Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Galway car mechanic needed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kashmeer

Hey there.

So I have an Audi that likes to be the centre of attention and seems to particularly like mechanics.

Another part of the story is that I am a female. A female + car + mechanic = instant rip off.
    Them greedy dirt-handed men just see me as an opportunity to take my money.

So now I am seriously trying to find a GOOD, TRUSTWORTHY mechanic, preferably someone you guys know personally?

I tried TORA - In my opinion the best place, but their recent mention about my timing belt (1 year old and apparently to be changed again?!) put me off.

I know of the guys in Lisoban, Autotek I think, but they seem like complete "know it alls" and are too sleazy.

Guys from Bosch/Renmore Motors- they are ok, talk too much, charge ok, but too sleazy so I had to go somewhere else in the end.

Sasha Motors - heard very bad opinions, was almost ripped off myself- he desperately wanted to "check" my car for only 30 quid... Dude, for looking at the belt??!

So now I don't know where else to go. I guess Tora was very very very good to me and my Audi for the last year, but I am not sure whether to fall for the explanation I got. The guy stood there with me and y boyfriend to show what exactly was wrong, but the problem is... I didn't hear the noise he was on about, leading me into believing he may have been lying.

Please, could anyone recommend a good lad in Galway to fix my Audi?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What kind of Audi is it and how old?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What kind of Audi is it and how old?

And what is actually wrong with it?

May 2003 Audi A3 8P1 1.6 petrol, bought last April, 120k miles on it

Nothing major wrong with it right now, however one mechanic says the water pump is whining and the belt is too tight, other said the belt is worn and too loose. So I guess I want a third opinion and essentially the timing belt kit fitting.

On top of that I have some drop links and bushings to change before NCT, so I would rather stick to one mechanic if I know they don't rip me off.

I forgot to mention, Audi dealer is good, but their comp didn't detect half as many faults as Tora garage did, so I don't know if I can trust them either. AND they are EXPENSIVE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

So for some reason your car needs the timing belt changed despite the existing belt only being a year old?

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense tbh. Which garage did the timing belt replacement a year ago? Did they change the water pump at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Brendan Dowling, Shantalla,

The car was serviced in Dublin.. friend of my neighbour, apparently a good lad.... ?!

The water pump was done also, not sure about the tensioner though.
    But yes, the belt does look a bit worn, I did see it (went to Advance Pitstop in the meantime, where a lad took the cover off and showed me all).

I don't understand why would I need it done again, I only did 11k miles since the last change....

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Larry walsh out at barna woods

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

What part of Galway, my mechanic near Lydons of Knockdoe is a great guy to deal with and very fast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I used the place beside the nct centre last year,Galway service centre I think it's called. Thought they were very professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

As said, try Brendan Dowling mentioned above.
    He can be a pain to get hold of but is what you're looking for.

Else have a read of this thread, many suggestions there

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Try out Galway Car Service Centre - right opposite the NCT centre in Doughiska. Been there twice so far and they're great. Good prices and service.

@ SpecialCircumstances: are you saying you did the belt twice in the end? Was it done in Galway? I will probably have to do mine, but as I say, not sure if I should use the current guys, who are NOT sleazy in the slightest. Just worrying me that there seems to be an issue which I do not see/hear. Hard to say, I don't think they'd lie.

@ Craftylee: I did go there, but on Saturday..., when they were closed! I definitely will try them again this week, but I work Mon to Fri and it is sometimes an issue for me to go during the week. Ideally I need someone open on weekends or closer to the centre!

@orm0nd: hey, Brendan sounds good. I cannot think of where he is though, given that I lived in Shantalla previously, I should know... Might see if he could see me.

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Still not sure what to do about the belt. What's more, the lad from Sasha told me there are oil leaks and to be honest, there is quite a lot of oil there under the engine cover. Guess I just need a solid mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Ah yeah - give them a call and see if they can leave the car outside for you afterwards, they kindly let me do it. I just give them the spare, then pick it up in the evening with the main key, then pay the next day and get my key back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Kashmeer wrote: »
    @ SpecialCircumstances: are you saying you did the belt twice in the end? Was it done in Galway?
    Done twice within a year, yes.
    Was the second job absolutely necessary? Dunno.
    Did they do a full job or just adjust the tensioner? Dunno.
    It would seem to me to boil down to Garage A being incompetent, or Garage B being unscrupulous.
    Not done in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

@ SpecialCircumstances: are you saying you did the belt twice in the end? Was it done in Galway? I will probably have to do mine, but as I say, not sure if I should use the current guys, who are NOT sleazy in the slightest. Just worrying me that there seems to be an issue which I do not see/hear. Hard to say, I don't think they'd lie.

@ Craftylee: I did go there, but on Saturday..., when they were closed! I definitely will try them again this week, but I work Mon to Fri and it is sometimes an issue for me to go during the week. Ideally I need someone open on weekends or closer to the centre!

