Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help!!! any advice welcome

Options
  • 01-12-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

i am contracted to work 2 days a week but last month i was working 4, when i got paid i only received my wages for my contracted hours, when i queried my boss she said she will pay the rest in a cheque, i never received this cheque and again this month i have been underpaid. when i queried my boss again she said i am lying i have not worked the days i am claiming. i always write my days down on a pad so i know what i have worked but she doesnt agree and because i carried on quering this she gave me a verbal warning. is there anything i can do about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Wow.

Couple of questions:

How long have you worked there?
    Is there any way you can prove you worked the 4 days? For example, do you have some sort of e-mail asking you to work 4 days? Surely someone asked you to work the 4 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hiya

OK - under the working time act 1997 an employer must keep records of working time....

Contact NERA National Employment Rights Authority to get full information

Contact your union or the owner/ other manager

There has to be records of what hours you worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i have worked there for 5 years, i have not got any proof such as emails but there is only 6 of us that work there so they would know i have worked the extra days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Is there any way you can prove you worked the 4 days?

or maybe a security system on teh door thar requires a swipe card or CCTV footage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, stop working 4 days for a start.

Next, contact a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I don't understand.

Did someone ask you to work the extra days, or did you choose to work the extra days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boowho

im contracted to work for 2 days but my manager said if i wanted to i could work 4 for extra money, i choose to do the extra days because she gave me this option and now she is saying i am lying i have not worked any extra.

im probably just being stupid and the answers write in front of my fac but because of my current situation my heads all over the place and just dont know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Get your dates written down, get other staff members to verify them with you.

Its a tricky situation in as much as if you push it further you may get another warning. But......you are entitled to be paid. If you go to a solicitor you will also put yourself into the bad books even more. But.........you are entitled to be paid.

It is sounding v suspicious to me. What kind of business is it? Any chance it has financial difficulties? Any chance that they are looking to get rid of a few staff members and will keep pushing you??

I am all for getting what you are entitled to. I know its easy for a person to say that they wouldn;t put up with that etc etc but your personal situation may mean that you badly need those 2 days work and a gap in work is not sustainable.

I guess you need to weigh up the pros and cons of going after her for it. Keep a record of everything, absolutely everything and if you start getting a lot of grief request that you have another staff member with you to witness what is being said.

I still badly want to say go after what you are entitled to, this kind of behaviour and taking advantage of people really gets my goat :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

What's bad is that the supervisor allegedly accused you of lying. This is out of order. For the average person such an accusation can be really upsetting, particularly if they need the work and feel vulnerable. Sounds like a small outfit, without much support for staff. Do other colleagues empathise - have they been treated similarly? Be interested to see what the general consensus is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

boowho wrote: »
    im contracted to work for 2 days but my manager said if i wanted to i could work 4 for extra money, i choose to do the extra days because she gave me this option and now she is saying i am lying i have not worked any extra.

im probably just being stupid and the answers write in front of my fac but because of my current situation my heads all over the place and just dont know what to do.

I missed this bit first time around................can I just clarify one thing?

The extra days that your worked, did your manager ask you to come in and work those days specifically?

From the above the offer of working 4 days if you want the money sounds a bit of a loose arrangement rather than a request to work extra days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement