Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car stolen with spare key

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Anan1 wrote: »
    What have the ins. co. done wrong?

I'm not saying that they have, just I read an article in the Tribune a while ago about an insurance company paying current Gardai to do behind the scenes investigative work on their behalf. If the Gardai are putting more of an emphasis on the OP rather than his complaint, I'd be wondering if the insurance company are telling him one thing and the gardai another. At the end of the day, if it subsequently turns out that he was involved in the theft/disappearance of his car, they could have him charged and get the money back...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Yeah, but what of his right to make a complaint with regard to the theft of his car and have that complaint acted upon??? I think escalating issues like this to a higher authority is a good way of keeping the system honest.
    I agree with you in principle. But, in this particular case, what do we have? The word of a Garda friend of the OP that the Gardai are not looking for the car is all, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bbq

Anan1 wrote: »
    I agree with you in principle. But, in this particular case, what do we have? The word of a Garda friend of the OP that the Gardai are not looking for the car is all, really.

Well, it certainly looks like that. Two Gardai came to the shopping centre after the car was taken. I've already described their demeanour. Frankly, they seemed disinterested. I went home to discover that the spare key was gone. I rang the Garda Station to tell them but talked to a guard who had only just come on duty and knew none of the details. He said the two guards I had dealt with were out in the car and usually checked in about every two hours. He said he'd get them to contact me.

By that evening, I hadn't heard anything from them. I rang the Garda station again and talked to yet another guard who'd just come on duty. I told him the whole story again and he said he'd get them to contact me. I haven't heard from them since. The only contact I've had with that Garda Station was when they sent the two guards to the shopping centre after the car was reported stolen and phone calls made by me. Nobody returned my calls, nobody asked that I make a statement, nobody has contacted me from there since the day the car was taken.

My Garda friend arranged that I make a statement at my local Garda station as the initial crime - the taking of the key which led to the theft of the car - happened in their jurisdiction. The guy from the insurance company asked me who had dealt with the reporting of the theft. I told him and he said he'd contact them.

I think that sounds like nobody's looking for the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

bbq wrote: »
    Well, it certainly looks like that. Two Gardai came to the shopping centre after the car was taken. I've already described their demeanour. Frankly, they seemed disinterested. I went home to discover that the spare key was gone. I rang the Garda Station to tell them but talked to a guard who had only just come on duty and knew none of the details. He said the two guards I had dealt with were out in the car and usually checked in about every two hours. He said he'd get them to contact me.

By that evening, I hadn't heard anything from them. I rang the Garda station again and talked to yet another guard who'd just come on duty. I told him the whole story again and he said he'd get them to contact me. I haven't heard from them since. The only contact I've had with that Garda Station was when they sent the two guards to the shopping centre after the car was reported stolen and phone calls made by me. Nobody returned my calls, nobody asked that I make a statement, nobody has contacted me from there since the day the car was taken.

My Garda friend arranged that I make a statement at my local Garda station as the initial crime - the taking of the key which led to the theft of the car - happened in their jurisdiction. The guy from the insurance company asked me who had dealt with the reporting of the theft. I told him and he said he'd contact them.

The sad thing is that a stolen car doesn't even seem to register in their heads as a crime anymore. If someone broke into your house and stole 6K of cash from the house, it would be a different story but when it comes to a stolen car, it's like a hinderance to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It certainly sounds less than courteous, but I can't see any reason for you to presume from this that they're not looking for the car. Still, though, I do think from what you said that you have grounds for making a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

[just reading the thread here, I doubt the guards are actually looking for the car, they generally don't look for cars, if it turns up and they are made aware of it they will inform you, like somebody reports a car on the side of the road, a burnt out car is found, used in a robbery and caught etc....
    The guards do not look for cars, they can't hopefully soon they will as they start to use the number recognition camera's found in the UK police cars...
    Also the guards know that if they stole your car like that, i.e. followed you around for two days to get the car, they weren't after it for a joy ride, it was either shipped out already or its in parts somewhere...

