Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Galway car mechanic needed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Another recommendation here for westside in ballybane industrial estate, professional service and reasonable rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭baldshin

Car failed the NCT on emissions (leaking exhaust), loosely mounted starter motor and airbag bulb not coming on at all, can anyone recommend somewhere that could sort all three for a decent price?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ladhrann wrote: »
    Brendan Dowling on St. Enda's Road in Shantalla
    Is Brendan still working? Phone number on site isn't connecting, I'might swing by later but I have an inkling he's retired now? Website still up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Looking to get my timing belt/water pump and tracking done on the car.
    I haven't had much luck finding a decent garage in Galway,past experiences have left me feeling ripped off.
    Could anyone kindly recommend a decent garage that won't try and chance there arm and give a fair price.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I always recommend James Connolly out beside the Airport.
    Big thread here on mechanics in galway;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54867628

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

I've been using Burbridge motors in Lisobaun for about 10 years. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Farrells in Woodquay are good.. I had my timing belt changed there last year.. No complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

O'Farrells in Knocknacarra across from the Spinnaker are as honest as the day is long. Charge very fairly and don't try to screw ya either.
    Defo would recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

try Brendan Dowling in Shantalla, esp. if it's an older car, he's not mad keen on the newer 'black box' cars

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Merged with the massive mechanics thread.

Btw, I tried ringing Brendan several times a while back but couldn't get through, he still operating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

biko wrote: »
    Btw, I tried ringing Brendan several times a while back but couldn't get through, he still operating?

he took a break from it for a while but he's back in action alright

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Contradirony

Amhran Nua just mentioned Mileage tyres there.
    You can also use Galway Car Service across from the NCT place (mind they never finish the job on time, if they say 30 mins expect 1 hour).

I'd avoid Mileage Tyres - went to them for a pre-NCT test last week and they said I'd fail if I didn't fix something that'd cost €230. I was suspicious and decided to wait until after the NCT to be sure. Turned out I was right - passed my NCT last night, no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I know I should be able to do it myself but I have no idea how and I don't have time to learn by tomorrow. Is there anywhere on the west side of the city that will do it?

Thank you for any help.

I can show you how to do it but tbh you can just watch these videos and see how it's done.
    This is something you can do anywhere - I do it on my car in front of my house every few weeks or so.
    If you can open the bonnet and have some paper napkins, you have all you need to check. There is no learning curve.

If you do need any oil or coolant, we can get to that in step 2 :)

And inspect your lights

Thanks Biko, I'll give it a shot anyway. Me looking under the bonnet of a car will certainly be a novelty for the neighbours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Looking to get heater fixed as takes half an hr to feel some warm air. Not good with the cold weather setting in.
    Preferably in the Tuam area. If not anywhere around Ballybrit

Thanks Biko, I'll give it a shot anyway. Me looking under the bonnet of a car will certainly be a novelty for the neighbours :)
    Give it a shot, or PM and I can pop by tomorrow. I'm out and about anyway.
    Looking to get heater fixed as takes half an hr to feel some warm air. Not good with the cold weather setting in.
    Preferably in the Tuam area. If not anywhere around Ballybrit
    In Ballyban there's Galway Radiator Services, I was told they're good but haven't been there myself.
    Are you sure there's an issue and not just low on coolant? Have you topped up and it kept leaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

In Ballyban there's Galway Radiator Services, I was told they're good but haven't been there myself.
    Are you sure there's an issue and not just low on coolant? Have you topped up and it kept leaking?

Yeah that was the original problem about a year ago when the coolant kept leaking. I had to replace the thermostat housing. It doesn't leak anymore and the coolant is at the correct level. Only getting around to trying to fix the heater issue now with the cold weather coming in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

We go to a guy called Dave Fallon in Craughwell. We have found he is well worth the trip out there, charges very reasonable rates and does a top notch job. I'd say google to get his number. He has a great set-up out there.

Give it a shot, or PM and I can pop by tomorrow. I'm out and about anyway.

Thanks Biko. That has to be one of the most generous things I've encountered on boards. I think I managed to do it ok today thanks to the video... I think! I really appreciated the offer and the help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hey all, I need to get the tracking done on an 05 focus first and foremost, secondary to that is i'd like to get the car serviced before it's NCT in january. Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dev2

Hey maybe get it checked over first before you do the tracking. Just in case it needs anything

Mactard wrote: »
    Hey all, I need to get the tracking done on an 05 focus first and foremost, secondary to that is i'd like to get the car serviced before it's NCT in january. Any thoughts on this?
    Book NCT asap if you haven't yet. Mine was due in January but I got it tested a few days ago, it passed.
    I will now celebrate with a service DIY and a wax sealant for winter :)

Tracking is about 40 or so in various places around town but wait until after NCT in case they fail you on wishbones or bushings in which case you need to get tracking done again after they been fixed. Unless tracking is way off and you need it fixed pronto.

Advanced Pitstop has free pre-NCT you can avail of, just don't get anything fixed until NCT have had their say too (unless it's obvious like broken bulbs and such).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Has anybody a recommendation for a mechanic to fit a clutch kit and flywheel to a Skoda Octavia VRS 1.8T?

I'll be supplying the clutch, so they won't have to.

Try Western Gearbox Centre on Tuam Rd, I was there about something else and they were reasonable then. Ask about bringing own parts, many mechanics aren't too keen on this in case there are issues later. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Try Western Gearbox Centre on Tuam Rd, I was there about something else and they were reasonable then. Ask about bringing own parts, many mechanics aren't too keen on this in case there are issues later. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Never even heard of them. Don't seem to have a website though, but found their number.

Ya I know the exact clutch/flywheel I'll be supplying so that's not an issue, but I know some aren't happy to "fit parts they don't supply themselves".

Yeah, because if something breaks 3 months down the road it's hard to say if it was the labour or the part that wasn't right.
    Shop around, I know some mechanics are happy to fit supplied parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dev2

Just be wary of free pre NCT checks. They're a marketing ploy to get people in!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

right well booked my nct for tomorrow, i'd like to book a place to get the tracking, and maybe more (probably just the tracking) done tomorrow. Advance Pitstop do tracking for €45 but I don't really want to go there, so where would people recommend?

• Advertisement

Francis in Clonboo but that's outside of town. Or ring a few places in the golden pages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement