Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Controlled Clocks

Options
  • 01-12-2008 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Also known as Atomic Clocks ..........

Does anyone know the origin for the 'Time Signal' that powers our 'Radio Controlled Clocks'?

I have three in the house (Dublin) and all three are always 100% accurate, all three change from BST to GMT & back as if by magic, but a friend recently told me that the LW signal that controls my Clocks was beemed directly from France! but I always thought it came from Northern England?

Maybe there are Atomic Clocks in France & England beaming out the same signal?

And if I am picking up the 'Atomic' French LW signal how does it know when to put the Clock forward & backward one hour in the Spring & Autumn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

There is an old adage “The man with one watch knows what time it is. The man with two is never sure”, is it any better with atomic clocks?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My watch used to pick up a signal from either Rugby or Frankfurt.

Edit: Seems that it's not Rugby any more and they moved it to Anthorn which I've never heard of before and haven't a clue where it might be.
    wikipedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Thanks - looked-up 'Anthorn' and its just across the sea in Cumbria.

No sign of a 'French' transmitter though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trucksavage

wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock' This link is useful

Advertisement