Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband/PS3 Question

Options
  • 01-12-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

Can anybody help me? Cheers in advance. I currently have a phone and broadband package from Eircom and I want to cancel it as I dont use the phone.

If I move to a provider like O2 will I still be able to able to connect to the internet on my PS3? I need a network connection for online play or automatic updates etc.

Im concerned that O2's wireless dongle wont work if I plug it directly into the PS3.

I live in Newbridge and my area isnt covered by UPC who I had been hoping to get a wireless router from without getting the phone.

If anyone has any advice or has come across this situation I'd be grateful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Definately saw a friend of mine playing Medal of Honour online at good speeds over a 3 dongle. Mind you, this was at around 3.30am so I presume contention would be light at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Definately saw a friend of mine playing Medal of Honour online at good speeds over a 3 dongle. Mind you, this was at around 3.30am so I presume contention would be light at that stage.
    ya sure it was a 3 dongle, the ps3 cant use a connection through usb
    king did ya ring upc or check the website, i live in newbridge aswell and have upc, if ya go with 02 ya could have really high pings on psn

• Registered Users Posts: 26 KingMuller

Guil,

Yeh i rang UPC and they said I cant get it. I live in Curragh Grange and they said that area aint covered, although some other areas in newbridge are.

I aint that tech minded, what does high pings mean?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

Well Guilzer :D

Yea there's no way a wireless dongle will work on the PS3. Even if it did you would be running into your own Bullets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

guil07 wrote: »
    ya sure it was a 3 dongle, the ps3 cant use a connection through usb
    king did ya ring upc or check the website, i live in newbridge aswell and have upc, if ya go with 02 ya could have really high pings on psn
    It was, connected to a laptop and working through Windows Internet Connection Sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Mobile BB services aren't good enough for gaming. You'll hear people saying they are fine but they aren't. The pings are too high on all these services so even if it looks like its working okay, you'll likely be getting killed not knowing why every so often with a random disconnect every now and again at best.

If you want an alternative to eircom and can't get UPC, your only real options are IBB and Digiweb. Only use the fixed wireless solutions as the actual wireless solutions such as ripwave won't be any better than the mobile BB solutions.

I dont know which provider to go with. I dont mind not playing games online but i want the ps3 to have an internet connection for automatic firmware updates or updates to games i play. UPC would have been ideal but they tell me i cant get it:mad:

KingMuller wrote: »
    I dont know which provider to go with. I dont mind not playing games online but i want the ps3 to have an internet connection for automatic firmware updates or updates to games i play. UPC would have been ideal but they tell me i cant get it:mad:

If you can get a fixed wireless connection go with that.

Otherwise if you are in an apartment or your landlord won't give permission to add an antennae to the roof, you will need to go with a mobile broadband solution.

All the networks have trials or had at one point. If they refuse to provide a trial then just say you aren't interested as you don't know the quality of the service in your area.

Start with O2 then Vodafone then 3 for Mobile BB coverage from my experience and some of the people I know who have used these services would agree.

It was, connected to a laptop and working through Windows Internet Connection Sharing.
    yeah i thought that, it works for some people and not for others

dunno what ya could do king
    ping is the time it takes for data to get from a to b and back again, maybe just get one of the mobile providers if they offer a non contract package and then get upc when its available, i have it in standhouse rise

• Advertisement

That will drive ya mad just so you know. I used to do this with my 360 until I eventually just said screw it and bought the wireless adapter for 90 euro becaue I was that p*ssed off at it (I know it can be got cheaper elsewhere, I just couldn't have been ar*ed looking).

cheers for all the responses lads. eircom really have the market sewn up, if only you could get the broadband on its own off them. after whats been said i doubt whether i'd bother getting mobile broadband anyway. ill keep searchign for a fixed wireless provider that suits

Advertisement