Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Leon Stella 1.4

Options
  • 01-12-2008 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone has ever owned or know any problems that people tend to have with these cars.
    I've just put a deposit down on one of them(2001) and my friend checked it out and said he could see no problems but he requested they replace the timing belt and water pump as part of the deal as I wont be able to afford to put money into car few months down the line.

I will be paying €3000 cash and giving them my 97 honda civic as a trade in which I think is not a bad deal?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Watch the oil level. It's a vw underneath so don't expect honda levels of reliability. Having said that I would have one over a golf any day. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Nice looking car. Friend had one and had no troubles with it . What kind of milage is on it if you dont mind me asking ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Yeah know what you mean i've had the civic for year and a half now and its done a great job for me,has high mileage(150,000) but it just seems to run and run and thankfully hasnt cost me lotsa money apart from new exhaust from kwik fit(as they told me i'd need it to pass nct on emissions-which i still failed on)...
    I'm just dreading something major going wrong and not having the money to fix it cos i do about 40 miles a day to work and back on motorway so would be lost without it.

Its got 56000 miles on it and seems a good clean car so fingers crossed! (hope its not clocked cos noticed another car in garage was)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

If it's the 100bhp 16v engine they are not too bad, the 1.4 thats in the golf is a soft engine, burns a fair bit of oil.

I have a 2003 leon myself, main things to look out for are water leaking into the cabin. They are a pain in the @rse for this.

Foam door seals on the inner panel perish and allow water in over the door sill soaking the carpet, seat charge around 300 euros to fix the 4 door seals. I did it myself, the parts cost around 40euro and it's called sealing cord, tacky rubber vs foam seals, took me about 30 mins per door to fix.

Next is leaks from a seam in the bulkhead which is not sealed properly from the factory, water drips from above the pedals soaking the carpet over time. Fixed this myself too, took a long time to find the leak. Had to strip a lot of the interior dash trim/pedals/fuse box out :mad:

Thirdly is the pollen filter is difficult to replace properly and can be damaged while putting it back, water leaks into the passenger footwell.

So have a really good feel around the carpets for leaks. Pull up the mats and carpet if you can.

Neil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

suzieb wrote: »
    Its got 56000 miles on it and seems a good clean car so fingers crossed! (hope its not clocked cos noticed another car in garage was)!
    Another car in the same garage??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

suzieb wrote: »

Alarm bells...walk away....buyers market and all that!

Did you check for a stamped up service book, ring garage that serviced the car, verify mileage with old nct certs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hey suzie, they're a great car just get back to us about the history etc.. there are plenty of them about, in my opinion you'd be better off looking for a 1.6.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Leon/1.6-Sign/200840190290701/advert

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I had one of those and the only problem I had over two years was the ignition coil going. Simple to fix and not too expensive. I saw someone else on here had the same problem so it seems to be not unknown. Had very little trouble with the infamous leak, but once in a blue moon would have a small amount of water on the mat in the front passenger seat. Good car, 1.4 is fine for average round town driving. Massive boot and a great workhorse.

Thanks for all replies.
    Not really interested in anything over 1.4 due to petrol cost as my bf has a 1.5 litre and seems to be big diff in what he puts in towards me..

Yeah there was another car in the garage that was defo clocked according to my mechanic friend but he said the leon seemed fine and had a good look thru service book and there are stamps and dates of services which seem to tally but gonna get in touch with tom walsh motors tomo cos believe the car came from there.(the car that was clocked had all the dates of services etc in the book but it was all obviously written on the same day-same slanted writing and pen used and it'd hardly be same person servicing over years!

• Advertisement

I'm lost. No offence, suzieb, but why are you even considering buying a car from an outfit who clock cars?

I know it seems stupid but this car i'm buying isn't clocked so thats really all i care about...I've come across plenty of clocked cars in garages so i suppose once i'm happy this one isnt it suits me.

What if something else goes wrong with it? Or some other fault has been covered up? Do you really think a bunch of crims are going to look after you once they have your money? How will you even know that they've changed the TB & WP as agreed? Honestly, it seems stupid because it is stupid.:)

Anan1 wrote: »
    What if something else goes wrong with it? Or some other fault has been covered up? Do you really think a bunch of crims are going to look after you once they have your money? How will you even know that they've changed the TB & WP as agreed? Honestly, it seems stupid because it is stupid.:)

Thanks for that anan1 i know what your saying and appreciate y our advice but am gonna go with it.
    I had found out few days after putting deposit down that i know the guy who sells some cars on to this place and this was one of his so i'l be hounding him if theres any probs that arent just run of the mill things that can go wrong on any car at any time!
    My mechanic is checking the TB & WP tomorrow before i pay for it.

Thanks

to add: i jsut checked the car out on motorcheck just to check odometer etc and everything tallies so thats bit more peace of mind for me!

Advertisement