved house recently and it's the same with all utilities nowadays. ESB, Bord Gais, etc. Allgedly something to do with that damn Data Protection Act -protecting people's privacy and all that.:rolleyes: Imagine.....:D

BK - I think that the €20 inludes the analogue price. I know someone who got it in recently and that's what they paid - including analogue. There was another thread on here somewhere that confirmed that but I can't find it. If it's true it's a great price.

Looking at the other prices it makes sense, because the €33 per month for Digital Max includes the analogue, so the other two might tie in. Anyone?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Looking at the other prices it makes sense, because the €33 per month for Digital Max includes the analogue, so the other two might tie in. Anyone?:confused:

It does include analogue. It's cheaper to encourage people to switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It does include analogue. It's cheaper to encourage people to switch.

If that is the case then €20 for both analogue AND digital is a steal.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well I take it you never filled out the online form for the free upgrade to 10mb BB so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

If your on a 6mb connection it may be that your on their old package that used to be a 2mb. Think its called broadband light. Are you paying 27.50 a month for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

So I'm on the Broadband Value and Digital TV package for €40. Will be a €2 increase or will it be more?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 foxyyyyy

I'm sure after the prime time episode of the likes of UPC etc ripping off their customers, people are looking more closely at their bills. I for one, started looking very very closely and have discovered they have been over charging me for months! I have phone, broadband and tv so my monthly bill is always high...Not only did they sign me up to the incorrect phone package, they have been charging me for having two services instead of 3, so charging me an extra 6-7 euros a month EXTRA for my fone. I do not know how many times I have to repeat myself to those idiots! Sure when a customer service 'gentleman' starts shouting at you and hangs up on you, sure why would I even be surprised!

As for the price rises...I never got an notification of such, even though on the first letter I received from UPC/NTL said that if my charges were to change, I would be notified in writing. I didn't get as such as a letter, even though i keep getting stupid 'sign up to broadband leaflets' I have broadband since September, and the phone since october (that is because they said it wasn't available, even though others here had it), but they didn't have the decency to notify their customers...do they not realise its extremely bad for business to p*ss off your customers?! I'm sure when I call them tomorrow(since they do not have a customer service open on a sunday), they will make up some excuse about their price increases being available on their website...well I only found it via boards.ie.... It is not clearly visible on their home page. I wonder what the consumer affairs will have to say about this rubbish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

Have the 20mb broadband package, I am only getting 10mb at max. I find the service a joke and no one complain to as customer service crap.

Never mind the increase we are being ripped off as it is.

D

Advertisement