Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyban.

Options
  • 01-12-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I want to relay to you all an experience I had with Zyban, it came up in conversation 2 days ago with a friend who also took it and as I'm a regular poster on boards (horse racing) I decided to see what was ever said about on here. Rather than digging up a thread by the same name from 2005 i've decided to start a new one just for the purpose. Forgive me if you deal with the matter in other threads. If one person can be warned off the stuff from this post then it'll be worth it.

This was about 5/6 years ago I'd say, could've been 7, 8 or 9 but don't care to remember.
    I decided to start taking zyban and got a prescription from my gp. Rule was: take the tablets and smoke for a week then stop smoking and continue taking the tablets for another 4 weeks or so.
    For a week I happily smoked away safe in the knowledge that I'd be giving up soon. The day I stopped smoking was to be a friday and stop that day I did. I remember that night I went out and got drunk (must have been quite a while ago as it's years since I did that) and it was most amazing in that I didn't have a single want or craving for a smoke. Amazing stuff in that department.

I was out the following saturday week, met a girl and went back to her place. Woke up sunday morning with a rash between my legs going down each leg and pegged it over to the doctor citing sex disease (had to get her out of her home to see me, but it looked that bad). She said there was no way it was an std and sent me home to see how it developed. She told me to stop taking zyban.

3 hours later and the rash appears on my hands, arms, shins. I'm rushed into hospital as they are forming blisters by now. Doctors in uchg told me not zyban as I had been on it 2 weeks at this stage and if I had a reaction it would have happened a lot sooner. They sent me home with anti-histimines and steroids. 2 hours after that I'm rushed in again, they think it could be scarlet fever or something exotic. Sent home again! By this stage the blisters were coming together and forming larger blisters, it was scary.

The following 24 hours at home I developed into what can only be described as a "human blister", think the size of running from the fingertips to your neck and all over your body. My blood pressure dropped so low that the gp told my mother I mightned make it, she was frantically ringing family all over europe to warn them they might have to come home for a funeral. I was in no pain, just sleepy all the time and not having a body clock to regulate day or night.
    I was on steroids which the docs in the hospital gave me and the gp threw a freaker at as they only worsened me she thinks.

I recovered, just. I do remember being in casualty and speaking to a woman who's daughter lost years of her memory because of zyban, and my friend the other day said she can't explain what happened to her on her but she was mentally unstable.

For your own good, don't take zyban. Don't risk it, the stories that have come out about the effects of the drug are numerous and horrendous. We are not talking a line of coke here, we're talking pure poison and very high risk.
    I don't know if it is still available, it shouldn't be, that's for sure.

zyban 6 votes

I have heard the stories and would take zyban
    0% 0 votes
    I have heard the stories and wouldn't take zyban
    16% 1 vote
    I knew nothing and after this thread would take zyban
    66% 4 votes
    I knew nothing and after this thread would NOT take zyban
    0% 0 votes
    If the doctor prescribes I would take.
    16% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭rynners

PS. To my shame I am now a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

That's the name of it.

I was trying to think of that crap.

Took it years ago too and all it did was make me queasy.

A friend took it and he felt suicidal.

Terry wrote: »
    That's the name of it.

not surprised.. it is bad bad stuff.

I want to start a poll on this and hope everyone will take the time to vote..

Terry wrote: »
    That's the name of it.

http://drugsaz.about.com/od/drugs/zyban.htm

note: doctor needs to know if you have any suicidal thoughts. wow..
    click on the side effects tab as well.....

• Advertisement

I'm happy now. Someone is never going to take zyban because of this thread. (whether you would or wouldn't have gone that route is another matter)..

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭mixer101

I gave up about six years ago, used Zyban and patches. Never knew anything about Zyban being dodgy though, I didn't have any adverse side effects....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I took this stuff once too.

Caused insomnia and didn't work !

Would not recommend.

Advertisement