Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January and the transfer waffle

Options
  • 02-12-2008 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Right, after seeing the last few games, its time to reiterate what we all already know!.......

Goalkeeper: He has his moments, will lose us the odd game with a clanger but i still believe he will improve and will be here for the long haul.

Back Four: Hutton being banjoed is a big blow, bale is out of sorts but Corluka, Woodgate and King(when able) are a damn good defence, ekotto is a liability and would rather see gunther, bale o hara or a deaf, dumb, blind single leg amputee there instead.

Front two or three: Not as potent as last year but should nick enough throughout the season.

Midfield: Softer than soft, we HAVE to get a chomper in the middle of the park, we havent had one in years, has to be number one priority, jenas, zokora and the thudd just dont do it often enough,.

So, who can we get? Realistically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

First i would like to know do we have money to spend or not,everyone thought we had loads of dosh to spend after the summer ins and outs, but recent rumors indicate that this is not the case and we might have to depend on free transfers and Bosmans.does anyone know the truth about this before we discuss who we can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

having watched us in the flesh on sunday i have to reiterate that modric is key to us. with him fit we have creativity, or the potential for it, without him we are relieing on jenas/bently and lennon which doesnt say much. Obviously we need a decent cm to get hold of the ball and give it to modric but we've needed that for years. However more importantly i think we need someone to put the ball in the net and play alongside pav/bent. I think Owen would be quality under harry. A 1m bid should get him...

so, dairra & owen would do me, but i also think a nother centerhalf , maybe nelson off blackburn as cover for that wouldgate injury that is bound to come just at the wrong time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

having watched us in the flesh on sunday i have to reiterate that modric is key to us. with him fit we have creativity, or the potential for it, without him we are relieing on jenas/bently and lennon which doesnt say much. Obviously we need a decent cm to get hold of the ball and give it to modric but we've needed that for years. However more importantly i think we need someone to put the ball in the net and play alongside pav/bent. I think Owen would be quality under harry. A 1m bid should get him...

so, dairra & owen would do me, but i also think a nother centerhalf , maybe nelson off blackburn as cover for that wouldgate injury that is bound to come just at the wrong time .

agree that Owen would be a great signing but his wage demands might be a stumbling block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

I am still going to go with someone I thought we should have bought in the summer - ArseShavin - every time I see him play I am reminded that he is a world class player - plus he does two things for the team, one he plays LM, and two he would be great with Modric and Pav.

Two I think we now need a LB, Bale and BAE are not doing it and on top of not giving us goals are costing us goals in defence - I like the idea of Willy Gallas, no he won't score many, but he's experience, leadership, and above all non faltering determination and leadership are something this team desperately needs right now, and at 4m it would be a steal!

DMF, this is a must have and I would love a Diarra, but I don't think we could match City with the money - so it might end up being someone like Parker, Hargreaves would have been another but he is injured for the rest of the season. Depending on money it could end up being a Bullard or Taylor or even Reo Coker! My wish would be Diarra though.

Strikers, would love Defoe to come back - I think we have an Owen type player already in Bent and Pav, so we need someone with trickery and skill on the ball, like Kean and Berbs. But with the team above I would be happy with no more strikers coming in, so my team in January and keep us up, and hopefully get us into Europe would be.

Gomes
    Corluka--King--Woody---Gallas
    Bentley--Jenas--Diarra---ArseShavin
    Modric

Pav

Bench, Alnwick, Bale, Hudd, Bent, Lennon

Now that is a team with balance - Skill, Experiance, and Danger!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

John W wrote: »
    I am still going to go with someone I thought we should have bought in the summer - ArseShavin - every time I see him play I am reminded that he is a world class player - plus he does two things for the team, one he plays LM, and two he would be great with Modric and Pav.

Two I think we now need a LB, Bale and BAE are not doing it and on top of not giving us goals are costing us goals in defence - I like the idea of Willy Gallas, no he won't score many, but he's experience, leadership, and above all non faltering determination and leadership are something this team desperately needs right now, and at 4m it would be a steal!

DMF, this is a must have and I would love a Diarra, but I don't think we could match City with the money - so it might end up being someone like Parker, Hargreaves would have been another but he is injured for the rest of the season. Depending on money it could end up being a Bullard or Taylor or even Reo Coker! My wish would be Diarra though.

Strikers, would love Defoe to come back - I think we have an Owen type player already in Bent and Pav, so we need someone with trickery and skill on the ball, like Kean and Berbs. But with the team above I would be happy with no more strikers coming in, so my team in January and keep us up, and hopefully get us into Europe would be.

Gomes
    Corluka--King--Woody---Gallas
    Bentley--Jenas--Diarra---ArseShavin
    Modric

Pav

Bench, Alnwick, Bale, Hudd, Bent, Lennon

Now that is a team with balance - Skill, Experiance, and Danger!;)

The way lennon is playing at present , i'd have him in before bentley all day long . Bentley to date is a shadow of the player he was when he was with bburn

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    The way lennon is playing at present , i'd have him in before bentley all day long . Bentley to date is a shadow of the player he was when he was with bburn

Agreed Bentley has shown very little so far cept for that stunner against the goons. Even his much vaunted set piece deliveries havent been anything special.

yiddo wrote: »
    Agreed Bentley has shown very little so far cept for that stunner against the goons. Even his much vaunted set piece deliveries havent been anything special.
    Agreed, but I think with Jenas--Diarra---ArseShavin next to him and a few more games playing RW ONLY you would see a very different Bentley - Plus I still have Lennon on the Bench remember!

