Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N96 BBC iPlayer

• 01-12-2008 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Is it possible to get the BBCs iPlayer working on an N96 over here? Is it just a case of getting a UK ip address to download the programs or is it more difficult?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

BBC says "YES"

Also here

Though on the iPlayer site it says that they only support the iPlayer for the moment.

If you do have a UK address though you can download them on a pc and transfer as mobile format to the N96.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

You cannot view these programmes or download them outside the UK. Your ISP or your broadband-enabled SIM will reveal your IP address as "originating from Ireland" and therefore you will only be permitted to listen to the radio programmes that are archived.

You can try a proxy, but try as I might, I have been unable to access iPlayer via any of these.

culabula wrote: »
    You cannot view these programmes or download them outside the UK. Your ISP or your broadband-enabled SIM will reveal your IP address as "originating from Ireland" and therefore you will only be permitted to listen to the radio programmes that are archived.

You can try a proxy, but try as I might, I have been unable to access iPlayer via any of these.

That wasn't really his questions though. providing that he has a working UK proxy then he still won't be able to use his N96 until the BBC release a version for Nokia.

I'm interested in the SIM part though. Even with a UK proxy could it still be blocked I wonder?

Ponster wrote: »
    That wasn't really his questions though. providing that he has a working UK proxy then he still won't be able to use his N96 until the BBC release a version for Nokia.

I'm interested in the SIM part though. Even with a UK proxy could it still be blocked I wonder?

It was his question: "Is it possible to get the BBCs iPlayer working on an N96 over here?"

The selling point of said N96 in the UK *IS* that you can catch up on missed TV programmes via iPlayer.

His question, given that iPlayer is supported on the N96, is, can he get to work over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

You said you tried proxys - did you do this on the N96?

I've gotten the iPlayer browser based player working before using proxies but don't know if the N96 let's you specify your own IP?

If only 4oD would release an N96 app, then we would have a real winner on our hands.

• Advertisement

You said you tried proxys - did you do this on the N96?

I've gotten the iPlayer browser based player working before using proxies but don't know if the N96 let's you specify your own IP?

If only 4oD would release an N96 app, then we would have a real winner on our hands.

Sorry, that wasn't clear: I meant I have been unable to get iPlayer to work via a proxy on my Mac where I can use the same proxy to access, say, tvcatchup.

I do not own an N96 but I do know that DVB-H is a white elephant on it as it simply isn't available in this country or in our neighbour's. Consequently, the main British networks are boasting instore of the ability to watch iPlayer-archived programmes on it (as are CPW in the UK), presumably as a near-'next-best-thing' since DVB-H isn't available.

I think wifi is required or recommended.

Here you can see what devices support the iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/where_to_get_iplayer/

Note that the PS3 was added today.

(Incidentally Joost is now available for the iPhone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have used Vtunnel to access BBC iplayer on my laptop.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I guess you don't really have an full answer OP but IMHO as long as you have a UK proxy then it should work fine. I can't imagine there being any other kind of a check to prevent you from downloading content.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

Is it possible to get the BBCs iPlayer working on an N96 over here? Is it just a case of getting a UK ip address to download the programs or is it more difficult?

Has anyone tried a 3uk SIM, they work in Ireland and you can add a 3 gig data package for 15 UK pounds per month. Pay as you go sims with no credit are 2 pounds each and can be bought in phone store int he north. I used one during the summer because I was driving in the UK and I wanted traffic updates on my tomtom. But after I got back I used it in my phone as internet. Put again, your IP while in Ireland will be Irish, but maybe worth a try by someone.

• Advertisement

demon3 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried a 3uk SIM, they work in Ireland and you can add a 3 gig data package for 15 UK pounds per month. Pay as you go sims with no credit are 2 pounds each and can be bought in phone store int he north. I used one during the summer because I was driving in the UK and I wanted traffic updates on my tomtom. But after I got back I used it in my phone as internet. Put again, your IP while in Ireland will be Irish, but maybe worth a try by someone.

Unfortunately doesn't work, nor does my 3 IRL SIM work for RTÉ online while in Belfast.

Which begs the question......why doesn't my 3 IRL SIM then work in the north for British services such as iPlayer and tvcatchup? Is it just that 3 UK and 3 IRL manage to fúck everything up?

Advertisement