Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much would you pay for this car?

Options
  • 01-12-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

Ignoring the people who just think it's ugly, and wouldn't offer more than 50p for it, how much would you pay for a car like this:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1161737

Not picking on that retailer in particular, just using it as an example for pics. For those who don't want to click, it's a 2007 Nissan Note, 5 door, 1.4L, 45k km, 1 previous owner. Let's assume a trade in value on my own car of €300. How much would you expect to pay out for the new(er) car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I wouldn't pay more than 11000 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Nobody will want a €300 trade in, sell it to a scrap yard for €75 and go in with a cash offer of €10,500 on the Note.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1 to what ninty9er said. For the sake of 300 quid it's more of a nuisance than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

be no harm to offer them 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 51,247 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As others have said, don't even think about trading the €300 car in, that will put you at a disadvantage of not being able to get a good deal on a straight sale.

If the €300 car is driving then stick it up on www.adverts.ie. Somebody might take it off you. Either way you will save more on buying the new car with no trade-in.

Here is a cheaper one, given the unpopularity of the Note I would offer €10k for it:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1255547

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Out of curiousity, why is it so unpopular? Is it just the looks? Or is there some serious defect I haven't come across?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd be starting at €9,000 with no trade in.

99% of the Notes I've ever seen have been rental cars and I see nothing on either of the2 linked to that would dissuade me otherwise. We all know the abuse hire cars get.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've driven a Note a few times. Boot is a bit on the small side from what i remember. Not a very very nice car to drive, althought there's a wee bit of poke for the 1.4 engine.

As said, huge amounts of those Note's were hire drive's, i think at the time we were retailing ours, there were 15+ in another dealer in Limerick to compete with price wise. Factor that in for when it comes to resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,247 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thoie wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, why is it so unpopular? Is it just the looks? Or is there some serious defect I haven't come across?

There is nothing wrong with them but there is nothing special about them either, like most Nissans these days with the exception of the Qashqai, they are just not popular anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,458 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

8k max. who wants a petrol Note when there are so many diesel ones?

That's what I'd pay, rather than what they'll sell it for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    8k max. who wants a petrol Note when there are so many diesel ones?

That's what I'd pay, rather than what they'll sell it for.

In the case of that 1.5dci, and the fact you won't be benifiting in the lower tax for MY07, i'd say they are more or less the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,458 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not really, the diesel's fab fuel economy, superior power and the price of diesel will ensure that diesel is the top choice in this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

I think you should go for a 1.5 diesel model, you will get more against a trade-in, in a couple of years, plus better fuel econmy and a nicer drive with more power, Not Many Diesels about in the Note Range, the 1.4 Petrol's are 10 a penny.

cvisser wrote: »
    I think you should go for a 1.5 diesel model, you will get more against a trade-in, in a couple of years, plus better fuel econmy and a nicer drive with more power, Not Many Diesels about in the Note Range, the 1.4 Petrol's are 10 a penny.

And this is where my ignorance shows - I've never owned a diesel, and the last diesel I drove was about 10+ years ago and was unresponsive, sluggish and sounded like a tractor. On the other hand, one of the doors was held on with string, there was no key for it (just a piece of metal), the backseat contained a calf and two dogs and there was no road, so it may not be a fair judgement ;)

Why do diesels have better fuel economy given that the pump price of diesel seems to be a bit higher than petrol? Given that most of the driving would be city driving (or the M50 in stop start mode), is diesel still more efficient? Do modern diesels have more oomph for the times you need to overtake now? Is the tax on a 1.5 diesel higher/lower/same as a 1.4 petrol? (Some quick research shows that a 2007 car would have higher tax, which leads to the question...) Would I be better off paying more for a 2008 diesel if my budget can stretch?

Sorry - I know there's a lot of questions, but I haven't bought a car for myself in a long time!

One additional question: the 2008 diesels seem to be advertised around the 17k mark. What would be a reasonable offer to start with, with no trade in?

And this is where my ignorance shows - I've never owned a diesel, and the last diesel I drove was about 10+ years ago and was unresponsive, sluggish and sounded like a tractor. On the other hand, one of the doors was held on with string, there was no key for it (just a piece of metal), the backseat contained a calf and two dogs and there was no road, so it may not be a fair judgement ;)

Why do diesels have better fuel economy given that the pump price of diesel seems to be a bit higher than petrol? Given that most of the driving would be city driving (or the M50 in stop start mode), is diesel still more efficient? Do modern diesels have more oomph for the times you need to overtake now? Is the tax on a 1.5 diesel higher/lower/same as a 1.4 petrol? (Some quick research shows that a 2007 car would have higher tax, which leads to the question...) Would I be better off paying more for a 2008 diesel if my budget can stretch?

Sorry - I know there's a lot of questions, but I haven't bought a car for myself in a long time!

One additional question: the 2008 diesels seem to be advertised around the 17k mark. What would be a reasonable offer to start with, with no trade in?

You'd save between €200-€250 a year in tax by getting a 08 diesel over a 07 diesel or about €170 by getting a 08 diesel over a 07 petrol.

It's probably not worth it for you unless you can get a serious discount on a 08 diesel which are asking €16k + on Carzone.

Now is a very good time to be buying a car for cash, but a very bad time to be stretching yourself to do so.

This particular Mazda 2 looks good value and is €150 tax. Slightly smaller and the dealer looks to be in dire straights if he's willing to take that for a car that cost €17k a few months ago.

ninty9er wrote: »
    This particular Mazda 2 looks good value and is €150 tax. Slightly smaller and the dealer looks to be in dire straights if he's willing to take that for a car that cost €17k a few months ago.

I have - do you have a link to the Mazda?

My reasons for liking the Note are as follows. 90% of the time I'm driving on my own with groceries/suitcase/nothing but standard toolkit (torch, gloves etc) in the boot. The other 10% I've got a car full of bulky lads in the 6 foot 4+ region, but no luggage except my handbag :)

My liking for the Note is that I can keep my little basket of tools in the "under" boot space out of my way, when I want to put a suitcase in I can push the rear seats forward and have plenty of boot space, but when the back seat fills up with giants they can push the seat back and not kick me in the small of the back throughout the trip :) Also it comes in pretty colours. As you can see, I've done a lot of scientific research into this :o

I don't want to get into the 4x4 area, because then I'd have to bleach my hair blonde and wear sunglasses on my head all the time. I also think 4x4s are feckin ridiculous for city driving.

So yeah, any other suggestions of something that might suit my needs are welcome!

I have - do you have a link to the Mazda?

Apologies, forgot to post it
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda2/Touring/200841190420883/advert

I'd take the 6 footers with you for your test drive as most cars that size have limited rear headroom, the Note included.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Apologies, forgot to post it
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda2/Touring/200841190420883/advert

I'd take the 6 footers with you for your test drive as most cars that size have limited rear headroom, the Note included.

I brought the largest one with me for a test drive a few months ago (I don't rush into these things ;) ) and he was fine. I think turning up with 3 or 4 of them for a test drive would just scare the garage!

Oh dear. That's a rather unfortunate colour :) It is a good price though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

The dealer describing the colour as "Cafe Latte" might be a starting point

tc20 wrote: »
    The dealer describing the colour as "Cafe Latte" might be a starting point

http://www.nissan.ie/new_vehicles/colour/passenger/Note.aspx?CarID=114
    That's the official actual colour:eek:

There aren't many cars that look well in bright green, but the new Mazda 2 can pull it off.

Advertisement