@orm0nd: hey, Brendan sounds good. I cannot think of where he is though, given that I lived in Shantalla previously, I should know... Might see if he could see me.

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Still not sure what to do about the belt. What's more, the lad from Sasha told me there are oil leaks and to be honest, there is quite a lot of oil there under the engine cover. Guess I just need a solid mechanic.
    Couple of years ago I had a 02 A6 that I wanted some decent work done on it.
    Had same issue as you, not knowing who I could bring it to.
    In the end, I brought it to Audi in Parkmore. I wanted a full diagnostic of all that was going on with the car so was prepared to be hit in the pocket a bit more than if I went indi.
    Somehow my car managed to fit under the Audi Cover, no idea how, I didn't question it but was thankful for it. This basically meant that I got a discount on parts that I needed. In the end, the cost of the main garage should have been excessive compared to any indi. It wasn't, it worked out the same except I had a Audi Garage stamp on my service book. This was the main reason I was able to sell it for what I did.

Its worth a phone call anyway, Audi Galway, ask for Patrick(a pure gent) in Servicing.

I'd recommend anyone with an Audi to give him a call just to get a test on pricing at the very least.
    My 2 cents...

Good point, start with a call to Audi and try to get a quote from them.
    You can then compare this quote to indy mechanics and decide what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Please, could anyone recommend a good lad in Galway to fix my Audi?

Gareth in RescuU about 2 miles out the Headford Road. Always found them excellent to deal with and very fair price wise. Highly receommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

know a lad who is 100 % but he is about 25 mins from the city

@ Craftylee: awesome idea mate, but I only have one key!! Won't work, ha!
    But I think I might go to them to get the belt looked at first. Then decide where to go with fitting the kit....

@ bidiots: I dealt with Patrick 3 times already, Audi fitted my accelerator pedal. €130 for a part, which would have been the same on ebay (maybe 10-15 less, but postage from UK was making up for it...) but the fitting was €60. Bit much, considering the job was not difficult - most petrolheads would do it themselves, apparently 10 minutes of work. But I wanted to be safe than sorry.

Another thing- Audi diagnostics hasn't picked up on half of the faults the other garage did. I paid €70 in Audi and €40 elsewhere. Turned out the car stopped playing up in the end, but the fault of it acting weird is not known till today and I have lost €110 on it!! :O

I could go to Audi, they did advise me to change bushings and bearings and I did want to keep going to them as I think it is much better to get it done at the dealer. However, I think their belt kit is €350 and elsewhere €250. €100 is a lot. And I wonder would they just take a look at it, for free?

@ marklazarcovic: which direction out from the city? I go to Moycullen/Oughterard every now and then, so could try him. Like my father, I like mechanics who let you look at what they're doing. At least then you are sure you're not being fooled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

near abbeyknockmoy,he's more of a fixer then a diagnostician ,but he's honest and good,does jeeps and cars

sirenbb wrote: »
    Could you send me that number please

Could I please get Brendan's number..
    Trying to find a place to replace my timing belt, water pump and the tensioner, but I am getting €160 for labour.
    My father got his Honda sorted for €110 in Sligo (labour only).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Hi guys, I think I need to get the flywheel done on my Ford Focus (late 2008 updated model), and want to ring a couple of mechanics to get some quotes so if anyone has any suggestions for mechanics anywhere around the city or Oranmore it would be greatly appreciated.

AKAT Pitstop and Fahy's Garage, both good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

biko wrote: »
    AKAT Pitstop and Fahy's Garage, both good.

Thanks for the suggestion biko, AKAT is now known as Donnellan Auto Service garage it's where I've gone a couple of times and will be contacting but I figured that it's no harm to get a few other options given that it's a big enough job.
    Where is Fahy's? This is all I could find on it but the location doesn't really look right

It's across from Byrne's Tyres in the village itself.
    More info http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60294099

Right, just a wee update, went to the Kilduff's at Nun's Island and cannot praise them lads enough! Sound lads, don't rip off and do their job well :) I found myself a trusted mechanic!!! I would highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Well, sorry to disappoint you but if you were a woman, you would be treated this way. This is how it works. I had a great mechanic but seriously, things were getting VERY uncomfortable- despite the guy knowing I had a serious boyfriend.
    So forgive me being annoyed, but that's how I see it now.
    I guarantee you they would not have the same attitude to a middle aged man.

Nah, same for Men. I just did a bit of research before hand.

How many times i've gone in and been told my Brake Discs are going to get me killed.

I guess you still have not gotten them replaced? I thought it was just men vs women there, the perception that blonde women will agree to fix everything if they are scared enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Having an issue with my power steering in my 2007 Almera, feels pretty stiff at times and then jerky at other times. Any recommendations or is this one for any mechanic?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement