Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dole

• 01-12-2008 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I know we're in the midst of a recession right now, but is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with seeing so many people on the Dole?

I've seen so many young, able bodied people with no responsibilities being on the dole and it sickens me to think that myself and the rest of us who work pay taxes so these people can sit around, sleep in, drink cans and fritter away their lives.

Yes, some people on the Dole are genuinely looking for work, but for the most part, it seems like most people on it are just lazy scroungers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

stormymay wrote: »
    I know we're in the midst of a recession right now, but is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with seeing so many people on the Dole?

I've seen so many young, able bodied people with no responsibilities being on the dole and it sickens me to think that myself and the rest of us who work pay taxes so these people can sit around, sleep in, drink cans and fritter away their lives.

Yes, some people on the Dole are genuinely looking for work, but for the most part, it seems like most people on it are just lazy scroungers.
    **** Off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No probs, I promise to stay off the dole if you can arrange to return every euro of PRSI I've ever paid!
    Can't be done? Well then I consider I've paid into the system for 4 years so I expect my entitlements if I'm eligable

Don't be so quick to judge newbie. You could be relying on it some day.
    Where do you work? I don't expect you'll answer......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

CiaranC banned for 2 days for his abusive comment.

OP - in case you hadn't noticed, we're in a recession and jobs are being shed left, right and centre. That's why there's so many on the dole right now. Yes of course some are scroungers but that's nothing new.

This topic is nothing to do with this forum so i'm locking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 stormymay

I'm not going to say where I work, but I'm in advertising.

Yeah, fair enough, you've paid years of tax, but if everyone had the attitude that paying that tax meant that they were then entitled to go on the dole, then the tax you'd be paying would be higher to accomodate the amount of people getting on the dole.

I just don't think it's right that people can get money for doing nothing, when others, yourself included, pay for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement