Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW SCANNER

• 01-12-2008 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

WHERE COULD I BUY A GOOD SCANNER FOR A GOOD PRICE:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Depends on what you want to listen to

Also turn off Caps Lock
    Its rude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ballyrick

barnicles wrote: »
    Depends on what you want to listen to

Also turn off Caps Lock
    Its rude

airband/fm i dont know really and what is whf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

I just bought a ALINCO DJ-X3 SCANNER on ebay for £75 delivered. Wide band and no gaps. A new one on ebay is £100 plus delivery, but is still good value! Check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The alinco is a pain as it has no keypad direct frequency entry.

Read the other threads.

It depends what you want to listen to.

I have a Bearcat Airband/FM VHF/UHF scanner (cheap but good for Weather satellites) and a Yaesu VR500 that does 100kHz .. 1300MHz, no gaps with all Modes: AM, Narrow AM, SSB(USB/LSB), CW, (WB)FM, NBFM and bandscope.

I have also an old Sony ICF2001D, AM/SSB/CW 150kHz to 30MHz (Marine, Aviation, Broadcast, Amateur, CB bands), airband and VHF-FM.

They all have their + & - according to application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I was talking to ballyrick today and he said he was interested in a Yaesu vr120d. are these good?

• Advertisement

yes barnicles i think ill buy the yaesu vr-120d is it good??? for 93euros.

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/widerxvr/3120.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd have to recommend Yupiteru- you can get a decent MVT7000/7100 or 7300 on ebay for £70-80 sterling. Its really good at pulling in weaker signals- where other scanners might get swamped with stronger signals. I guess everyone has their personal preferences though......

i think i will get the yaesu 500 for 150-200 insted!!

I got a 2nd hand Vr500 for under 120 as it had a crack in battery case on eBay. Very happy with it

Take batteries out when not in use or it flattens them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I got a MINT Realistic 2035 for less than €70 icluding shipping from ebay UK.

Does the job, have antennas for 74MHz, 156MHz and UHF traffic...

I can monitor as much as I need to on this..

Sure I have handhelds but you'll get sick of them quite quickly.

Save your money for a good external antenna, other wise you won't hear much.

From here I can hear most, if not all fire service in Munster etc..

• Advertisement

A €50 discone on Chimney with RG213 coax downlead works well 25MHz to 1300MHz. Much better than any built on whip/rubber ducky.

At reduced performance it does give LW (R4 198kHz), MW and SW better than built in aerial or whip indoors due to dramatic reduction in Interference.

Advertisement