Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

County of reg. when importing car

Options
  • 01-12-2008 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi All,

Quick question - looking at importing a car and was wondering if the county I register car plates to will impact it's value (I have a friend in Dublin who's address I could use when paying VRT or my own in Sligo).

Any views appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There's a lot of opinions on this and most of them are interesting.
    Some people even mention GAA county rivalries but that could be a myth :)

Go with your Sligo reg, I can't see it having an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,246 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where is the car going to spend most of it's life?

In other words a car with a D reg will not be worth anymore if sold in Sligo down the road and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

Bazz,

It will be in Sligo for at least three years - would also try and sell locally afterwards. Was only trying to see if it would have a big impact in value but it doesn't seem to matter hugely.....

Thanks for the input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Im from longford and wanted to register my uk beemer in dublin d reg and all that. They asked me for proof of address i didnt have any so used my ld address. Bit of hassle too when reselling because if i see car i want to look at the log book and be outside the house that it says is on the log book. An so reg is allright once its not cn, Lm, or worst of all LH!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

When registering a car now they go by your PPS number and the corrosponding address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

micmclo wrote: »
    Some people even mention GAA county rivalries but that could be a myth :)

Not a myth! I'm from Waterford and whereas W would be my ideal plate, I could live with WD, WX, TS, CW, D or G.

However C would definitely put me off, and KK would be an absolute deal-breaker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I live in Galway and have had D and G cars. Although I prefer G I would probably drive anything, if I get a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

TommyT wrote: »
    When registering a car now they go by your PPS number and the corrosponding address.

I've never given my PPS number when registering a car :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭positron

pipsqueak wrote: »
    ..An so reg is allright once its not cn, Lm, or worst of all LH!!!:D

Sorry for asking this, but why/what is the logic... Is it the roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

MYOB wrote: »
    I've never given my PPS number when registering a car :confused:

They do this now. Probably to keep track of how many people are importing. My last car I could have registered anywhere so long as I had an address there, not any more though.

All you folk who would or wouldn't buy a car because of a letter on a plastic plate are sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

positron wrote: »
    Sorry for asking this, but why/what is the logic... Is it the roads?

Stupidity is the answer really.

Advertisement