Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about studying.

Options
  • 01-12-2008 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Okay this is something that has really been bothering me. I've read some of the threads on this forum but they haven't helped me as much as I'd hoped. I'm really worried about my study technique. I have the motivation to study and do well but I'm studying efficently. I just spend about 2 hours writing out notes and stuff but I got so little done chapter wise and I hardly condensed the material at all. I'm really considering just going back to reading over stuff because this writing business doesn't seem to be working, but all my teachers are saying that it won't work. I'm so confused.

Can anybody help me. I need to figure out an efficent way to study because I can't figure one out atm.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Junther

First it depends on what works better for you, whether you learn material quicker and easier by reading it or by writing it. Writing takes time but if you feel it works best for you then keep doing it. I prefer reading aloud as you take in more information and its quicker, then when you go to revise you just need to scam over the important points. Basically all your doing is writing it, I bet half the time you dont know what your even writing. Theres no way you can stay focused when your writing out notes for hours. I tried writing out and it didnt work at all. I think you should learn the material you get on the day when you get home, its fresh in your head so its easier to learn. Teachers tell you to write stuff out to make it look like your doing something and not dossing. I have a teacher who said that when "it" writes out notes it works better for "it" and makes me do it. Its bull****, just cause it works for "it" it works for everyone. Heres an example, On my last test I scored 82%, the one before that was 65% and the 65% is the one I wrote notes for, but after the result i felt it wasnt working and just learnt the material the day i got it. Its brought the grades up for me so I hope it will for you,

GOOD LUCK WITH THE EXAMS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

how to study

sit down

open a book

find a chapter

learn it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

Bullet points on each chapter. :) Learn those points off and then expand them when answering your questions.

I was no brain-box in school, but that technique worked wonders for me and I got a good LC because of it.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

For a start, Jiggidy, study for fun.

Sit down and read the chapter. Then get up, go and make yourself a cuppa and think about it.

Go back and (without checking) write out six *questions* about the chapter, and see if you can answer them.

Treat it like a game. If you lash yourself with it, and feel miserable and incompetent, you're going to make yourself miserable, and you aren't going to work effectively.

When you do well, praise yourself and give yourself treats. If your teacher's positive (but not if she has a negative attitude) ask if you can get her to look over your night's study very quickly the first couple of times and tell you if you're doing well, and how to do better.

But most of all, enjoy it.

Advertisement