Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Window Boards

• 01-12-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi,

We are just about to start slabbing and are wondering about the window boards.

We are putting in solid oak window boards and the guy supplying them has said we are better off putting them in after we plaster as it helps prevent them from warping.

The carpenter wants to put them in now and says if we seal them and cover thme they will fine - he also reckons it will be more work to put them in afterwards.

What is the best option and if we put them in afterwards what do i need to get the plaster to do? does he just plaster where the window boards would be and then cut the boards to size or would i get him to put an angle bead where the boards should fit and then slide the window boards in under the angle bead once plaster has dried?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I was afraid of the plaster staining the ends of the oak even when they were sealed. I put them in after the greycoat was done, but before the skim coat.

Once the greycoat was dry I cut away the required height with an angle grinder and cold chisel and slotted the board in. It was a little more work, but worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭pete6296

My advice is afterwards, i paid alot of money on oak window boards and they all warped after plastering. Very disappointed and would change the way we did it if i could do it again.
    Pete
    Jorus wrote: »
    Hi,

We are just about to start slabbing and are wondering about the window boards.

We are putting in solid oak window boards and the guy supplying them has said we are better off putting them in after we plaster as it helps prevent them from warping.

The carpenter wants to put them in now and says if we seal them and cover thme they will fine - he also reckons it will be more work to put them in afterwards.

What is the best option and if we put them in afterwards what do i need to get the plaster to do? does he just plaster where the window boards would be and then cut the boards to size or would i get him to put an angle bead where the boards should fit and then slide the window boards in under the angle bead once plaster has dried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Jorus
    I installed my window boards before plastering after cement coat and before skimming. I gave them 3 coats of sealer all around back front sides, then covered them with polythene. I did not have a problem.
    It is hard to patch up properly when left out, after plastering is done. The idea of sealer all round is to keep the timber from warping, because if you do front leave the back you have a moisture difference on both sides of the board that will cause the boards to warp.

My experience
    Heatherview

Advertisement