I have a bit of experience in this field.. And no I am not a guard....
    Not wishing to dump on the OP here, but if you where a guard, somebody reports a car stolen (especially the newer models) and they have the original keys.... well the first thing that comes into your head is... this guy has something to do with it, its a scam its not right... say what you want to say, all the evidence points in that direction..
    Then you ring the guards later that day and tell them the spare key is missing... seriously how suspect is this looking
    I have every sympathy for the OP here, but look at it from the guards point of view....
    as to them not returning calls etc... thats wrong and out of order....

I'm becoming more depressed by the minute here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Don't get too depressed, if its all above board and no charges are brought against you, and its over 30 days... press your insurance company for a payout... at least you will get your money back and have learned a valuable lesson....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, don't get depressed, the insurance will pay and you can replace it.

Your car would have been listed as stolen as soon as you reported it, whatever the Garda may or may not have have taught. Its their job to be suspicious of everything so I wouldn't take it personally.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So if it was stolen from a shopping centre was there no security cameras around the carpark or on roads/buildings near by?

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    So if it was stolen from a shopping centre was there no security cameras around the carpark or on roads/buildings near by?

I spent 45 minutes in the security office looking at CCTV with the security guy. I had described the area I parked to him initially. He said he couldn't see anything so I asked him if I could look at it. Turned out he was looking at the wrong area. Of course, the cameras weren't trained on the area I parked. So we watched the exit of the car park where they would have exited. The quality was useless as confirmed by the retired detective who I spoke to from the insurance company. I saw a number of black cars leaving the car park and only had to look at a window of 45 minutes as that was the maximum amount of time I was there. But the pictures were from a distance and blurred to the extent that it was almost impossible to make out even the shape of the car.

Still no sign of the car. It was taken from Donaghmede Shopping Centre so, going on what I've read here and on other boards, I wonder if it could be in a car park somewhere nearby.

05 D 85833. Black Golf 1.6 FSI. Damage to back door on driver's side where someone reversed into it (traces of red paint).

Please pm me if you have any information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Similar thing happened to my mother a few years ago, The car was stolen when she was in the Spar in Milltown, the car was found a few weeks later with the engine and gearbox removed and burnt out. ( dunsink lane)

A couple of years later the dealer who she bought the car off was convicted for dealing in stolen engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cul99

Bad luck mate. My R32 golf was taken from my house last week from behind electric security gates. They took the whole pane of glass out of a window - it doesnt open so there are no alarm contact sensors on it. They searched the kitchen for the keys, opened the gate from the button inside the hall door and out they went. Best part is - this is the second time this year they've robbed it.

cul99 wrote: »
    Bad luck mate. My R32 golf was taken from my house last week from behind electric security gates. They took the whole pane of glass out of a window - it doesnt open so there are no alarm contact sensors on it. They searched the kitchen for the keys, opened the gate from the button inside the hall door and out they went. Best part is - this is the second time this year they've robbed it.

I talked to somebody yesterday who had exactly the same thing happen i.e. the double glazed unit removed from the frame of the window. I wondered if it was an urban legend. Her DH heard voices downstairs at 4 a.m. and thought it was his daughter. He opened the living room door to find a guy standing in the room and another guy holding the glass he'd just removed. After all that, they scarpered when they saw him. They seemed to be after the keys of his BMW. They haven't tried again, so far.

And I hope you get your car back. How did you get it back the first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cul99

Yeah mine was done at 430. The hour before dawn. Only there were three of them. I saw the third getting into the car and he saw me but they were halfway down the road at that stage. And the question is, if you make it harder for them to steal, trackers, gates, immobilisers etc. Will they not just be quicker to go up to your room and threaten you?

I refuse to let the scum dictate what car I drive. But safety has to come first?

