Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions about tattoos !

Options
  • 01-12-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭

Hey all, first time poster in the forum !

I've been thinking about getting my first tattoo and eventually working it into a sleeve, I have the general theme of it in my head but no designs set in stone as of yet (As i'm pants with drawing :D). What i'm wondering is, what colors are realistically possible in a tattoo ? And what kind of detail would some of the artists in Dublin be able to pull off ? What would determine the price of a tattoo ? Would ye recommend finding a tattooist that'd be 'into' the design rather than someone who'd be just doing it for the money if ya get me ? As I said before, its my first tattoo so i'm new to all of this !

Any help appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I've pink yellow and blue in my tattoo, its no sleeve in fact it much smaller but i luv the colour eventho I wasnt sure about it at first.:)

I think the best thing to do for prices and detail would be to drop into a few places, ask for prices, and to see work they've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Would you know any places worthy of a look in Dublin city center ? Or not too far from it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Would you know any places worthy of a look in Dublin city center ? Or not too far from it ?

No i didnt get mine done in Ireland so I cant help you there, but there are plenty here who will. It's early days yet, you'll get loads of replies with advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Hey all, first time poster in the forum !

I've been thinking about getting my first tattoo and eventually working it into a sleeve, I have the general theme of it in my head but no designs set in stone as of yet (As i'm pants with drawing :D). What i'm wondering is, what colors are realistically possible in a tattoo ? And what kind of detail would some of the artists in Dublin be able to pull off ? What would determine the price of a tattoo ? Would ye recommend finding a tattooist that'd be 'into' the design rather than someone who'd be just doing it for the money if ya get me ? As I said before, its my first tattoo so i'm new to all of this !

Any help appreciated !

Looking at my own I can honestly tell you:

A whole load of shades of blue,
    Red,
    Pink,
    Orange,
    Grey,
    Black,
    Yellow,

So pretty much anything really.

On the subject of where to get work done, when I first got into all this I took peoples advice on here (and yes it was very good), but to be honest I don't think Ireland is the best place for this stuff by any means.

If you're thinking about getting a sleeve, that's a big job and I'd really consider broadening your search to other countries.

Now don't get me wrong, some of the artists over here are really great, but still... might be something you want to think about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Pyr0 - it all depends on the style of tattoo you want. Some studios are way better than others. e.g italians in art tattoo are great with tribal and black work, colourworks as the name suggests are good with bright vibrant work suited to new school stuff. Pawel in snakebite is quite good at dark imagery.

To echo captain ginger, if it's a big piece and you want a top class bit maybe look at it as an investment? might be worth the travel and cash to get a work of art on you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

As has already been pointed out, depending on what you're looking for, you may very much want to consider a trip abroad, England has some top class artists IMO.

In addition to Will and Captain Gingers suggestions for tattoo artists, there is also Jani who is up in Snakebite at the moment (not sure for how long though), he's great for colour stuff, and as was mentioned Darren from Colourworks has a nice looking portfolio.

Maybe a good idea would be to see what conventions are coming up in the near future and take a look at the artists attending and see if you think any of them would be worth the trip over. There's Manchester in March which should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Jani isnt working in snakebite no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Thanks for the replies ! Going abroad was something that crossed my mind, heading to Germany for Wacken during the summer so i'll have a look while i'm over there. The theme of the sleeve would be dark so I'll head into yer man Pawel and have a gander at his work.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for any conventions during the year, do they have them in Ireland at any point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

The Dublin Tattoo convention was on a few weeks ago. I'm sure theres one in Midelton in Cork during the summer too.

http://www.dublintattooconvention.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/midletontattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

• Advertisement
Advertisement