Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunken Abusive Owner

Options
  • 01-12-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hi, opinions here folks.

I was working Saturday night in a bar at the weekend. I have been working there this 3 years part time for cash:rolleyes:. About 6months ago a new man took over the lease. Very inexperience barman but i really didn't care as long as i go € for my shift.

Saturday night he was very drunk (as usual) and he started being abusive towards me. I asked him to organise change for the tills and he tutted loudly and said Ill get it now. Further in the evening we ran out of stock and i asked him was there any in the store. I looked and couldn't find it then i told him there was none there and he shouted "There is you bollox!" He went out back and came in empty handed. Then he went to another bar in the premises and said there stupid!

At this stage i was ragin :mad: but i kept my cool. Normal finishing hours are 12.45 bar closes - 1.30 home. This clown refuses to close the bar and serves all night. So i asked him what time to i finish serving at and said nothing then he looked up at the clock and took it off the wall :confused: then said keep serving until i say!

So i continue to serve until 2.PM until a gentleman approaches me and asks for a drink, which i serve him then he comes to me all guns blazing (& drunk) saying why did you serve that man, he will be here all night.

Now I've lost it! i start to get aggressive with him only in defence and i said listen you asked me to keep serving so i am!!! I am either serving or i am not!!! He reply by saying i should have a bit more cop on that i should understand myself when to stop serving :confused::confused::confused:! I approached him on the matter of calling me a bollox in front of customer and i said i refuse to be spoken to like that ,as i don't speak to you like this. (no responce for him!)

He storms into the office, gets me my money for my shift then says "go home your too hard to work with!!" I need the € as ive taken out a mortage and i know i have been treated unfairly... but its a cash job, what should i do? i am not leaving this until i am satisfied he realises he cannot continue to run a business with this attitude.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

You've been working there part time "for cash" then you use the roll eyes.. why :confused:. You haven't paid tax? should we not be the ones using the roll eyes?

Granted, he sounds like a terrible manager, but, you're not responsible for his understanding how to run a business and how to be a good manager.

You say you were working Sat night, but if your mortgage is dependant on this job are you doing alot more than one night a week?

I'm sure there are others here who can advise you of what your actual rights are regarding his treatment of you. Citizens advice bureau is always a good place to start.

Honestly though, i think you should maybe get a new job and contribute tax and prsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

themadchef wrote: »
    You've been working there part time "for cash" then you use the roll eyes.. why :confused:. You haven't paid tax? should we not be the ones using the roll eyes?

Granted, he sounds like a terrible manager, but, you're not responsible for his understanding how to run a business and how to be a good manager.

You say you were working Sat night, but if your mortgage is dependant on this job are you doing alot more than one night a week?

I'm sure there are others here who can advise you of what your actual rights are regarding his treatment of you. Citizens advice bureau is always a good place to start.

Honestly though, i think you should maybe get a new job and contribute tax and prsi.

I work full time 6 days a week in another job, currently starting my own business ontop of this. the pub is good income and handy and i based this income for one night p/w to help pay for my mortage. But now if lost it to his ignorance. i have been there 3 years under 4 seperate managers/lease holders and no-one else seems to have a problem with me carring out my duties. I know people always say there's 2 sides to a story but theres only one to this :rolleyes:

As for the Tax, its a few bob Cash, i pay my taxes every week with my full time job. I asked to be put through the books in the pub but he never bothered with me or any of the staff. which in fairness i wasnt going to complain about as i would have been stung with tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Smcgie,
    Ive no doubt that you had a terrible experience but if you dont pay tax (you are both adults and are both responsible for sorting it out) I cant see how or why you should expect job security or employment rights.

I know it can be a pain in the neck to sort out your tax and prsi but it is for these reasons. Anyway a pub run by a drunk will always go to the wall. Move on, learn your lesson and dont let it happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

How did you get a mortgage with a cash in hand job? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Maybe you would be as well to cut your losses and let this one go. Unfortunately in this type of situation where work is on a casual basis and you dont have a contract, pay taxes etc etc you really dont have much to go on in terms of employment rights.

Yes, this mans attitude sucks so why would you even want to work for him. If he is ever audited, he will find himself in deep sh1t if he has loads of casual staff working for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

[Jackass] wrote: »

read the OP's post about having a regular full time job.....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback folks, i think its not worth the time or hassle, but i am gonna do my best to blacken his name, im not a bitter person but i hate to thing that ive been walked over (as does anyone)

I have a 21st Birthday party to attend in his pub this Fri :rolleyes: I have to go to it which makes matters worse. Guess whos drinking the free mi-wadi all night ;)

Thanks again folks, i think im less bitter now after reading your posts. :)

[Jackass] wrote: »

i see your living up to your username :p See 3rd post jackass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

Smcgie wrote: »
    I work full time 6 days a week in another job, currently starting my own business ontop of this. the pub is good income and handy and i based this income for one night p/w to help pay for my mortage. But now if lost it to his ignorance. i have been there 3 years under 4 seperate managers/lease holders and no-one else seems to have a problem with me carring out my duties. I know people always say there's 2 sides to a story but theres only one to this :rolleyes:

As for the Tax, its a few bob Cash, i pay my taxes every week with my full time job. I asked to be put through the books in the pub but he never bothered with me or any of the staff. which in fairness i wasnt going to complain about as i would have been stung with tax.

Sorry but soooo many laws here not being adhered to:

Working time act 1997 - you shouldnt be working more than 48 hrs a week (av over a 4 month period)
    You are legally supposed to have terms and conditions, legally you are supposed to pay taxes.
    Legally he supposed to pay you through the books.

This employer should be reported

Check out NERA.

His behaviour is a disgrace but you are limited in your options dude.

And ps there is normally three sides to a story,,, yours, his and the bit in the middle thats closer to the truth rather than recollection.....

Good luck man. I wouldnt work anywhere without a contract, without a wage slip without paying taxes! I would also want to see the disciplinary procedure, grievance procedure, H&S Statement etc etc etc

And I certainly wouldnt stay in this sort of role without any of the above and be subjected to disrespect....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Smcgie wrote: »
    i see your living up to your username :p See 3rd post jackass.
    Bitsie wrote: »
    read the OP's post about having a regular full time job.....:rolleyes:

What, you expect me to read EVERY SINGLE detail?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement