Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLIGHT PATHS FROM IRELAND TO UK AND USA

Options
  • 01-12-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Does anyone know where I can get details of the standard flightpaths/airways between Dublin & Shannon and UK + US Airports. I think it is something to do with VOR stations??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Routes to the USA are never standard- Change daily

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EIN109/history/20081202/1615Z/EIDW/KJFK

That website has all you need.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Routes to the USA are never standard- Change daily..

Aren't the 4 tracks more or less standardised and they just use different ones each day? I have seen/used(not as flight crew though) jeppie plates with the tracks marked on them. We often hear the phrase "more northerly track than usual"

They are certainly not standerdised- the "usual" would be mid atlantic. Depends on the weather etc daily. There are days when the tracks remain the same but they certainly change at least twice/thrice weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Neon-Circles is right. They differ depending on the jet streams/weather.

Also, there are no VOR/NDB or other radio navigation aids when crossing the Atlantic.

And Jepp plates normally only contain departure/arrival and airport information.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭crookesa

Does anyone know where I can get details of the standard flightpaths/airways between Dublin & Shannon and UK + US Airports. I think it is something to do with VOR stations??

Here's a link to how the tracks over the Atlantic work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Tracks

You'll find links at the bottom detailing the daily tracks...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

And Jepp plates normally only contain departure/arrival and airport information.
    Could I have seen Jeppie 'charts' instead. I have seen maps by Jeppsen which show the North Atlantic and had tracks marked on them as well as ranges for airports around the periphery of the ocean. I know the plates with the arrival/delature info,they have approach/go-around/runway/radio/taxiway info on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Just looking at my North Atlantic plotting chart and it has the range circles you mention. I think these are used for calculating the point of equal time (PET).

There aint any routes/tracks on this chart though. Just the different FIR's and waypoints on the coastlines.

The Jeppesen plotting charts I have show airports/FIRS on which you plot your route. You can then ascertain en route alternates etc.

Advertisement