Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A girls signals

Options
  • 01-12-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Right so I'm getting to a stage in my life where I, not want, but feel I NEED a GF / Buck Fuddy / any kind of contact at all with the opposite sex.

I don't go out much, but when I do and I think, "oh there's a girl I'm attracted to"* but the problem is the concept of walking up to a girl in that context is just so foreign to me.

The only way I could see myself approaching a girl is if I know for sure she likes me, i.e. she's been giving me "signals".

Problem is I can't read signals for ****.

So, what signals (and how does one read them) does a girl give off if she likes a guy?

*I'm attracted to all girls at this stage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I learnt long ago (well, yesterday or the week before) that even the best looking, or funniest or most sincere guy will get his fair share of rejection.

Its not anything you can take personally, a girl might decide she isn't interested for any number of reasons, but I believe that there is someone out there for everyone if they at least make an attempt.

Just go up, chat to a girl you like. Be yourself, all that jazz and don't objectify her or look at her as a means to an end. I don't know too much about women emitting signals like traffic lights, I mean its fairly obvious when a girl is interested in a guy, but that is just an invitation for him to prove he might be suitable for her (I tried to think of a better way of saying that without coming off like David Attenborough, but it'll have to do).

Anyway, most women, not all, just most, will not make it easy for a guy even if they like them.

So what I'm saying in a round about way is that its never going to be easy, even if a girl is really interested you have to do some work.

So expect to hear a lot of "MTFU!" from people in a minute, take a gamble and just talk to as many girls as you can. You may get rejected 9 times out of 10 but thats life. It happens with jobs, the lottery (damn you euromillions, why wont you love me!) and especially in love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

So you want to know in advance for definite that a girl will sex you by you reading 'signals' before you waste your precious breath on her in case all she fancies is a chat?

K, well, if they start talking money and no kissing in the first 30 seconds I'd say you're in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Wow that op doesn't sound like you want to meet girls for the wrong reasons at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Go to your local library and get out a book on body language.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

At the risk of inciting a riot, you need confidence, build confidence by going for "easier" girls, then work your way up the little ladder.

Do not however read into all that PUA bull, it does not work.(I haven't tried it, but a mate did, and he is quite a good lookin fella so if it didn't work for him.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Ah come on lads, lets not bust his balls.

the dude is clouded by the basic need for companionship. We have all been there.

I grew up in a house full of women, scary but a great education.
    My tips would be:

Be confident or pretend to be.

Don't use chat up lines EVER.

Keep conversation casual and shown a geniune interest in what they have to say (this works for everyone, not just women).

Never leave yourself hanging. If she is still talking to you with smiles and laughter after 15-20 mins, then you may have earned the right to maybe get her phone number ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

So, what signals (and how does one read them) does a girl give off if she likes a guy?
    Was watching an American college football game Saturday and the offensive quarterback was calling signals to his team for the next play, is that what you want, but with birds? You want to know the play she is calling?

God I hate threads that assume all women are the same, think the same, want the same and react the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

FFS cut the guy some slack. He's wondering what signals does a girl give off if she's remotely interested in talking to the guy so he doesn't end up going up to every girl he finds attractive and making a tit of himself.

You womenz don't realise how scary you are to some of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Thaedydal wrote: »
    God I hate threads that assume all women are the same, think the same, want the same and react the same.

Yeah me too, got a link any such thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

OP, never mind signals because one girl's 'come hither' look might be another girl's 'come near me an' I'll punch ye!' look! There are too many variables to consider when you're trying to figure out signals, so your best bet (as the constant in the equation, see maths does have it's uses :)) is to decide if you like the look of someone, or how they carry themselves, and just go for it. And don't take it personally if a girl rejects you, just go back to your mates and enjoy the rest of your night or get talking to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

I hear they're selling testicle seeds in most well known retailers now, prob wanna get yourself some and grow a pair.

In seriousness though, talking to people is the only sure fire way of knowing whether they like you or not. Just see a girl you like, and talk to her. People say its not that easy, but it really is.

