Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup 2008

Options
  • 01-12-2008 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Didn't think this would get much mileage in the soccer forum so I stuck it here (mods move it if you want).

The Homeless World Cup is on in Melbourne at the minute. Most games take place in Fed Square. I noticed there's a large stand erected there too.

Ireland play Hong Kong this morning.
    We beat USA 11-2 yesterday! Come on!
    Think I take a trip down at the weekend and see whats happening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Didn't think this would get much mileage in the soccer forum so I stuck it here (mods move it if you want).

The Homeless World Cup is on in Melbourne at the minute. Most games take place in Fed Square. I noticed there's a large stand erected there too.

Ireland play Hong Kong this morning.
    Think I take a trip down at the weekend and see whats happening.
    Fai probably didnt mind sending them there cause they wouldnt have to pay for any accomodation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

:eek:

Are the actual squads from each country playing or the 'B' teams because you sure as hell don't get many scores like that at a professional level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

It's 5-a-side I think. Frequently get scores like that in 5-a-side.

Maybe the USA keeper went for a snooze in the goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Maybe the USA keeper went for a snooze in the goal!

Or maybe he was too busy going among the crowd looking for "ten pence for a cuppa tea..."

That would make sense.

Altho' I can't take the USA seriously when it comes to use of a soccer ball whether it be a friendly 5-a-side or on a big international game.

• Advertisement

The USA international team is quite good, ranked a lot higher than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Did we not win this before or somethin?

No, don't think so.

Ahhh I knew we won something -

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1318

Seems like a mini version of the World Cup

The USA international team is quite good, ranked a lot higher than Ireland.
    The last time I saw Ireland play well with a soccer ball was in 1994.

:D

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ahhh I knew we won something -

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1318

Seems like a mini version of the World Cup

Yeah I think it's basically a shield.

Ireland 8 - 2 Hong Kong

Another win, top of our group! Go on the lads!

Another win, top of our group! Go on the lads!
    Cool! I know its not exactly a serious tournament but I would still like to watch it on TV.

The big one is on today, 13:00 in Fed square....

Ireland v England!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

The big one is on today, 13:00 in Fed square....

Ireland v England!

Let us know how it goes.

Hopefully they'll be no seats ripped up this time!

We lost 8-4 unfortunately. Lost to the Ukraine early this morning also.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Was down for the Ireland v England game yesterday and then managed to sneak out of work to watch the Ireland v Italy game in the afternoon. It was a great game against Italy, 2-0 down then 3-2 up, then had a man sent off and went 5-3 down before coming back to draw 5-5 in the last 20 seconds before winning it on penalties! It was great to see all the Irish support in the crowd for the lads, I'd say they outnumbered the Italians ten to one.
    They're playing Zimbabwe at 4 this afternoon and then the Dutch at 5.40 so I reckon I'll pop along to both of those games.

Don't suppose you have a camera to take a snap or two? Wouldn't mind seeing what the setup is like.

Only have my phone with me today, which has a basic enough camera on it. I'll see what I can grab on that, and will probably be in again over the weekend anyway - the other half is going shopping, which I want no part of - so I'll bring a proper camera and get a few pics then.

Just back in from the game now, Ireland won 11-7, and there was another good crowd supporting the lads there again, buoyed on by the fact that Scotland were playing directly after us, so we got all their support too.
    Only managed to grab a couple of pics of the setup in Fed Square on my phone but have them uploaded for anyone interested:

3083385693_2a04ac99b2_o.jpg
    and
    3084222624_f2f347b9cc_o.jpg

A good win by the lads, now bring on the Dutch at 17.40!

• Advertisement

They're quality pics. Looks a good little set up. I'd love a game on that pitch!

Yeah, that's what I think everytime I'm down there, I'd love a runout on the pitch, it's a great setup alright.

Just a quick follow up note to say that the Irish lads won the final of the Dignitary Cup on Sunday afternoon! They missed out on qualifying for the World Cup knockout stage as they finished third in their group, but progressed to the knockout stage of the Dignitary Cup.
    They beat Poland in the quarter final 7-3, and then beat Germany 8-5 in the semi final, before beating the Nigerians 7-3 in the final.
    There was a great crowd down at Fed Square on the Sunday for the game, and it was fantastic to see the lads win, well done to them!

Advertisement