Gardai found it 10 days later in an underground car park just down the road from my house the first time.
    This time they found it abandoned in Sally Gap. I think the engine went on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Fuppin backstards. Makes me sick. Hope everything works out for you OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ResDub

Sorry Op to hear about your motor. Just wondering can your key be read by a Vw garage to prove its the key being used constantly ? As in you have the original and therfore your spare was used. Would be up to your insurance company investigator to do this for you. Dont know if this can be done but it might help.

By being up front with your insurance will probably help and ensure a pay out, if they don't i think there is an insurance ombudsman.

No harm either checking on line to see golfs that are advertised for sale you might recognise a photo of your own golf.

Best of luck hope it turns up in one piece.

cul99 wrote: »
    Yeah mine was done at 430. The hour before dawn. Only there were three of them. I saw the third getting into the car and he saw me but they were halfway down the road at that stage. And the question is, if you make it harder for them to steal, trackers, gates, immobilisers etc. Will they not just be quicker to go up to your room and threaten you?

I refuse to let the scum dictate what car I drive. But safety has to come first?

Gardai found it 10 days later in an underground car park just down the road from my house the first time.
    This time they found it abandoned in Sally Gap. I think the engine went on them.

I didn't realise you got it back this time. I'm very happy to hear it and I identify with everything else you have to say. Like everyone on here I suspect. Don't know what the answer is.

• Advertisement

ResDub wrote: »
    Sorry Op to hear about your motor. Just wondering can your key be read by a Vw garage to prove its the key being used constantly ? As in you have the original and therfore your spare was used. Would be up to your insurance company investigator to do this for you. Dont know if this can be done but it might help.

By being up front with your insurance will probably help and ensure a pay out, if they don't i think there is an insurance ombudsman.

No harm either checking on line to see golfs that are advertised for sale you might recognise a photo of your own golf.

Best of luck hope it turns up in one piece.

Thanks for the advice. Have to admit I don't know much about all of this key stuff. I returned the original key and documents to the insurance company last week so I'm happy for them to do whatever they have to do to satisfy themselves that everything is above board. I just want my car back.

The more I hear about cars being left in car parks or abandoned, I hope the same has happened to mine. It wasn't exactly 'top of the range' so I can't imagine that they targeted it specifically to ship it out of the country or use it in a 'job'. Of course, they may have wanted it for parts (a la the poster whose mother's car was found in Dunsink Lane).

The guy from the insurance company felt it was an opportunist theft rather than the car being targeted. If it had been my wallet on the hall table, he would have taken that. As someone said, I let my guard down and he took his chance. And he felt that the guy who took the key didn't take the car. That he sold it to someone who took it. They couldn't get it over the next two nights so came down Wednesday midday to get it. I was on the move at that stage so they simply followed me and took it after I parked it.

Still hoping it'll turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

In all that time, how have you been getting around? Did the insurance company provide a replacement hire car or what? In your dealings with the gardai, it's the notion, implied or otherwise that you're a suspect, not a victim in your misfortune. It makes the blood boil.

I've had two cars stolen. Once while at a wedding, and it was parked at my sister's house. Never got that back. And the next was opportunist, or just sheer bad luck as far as I was concerned. I can drive my car around the back of the house, where it's out of sight. But one evening, while the kitchen was being tiled, the tiler had his van in by the door, so I had to leave mine out on the road. The only time in five years of owning it, that it was left on the road! I watched some football game on TV while he was there, and only went to bring it in when he was gone. Alas, it was gone!

I reported it to the gardai, who then informed me it had already been seen, reported as abandoned and towed back to a neighbouring station! All before I knew it was missing at all.

Because I mostly work from home, I've been managing without my car by using my OH's when it's available and have had to use taxis a few times but it's getting increasingly difficult. Today for example, I'm in a real bind because I really need it and there isn't one available. I realised last night that I've been hoping every day that I'd get the phone call to say they'd found it in one piece. But I know I'm being unrealistic so I'm going to have to try to get them to give me a replacement until this is sorted out.

When this kind of thing happens, people glibly say 'Sure it's only a car and that's what you've insurance for'. If only it were as easy as that.

Advertisement