You are also most certainly not attracted to all girls. That would be pretty silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

At the risk of inciting a riot, you need confidence, build confidence by going for "easier" girls, then work your way up the little ladder.

Lovely.....:rolleyes:

OP, If you want a decent book on body language look for one by Allan Pease, He's pretty good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

CoachBoone wrote: »
    I hear they're selling testicle seeds in most well known retailers now, prob wanna get yourself some and grow a pair.
    :D Genius.

Easy answer, you just know. Of course that's BS, I know because I've got practice over time and I'm pretty good at reading people in general. I would say looking objectively and in general, women turn their bodies towards you more. Want to engage you in more conversation. They laugh more to encourage you. Will try to get close to you physically. Will lean towards you. Will touch themselves more, especially their hair. They'll even gently scratch themselves which is a weird one, but I've seen that one a lot. :confused: Maybe I've got fleas though.... Lips move more when they're not talking, they look at your mouth too. Conversation wise, they ask more and more about you and try and slip in some subtle stuff about current relationship status(if they're single themselves, if they're just up for a jump, they won't care usually). Arms behind their head to display breasts is another one. Even women with no bewbs to speak of will do that. If you're really getting to them crossing and uncrossing their legs is another sign. They'll tend to escalate this stuff to then touching you. Subtly at first or for some non sexual excuse.

If you have a good lot of the above you're likely in. I would say contrary to a lot of guys beliefs, women are not as picky or fussy as men think(or even what women may say). Women for the most part encourage men, even borderline men. They're actually quite open to men, if men are open and non bullshítty with them. Men often are though and miss the signals or screw the deal too early etc. TBH if a woman likes you even a little its 9 times outa 10 the blokes fault for screwing up IMHO of course. I've a mate who is a complete(and I mean complete) man whore. I've seen him go off sleep with a woman within hours of meeting. More than once. He's nothing to look at either. He just doesn't stop them or put them off. He's confident, not arrogant and he's good company. Up for a laugh. The other thing is he doesnt make them feel guilty for anything they may do either. Slut he may be, judgemental he is not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wibbs wrote: »
    I know because I've got practice over time and I'm pretty good at reading people in general.

Were you not the one telling the story of how a girl repeatedly made it blatantly obvious she had a crush on you and you just didn't get it til everyone around you smacked some sense into you? ;o

bluewolf wrote: »
    Were you not the one telling the story of how a girl repeatedly made it blatantly obvious she had a crush on you and you just didn't get it til everyone around you smacked some sense into you? ;o

Oh yes the girl who had a t shirt made up and wore it to get the message across....

Oh yes the girl who had a t shirt made up and wore it to get the message across....

Yep that's the one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Don't laugh at that, you have no idea how horrible it is:mad:

That horrible curdling feeling in your stomach when you realise that you missed out on someone who you were really interested in......

Don't laugh at that, you have no idea how horrible it is:mad:

That horrible curdling feeling in your stomach when you realise that you missed out on someone who you were really interested in......

Actually... yeah, I do.
    Had a crush on a guy for a very long time, one to two years. We were friends, and I decided quickly enough he just wasn't interested and put it to the back of my mind as much as possible. Told him years later in conversation as it didn't really matter anymore, and when he said he had had a crush on me too... !! Man. horrible feeling.

Wibbs' story still was very funny though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

You mean you DON'T?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The 'kin vultures are circling now. Don't turn your back on them lads...:) Yea well I was 21 at the time so, that's allowed:D

Don't laugh at that, you have no idea how horrible it is

Naw it's cool. After the tee shirt incident I went out with her. Close one though.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

:D

Did it work?

I mentioned to one of my friends (jokingly) that she should do this for a guy she likes. :p

Dord wrote: »
    :D

Did it work?

