Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Velvet Revolver seek Irish frontman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

never heard of the guy,best of luck to him if he gets the job. tbh they're probably best avoiding egocentric frontmen(not sure if there's a frontman who's not tbh),an unknown takes some of the hype and pressure off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

It won't matter. They'll still be playing second fiddle to GNR after all the publicity they got this month alone! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Heard about this yesterday. Good luck to him, I think they're a mediocre band, musically, but fair play to the guy if he gets the gig.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    It won't matter. They'll still be playing second fiddle to GNR after all the publicity they got this month alone! :D

what publicity? thats been g n' rs problem,probably the most under-hyped major album release i can ever remember. it'll kill the sales of the album in it's second and third week with no word from the band or axl.

anyways,VR will feel they've a point to prove as libertad was pretty poor fare,back to basics methinks.

lord lucan wrote: »
    what publicity? thats been g n' rs problem,probably the most under-hyped major album release i can ever remember. it'll kill the sales of the album in it's second and third week with no word from the band or axl.

Are you kidding me, the amount of start and stop release dates they've had in the last 2-3 years? Believe me, they got attention when they released November 23rd as the original release date and streamed the proper version of Chinese Democracy. It opened peoples eyes because people had heard about it, and nobody had believed it. Since then, the words Chinese Democracy was on a lot of peoples lips.

It was the same when they announced the gig in 2006.
    Axl makes a loud noise, people then listen.
    anyways,VR will feel they've a point to prove as libertad was pretty poor fare,back to basics methinks.

Now this i do agree with. But if they try and do a Use Your Illusion III without Axl, it will sink faster than the titanic.

• Advertisement

Are you kidding me, the amount of start and stop release dates they've had in the last 2-3 years? Believe me, they got attention when they released November 23rd as the original release date and streamed the proper version of Chinese Democracy. It opened peoples eyes because people had heard about it, and nobody had believed it. Since then, the words Chinese Democracy was on a lot of peoples lips.

To the interested g n' r/rock fan yeah we've all known about this release for years but for the casual rock fan who doesn't spend much time online there's been little buzz about it. A few tv spots and in store displays aren't gonna cut it. A deluge of interviews with axl(the public face of g n' r to most people) with a few controversial comments would've done wonders in the PR department and gotten a lot more buzz. the tabloids love that sort of thing.

there's actually an artical in todays sun about axls disappearance and how it's cost them record sales in the crucial first week and you'll love this,it ends with talk of an original G N' R reunion:D:D

i'll try and find a link to that if i can.

Edit:here we go:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1993450.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Ehh...what publicity?

I know plenty of big gnr fans who have no idea the album came out. The promotion was pathetic compared to velvet revolver. When VR released both their albums at least one of their members or the whole band were on the front of every single rock and guitar magazine at least once. They had videos released (Slither got reasonable airplay) - the members did a "VH-1 GNR Behind The Music special (basically a VR publicity stunt) at just the right time. There were interviews all over the internet.

Of all the guys who are credited on Chinese Democracy. Axl hasn't been seen since... I can't remember when - I think he commented when Dr.Pepper first used the album as promotion back in February. In public i don't know if he has been seen this year. Chris Pitman is doing interviews to support his own band's album but refuses to talk about GnR. Brain, Huge, Freese, Finck and Buckethead haven't talked about the band since leaving. No word from Stinson, Dizzy, Ferrer or Fortus. Bumblefoot does some small interviews that only the hardcore fan base would hear.and reveals very little of interest. These guys are under strict confidentiality agreements - everyone expected that to change once the album was released but that hasn't happened. Just to show the difference between VR and GnR, Slash, who has nothing to promote right now, has talked more about the release of Chinese Democracy and what he thinks of it in recent times than the guys who made the album combined! Matt Sorum, too. Kinda ironic.

You might argue that the media is generating loads of publicity in spite of this, but the only mainstream promotion the album has recieved is mixed reviews in most magazines. Very little talk of it in Ireland, anyway.

The first album of new material under the name of one of the most legendary rock bands ever in 17 years and nobody cares!

Shame really, coz its actually quite decent.

The only thing I can think of is that Axl wants the music to speak for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Or he's in a huff because perhaps they released it before he wanted to release it? ;)

To the interested g n' r/rock fan yeah we've all known about this release for years but for the casual rock fan who doesn't spend much time online there's been little buzz about it. A few tv spots and in store displays aren't gonna cut it. A deluge of interviews with axl(the public face of g n' r to most people) with a few controversial comments would've done wonders in the PR department and gotten a lot more buzz. the tabloids love that sort of thing.

there's actually an artical in todays sun about axls disappearance and how it's cost them record sales in the crucial first week and you'll love this,it ends with talk of an original G N' R reunion:D:D

i'll try and find a link to that if i can.

Edit:here we go:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1993450.ece

Cheers for the link.

I laughed at that article anyway, although it does bring up some very valid points. However comparing the sales to Appetite was just silly given how the music industry has changed so much back then. Rock was a lot more mainstream in the mid to late 80s as it is now.

I still think Chinese Democracy is doing a hell of a lot better than Libertad did!