John W wrote: »
    Agreed, but I think with Jenas--Diarra---ArseShavin next to him and a few more games playing RW ONLY you would see a very different Bentley - Plus I still have Lennon on the Bench remember!

Other way round for me Lennon to start and Bentley on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd love to see Jimmy Bullard at the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Kold wrote: »

God we could do alot worse, Surely he wouldn't be that much would he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I like him aswell, full of energy and gets a few goals aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

We already have modric , we dont need bullard , we need a kicker in the centre of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

CM - Hopefully Diarra otherwise Bullard would be a good option.

CF - Defoe. The man is just a natural goal scorer.

CB - I'd still go for Dunne. Had a rocky season with Citeh this year but for the last few seasons he's been a rock for them and I don't think a player becomes bad overnight. Harry would sort him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Diarra and Owen would be class. That'd sort our midfield and front line out. In defence, I believe Gomes will come good and I'm happy with the rest, except left back. I'm waiting to see if Dos Santos starts playing to his potential once fit, which would cover the left wing/attacking midfield option whenever Modric is injured, but as mentioned Modric is our key player. Bent isn't half the striker without him in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

the problem i now have with every transfer window is us linked with absolutely everyone..and not making the right purchases!
    e.g....when we had 3 strikers and bought darren bent foir 16.5 million, at the time was absolutely ridiculous (love the lad now though :D)
    What i want to see come in, is just some good players who can just knuckle down and get the job done!!! No big name who is just gonna flop! cause the amount of players that have walked through this club in the last few years is diriculous!
    We all know our midfield is against a good team, none existent and they just walk right through it!!! Cant think of any holdin midefielder at the mo except diarra...maybe give a central defender a go(king used to play there for england) or o'hara! anything!
    Another thing, i agree with keogh, jenas zokora and thudd just arent doing it enough! But my god, i would love to see jenas and thud play to the ability the whole world knows they can! If only!
    I dont think we need a central defender, king and woody are on top wages and i dont think a top class CD is gonna sign when he knows he's gonna be third after them 2.

Anywho.....in Harry I trust!!!! :cool:

Come on tottenham!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I see Diarra is gone to Real Madrid so thats one good player we wont be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

The time to buy Diarra was last Christmas. Not Downing anyway, we should be buying players who are decent value. I think Bale will come good, we should keep him as a left side option. Bridge would be excellent. CB and DM, I would be looking at some of the Liege boys, they seem class. Striker Owen Defoe or Doyle. Defoe would come back to harry and the lane, and would be my first option.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

I dont see Defoe or Keane working in the current set up. There's no way you can have balance with either of them partnering Modric (and Harry keeps saying how you can leave Luka Modric out!). We need a big, Van Nistelrooy like predator.

The time to buy Diarra was last Christmas. Not Downing anyway, we should be buying players who are decent value. I think Bale will come good, we should keep him as a left side option. Bridge would be excellent. CB and DM, I would be looking at some of the Liege boys, they seem class. Striker Owen Defoe or Doyle. Defoe would come back to harry and the lane, and would be my first option.

The time to BUY, Diarra, ArseShavin, and others was last window, and we blew it - It was also the time to keep Robbi and Berbs, but we blew that also, and for what - It look at least buy letting Robbie and Berbs go we would get 50mil in cash to get replacements, now we don't even have that - hence why Diarra will go to Madrid, and other possible targets will be lost, and we will end up with Arry wheeling and dealing for loan players - NICE ONE LEVY!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Levy's big mistake was trusting in Comoli. Diarra was a stand out option when he went to pompey, just shows harry's eye for a bargain. The only players who appreciated significantly in the Comoli period- Keane, lennon,Carrick, had all been signed before he came. We never bought a bargain except for berbatov, who in farness looked a snip from the moment he landed.
    Worse still, he signed Bent before tying up Defoe on a new contract, resulting in us losing the best finisher in the Prem for 7m- guess who saw the value there?
    Diarra was the type of player we kept missing out on. I'm expecting some surprises. Harry is playing the poormouth- no money have to sell before we buy, a few loans maybe. he'll have 3 signings wrappped up, names we mightn't know, or experienced players treading water. He's never had the chance to pull players into a "big" club before, if that term has any meaning anymore.
    Expect the unexpected

• Advertisement

Levy's big mistake was trusting in Comoli. Diarra was a stand out option when he went to pompey, just shows harry's eye for a bargain. The only players who appreciated significantly in the Comoli period- Keane, lennon,Carrick, had all been signed before he came. We never bought a bargain except for berbatov, who in farness looked a snip from the moment he landed.
    Worse still, he signed Bent before tying up Defoe on a new contract, resulting in us losing the best finisher in the Prem for 7m- guess who saw the value there?
    Diarra was the type of player we kept missing out on. I'm expecting some surprises. Harry is playing the poormouth- no money have to sell before we buy, a few loans maybe. he'll have 3 signings wrappped up, names we mightn't know, or experienced players treading water. He's never had the chance to pull players into a "big" club before, if that term has any meaning anymore.
    Expect the unexpected
    I await with bated breath to be dazzled by Arry's mystical and magical purchases - Com on Arry, AMAZE ME!!;)

Advertisement