Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

easy to replace a wheel stud?

Options
  • 01-12-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

i broke a front wheel stud off my 99 corolla and gonna try and replace it myself due to lack of funds. just looking for encouragement cos never tried it before, is it straight forward enough? i reckon i'll have to take off the brake caliper, bridge thing and rotor to get access to the stud. hoping i don't mess it up though! any tips welcome. saw some videos online and manuals too that show how to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Can't comment on a 99 model - the later ('02 on) is very easy to do. Toyota have a habit of making jobs very easy to do though, so it should be straight-forward.

First off make sure the car is supported by axle stands if possible, and not solely by a jack.

Strip all the brake components off and hammer the old stud out (towards the inside of the hub) There should be a recess for the stud to come out, have a look ensuring you have enough clearance to remove the old stud.

Warning - if you cannot see an obvious point at the rear of the hub for removal/installation of the new stud, don't do anything - the drive-shaft may have to be removed to replace the stud.

When you put the new stud in, before putting the brake components back on, put the wheel on and use a wheel nut to pull the new stud into place in the hub - keep an eye that the stud doesn't start spinning, rendering your efforts useless! With the stud fully seated, reassemble the brake components and put the wheel on.
    And don't forget to pump the brake pedal before you move the car.

Advertisement