Yep, but Libertad was a pile a' dong so that wouldn't be hard.:p

• Advertisement

Yep, but Libertad was a pile a' dong so wouldn't be hard.:p

That's partially my point. I genuinely believe Contraband was a fluke. Doesn't matter who they get in to replace Weiland, the chances are they're gonna produce another "pile a' dong", because in music, like anything really, ya can't make chicken salad from chicken sh*t! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

However comparing the sales to Appetite was just silly given how the music industry has changed so much back then. Rock was a lot more mainstream in the mid to late 80s as it is now.

Em, sorry but the last time I read the sun the killers are refered to as "rockers" and a rock band.

So GnR was beaten to number1 by a rock band, even though Rock is not as mainstream?? Rock is back in the mainstream, the caveat is too bad its full of ****ty half arsed bands, and getting credibility from Albums released by bands that were the real deal, but now are just a name, or a trademark.
    I still think Chinese Democracy is doing a hell of a lot better than Libertad did!

too ****ing right it is, but im sure axl is aiming higher that that pile of ****e.

Who gives a **** about number 1s, charts have changed big time since the 80s, bob the ****ing builder and cliff richard get number 1s, GnR and VR are a different league to those spoofers.

but back on topic,

Million dollar reload are class, but IMO itd be a poor move to go to VR, they are ****e, million dollar reload are fresher and much better.

Does anybody else think its gas the a Irish(well northern irish) man is linked to a high profile hard rock band?? I mean considering than hard rock is possibly the most neglected of music genres in ireland??

That's partially my point. I genuinely believe Contraband was a fluke. Doesn't matter who they get in to replace Weiland, the chances are they're gonna produce another "pile a' dong", because in music, like anything really, ya can't make chicken salad from chicken sh*t! :)

Yeah I knew thats what you meant. I actually liked Contraband though - I genuinely believe the sales of Contraband were as much to do with the quality of singles like Slither as anything else. It was one of the best rock songs of this decade in my opinion. Some really good songs on that disc.

I think people were wrong to blame Weiland for Liberted - the music was poor throughout - I actually think he did a good job with the vocals considering the uninspiring music he was singing over. And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of STP.

I'm not sure what you meant by the last sentence - Slash and Duff are two talented ****ers - I can't really explain why Libertad was so bad. They are capable of coming back with a strong album - maybe playing with someone with a classic rock style voice could inspire them to make a great album. Also looking forward to Slash's solo album, especially his duet with Ozzy.

Having said that, I can't see a new VR album with an unknown generating much interest unless its really, really good.

i don't think contraband was a fluke,it was a bunch of talented musicians coming together and making a killer album. as the old cliche goes the second albums always the hardest and libertad was ****e. they know it themselves,they toured it but played mainly contraband stuff at their shows and you could see the different reactions from the crowd to the songs off each album.

i reckon they'll give it one more shot with VR and if doesn't work out they'll go back to their solo stuff.

at least we won't be waiting 14 years for the next VR album;)

i reckon they'll give it one more shot with VR and if doesn't work out they'll go back to their solo stuff.

Hoping for it! Duff and Slash's Snakepit actually produced good albums!

We could very will be if all the egomaniacs involved fall out with their respective bands in 14 years time, then they can join the over 60 and over the hill club and do a reform! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

kona wrote: »
    Em, sorry but the last time I read the sun the killers are refered to as "rockers" and a rock band.

I think he was wrong claiming rock is less mainstream now, but certainly no albums have sold as much[by any artist/band in any genre] recently as they prop would have in the 70s/80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I think he was wrong claiming rock is less mainstream now, but certainly no albums have sold as much[by any artist/band in any genre] recently as they prop would have in the 70s/80s.

I'd put that more down to the advent of the Internet and illegal downloads which are not taken into account with charts.

Besides in the 80s rock music was of a much higher standard, most of my CDs are 80s albums.

Also rock bands in the 80s as mainstream as some were still struggled with getting number 1s. If they were that mainstream all the 80s music shows would be dominated by rock and metal. They are infact dominated by michael Jackson, madonna etc etc.

As is widley quoted, rock is never in but it is never out.

Most of my mates like some hardrock, they don't spend the measly 8.99 on appetite, they just download it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

http://www.myspace.com/milliondollarreload

He actually sounds alright :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

i don't think contraband was a fluke,it was a bunch of talented musicians coming together and making a killer album. as the old cliche goes the second albums always the hardest and libertad was ****e. they know it themselves,they toured it but played mainly contraband stuff at their shows and you could see the different reactions from the crowd to the songs off each album.

i don't see VR getting back together any time soon even though there in the hunt for a new singer, they got released from their label, so they won't be spending big amounts on the production of the new album, Duff is planning to release a new album with Loaded, then tour!!!!!, slash is too busy with his solo album! Dave Kushner has dissappeared, i wouldn't put a reunion off at all, Axl is missing, he has to be missing for a reason!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Ah, I really liked Libertad actually. Granted, they're one of my fave bands so I'm a lil biased. :P I'm gona miss Scott tbh.. :(

Looking forward to seeing where they're gona go from here though!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Damn Million Dollar Reload sound great!

Advertisement