I mentioned to one of my friends (jokingly) that she should do this for a guy she likes. :p

Psssst, see the post above yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

mba0419l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭line_of_fire

Hey OP just come up to the girl and have a chat with her. Most of us girls arent total meanies and are actually quite approachable just dont ever EVER use chat up lines on us it never works and just makes ye guys look like fools!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Barcode

ok galwayguy22 so you cant read signals for **** but a lot of the time girls cant either, I was actually talking to a few of my friends about this the other day. And the conclusion we came to was that we can never read signals that are meant for ourselves but can read them for when they are meant for one of our friends.
    So maybe bring a guy friend who is good at reading signals get him o point you in he right direction and see how it goes from there.

Other than that if you like a girl just go up and talk to her.
    Introduce your self, chat with her, treat her nicely.
    Also don't just automatically assume she will go home with you.
    Chat to her, make her laugh if at all possible.
    If things are going well suggest meeting up again or ask for her number.

-- it may all sound a bit old or whatever but it will work, be a gentleman and treat a girl with some respect and you will get somewhere

Not all girls are b*****s - take a chance the most she will do is turn you down

Have a read of this website too it might help http://www.sirc.org/publik/flirt.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Right so I'm getting to a stage in my life where I, not want, but feel I NEED a GF / Buck Fuddy / any kind of contact at all with the opposite sex.

I don't go out much, but when I do and I think, "oh there's a girl I'm attracted to"* but the problem is the concept of walking up to a girl in that context is just so foreign to me.

The only way I could see myself approaching a girl is if I know for sure she likes me, i.e. she's been giving me "signals".

*I'm attracted to all girls at this stage

It's a bit hard to just a "signal" from 30 feet across a room so you're going to have to go talk to a woman. If you wish, then you can keep an eye out for that sexy lonely woman in the pub smiling and looking away and licking her lips while gawking at you but I don't think these exist. You might see the odd smile and then turn away . It's hardly an invitation to her bedroom and it's not a proposal but if someone's looking at you go say hello. If you're somewhere you can speak then make conversation. If there's a general reason both of you are in the same place (such as a gig next door or a sports game or something then there's a good starting topic). Don't start with "can I get you a drink?" or your budget for the night will soon be as small as your self esteem.

While talking, eye contact helps (from both parties), if she's smiling and seems interested in what you're saying then that's a plus. If she's looking away and not reacting to anything you're saying and seems more interested in her phone then cut your loses and get yourself a drink.
    If her body is facing you then that's good, if she's standing or sitting with her side to you then that could be negative. The "playing with one's hair" sign some say is negative , others say it's positive. I think it means nervousness of some sort . If you say something funny and she laughs and gently touches you on the shoulder, chest or thigh then that's a fair sign that she likes your company and wants you to stick around .

This is all general shoite and all cliche ridden stuff and most women will probably disagree with what I've said as manly rubbish or myth. idn_smilie.gif

No woman is going to hold up a sign for you or anyone else that says "I want to fuck whatever guy looks in my derection"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Indicators of Interest 101:
    It's an IOI if-
    what she says
    -she tries to end silence; ex- "so..."
    -she initiates contact with you
    -asks about name/age/ethnicity/fragrance/clothin
    -married women talks incessently to you, yet never mentions the husband
    -asks you if you're leaving when you put something away or put on your gloves, etc
    what she does
    -she plays with her hair while talking to you
    -you sense jealousy when you mention another female
    -she makes eye contact then smiles at you
    -she brings her group of friends to stand near your group of friends and keeps looking over
    -she watches you on the dancefloor
    -body language i.e If she moves her body around to face you while you are talking
    -grabbing hat/ring etc. and putting it on unprovoked or touches any article of clothing
    -legs become intertwined with yours
    -leans in while talking to you
    -looks at you when you look away, then turns away when you look back
    You absolutely know you're in when-
    -she puts her hand on your leg
    -licks her lips when talking to
    -she tries to grab your attention constantly
    -she grabs your crotch or ass
    -you can see her giving you the doggy dinner bowl eyes
    -she takes your cell phone without warning and she put her phone number in

Of course thats hardly exhaustive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Of course thats hardly exhaustive.

or informative.

I'd file 99% of those under common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It's a bit hard to just a "signal" from 30 feet across a room so you're going to have to go talk to a woman.
    30ft is a bit far, but 15 is totally doable.

Advertisement