Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Galway car mechanic needed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

hi there
    just wondered if anyone knows of any deals to get a car serviced and recommendations of places im in the city centre
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

theres a fella in menlo that services cars for E60. He is just out past crestwood on the left hand side as you turn the first bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

theres a fella in menlo that services cars for E60. He is just out past crestwood on the left hand side as you turn the first bend.

Guess it depends whether he's looking for an irish ara sure it will be grand 'service', or an actual real service. I imagine that 60 is just for oil & filter, which falls under the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The most common service is oil/filter, this is always done. Often the air filter is done too and sometimes the spark plugs are changed.

This is something you can do yourself or get a mechanic to do. Ring 4 places in this thread and ask what they charge and what oil they use (you need to know what oil you should have or just tell them what make/year the car is).
    Check coolant level - if it's low top up with pure coolant, not water.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mustang01

be very weary of any garage offering a cheap service, it was ok years back where you could throw chip oil into a car and the engine would stay going but these days engines are so highly tuned and such low tolerences that it is really important that the correct oil etc is used. just for the oil alone in some mainstream cars will cost 50plus euros ! crazy money i know but better that paying few thousand down da road when engine starts giving trouble !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The quality of the oil is vital in engine performance, of course i learned the hard expensive way...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

Car failed the NCT just before xmas, the chassis/underbody is 'extensively corroded'. I need to have the car retested by January 21st - can anyone recommend anyone? Preferably in the Connemara/Galway city area.
    Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

rubywoo wrote: »
    Car failed the NCT just before xmas, the chassis/underbody is 'extensively corroded'. I need to have the car retested by January 21st - can anyone recommend anyone? Preferably in the Connemara/Galway city area.
    Many thanks!

Brendan Dowling on St. Enda's Road in Shantalla did the welding for my Corsa, as it failed the NCT on the same grounds. And it got the retest. Most garages wouldn't touch it, and the price included coming back after the test to have the welds treated with red oxide to stop corrosion on the welds.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

That's great - thanks for the tip!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Hi, can someone recommend a car garage for services, on the east side of the city please, money is tight but still want quality, pm if you like, thanks

• Advertisement

Merged into main mechanic thread. Have a look in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. I have discovered a tyre on my car is flat. I dont have a spare wheel I can use to get the car to a garage.

Is there a place that wont charge a fortune to come out and do the repair. I rang Advance Pitstop and they told me it would cost €50 to get my car brought to the garage (even though I live on the Headford road!) Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Just take off the wheel and bring it in on it's own? Get a cab or something?
    I had a flat last week and brought it out to Kieran Farrell tires in Ballybane and the guy in there repaired the puncture (a screw stuck in the tire) as well as putting the wheel back on for me for 10euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭StonedRaider

check your insurance policy to see if you have free punture repairs. I know Axa do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭tphase

inflate it with a footpump or minicompressor. if the puncture is slow, you'll be able to drive it to the garage

(and get yourself a spare....:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I dont know why I didnt think of that! I rang and its all sorted, thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Anyone recommend someone who is good with Fiats?

My wife's Punto needs a few things done: timing belt, brakes and something up with the steering.

(it is still drivable at the moment!)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Does anyone know if any mechanics around Galway have emission testing equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mustang01

most the garages in galway have emission testing equiptment, also a lot of exhaust centres have it aswell, get golden pages and make a few calls and get prices !

• Registered Users Posts: 42 oddsoxrocks

Hello - Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) mechanic in Galway City / Salthill preferably a private guy or small garage? Basically I need to get the exhaust mig welded on a VW Polo 2005 & some other small jobs done.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

Hi guys,

Just wondering does anyone know of the best deals in and around the city when it comes to car servicing??

Mine's up for an NCT in a few weeks and don't want to be paying over the odds for a service.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

It depends on what you need done but any mechanic can do a service (if you mean the usual oil, filter, plugs) so check with a few close to you and go with whoever seems best.

These guys charge 79 for basic

If you want extra cheap then DIY is the way to go.
    I supervised my girlfriend doing her first car service a while back and it went well so DIY service is easier than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

cheers!!

i'm not quite confident enough to do my own servicing just yet!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dev2

Mobile mechanics seem to do good value servicing! I don't think you can check over a car properly lying under it outside someones house or workplace!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Scraped the side of my car along the pillar of the estate last night avoiding a car conveniently driving in the middle of the road. :(

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get it sorted? It's a small bit dented but mostly scraped.

We live on the west of the city, but I work on the east so either side would be good (and probably preferable to town, but I don't discount town either)

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

N&N Autobody Repairs in Moycullen, 091-xxx Used them in the past, very professional.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That's probably a bit far out for me, but I'll keep them in mind all the same.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Westwide are pretty good. They are in the Ballybane Industrial Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

I used Westwide a few years ago and they were very good. Frank Byrnes in Oranmore is excellent, used him twice in the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

N&N and Frank Byrnes are both excellent. I'd happily recommend either one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement