Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 1st time putting a pc together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

- CPU isn't the best choice, not the worst if you don't overclock as it offers decent stock performance but an Intel E5200 is a much better cpu and costs the same - not to mention overclocks like a daemon.

- Video card is a terrible choice regardless of whether you're gaming or not. As a general purpose card it's a waste of money....that card can't make use of more then about 256mb memory so you're paying for 1gb of useless onboard memory. As a gaming card, it's crap for the same reasons - you're paying much more then the standard price because of the 1gb memory which can't even be used, and it's a low end card anyway. It's a marketing ploy. If you're not gaming then this is much more suitable, if you are gaming, then this is much better at the same price point. You should benefit hugely from going a few extra euro to this, it absolutely trounces all Nvidia competition at the price point.

- The 500w PSU will power it all and that's a good case/psu combo.

- Ram is OK and will work but if you plan overclocking you'll need better stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

- CPU isn't the best choice, not the worst if you don't overclock as it offers decent stock performance but an Intel E5200 is a much better cpu and costs the same - not to mention overclocks like a daemon.

- Video card is a terrible choice regardless of whether you're gaming or not. As a general purpose card it's a waste of money....that card can't make use of more then about 256mb memory so you're paying for 1gb of useless onboard memory. As a gaming card, it's crap for the same reasons - you're paying much more then the standard price because of the 1gb memory which can't even be used, and it's a low end card anyway. It's a marketing ploy. If you're not gaming then this is much more suitable, if you are gaming, then this is much better at the same price point. You should benefit hugely from going a few extra euro to this, it absolutely trounces all Nvidia competition at the price point.

- The 500w PSU will power it all and that's a good case/psu combo.

- Ram is OK and will work but if you plan overclocking you'll need better stuff really.

Nice1 terror, Ive made the changes. I have never overclocked a pc, i dont even know how so thats out of the question.

So do u wreckon I am ready to check out with them changes youve recommended?
    Im just afraid of getting something that doesnt fit the mother board, the mother board cant handle something..etc?;) is it really that simple? One final Noob question, I presume the components all come with the necessary cables? You dont recommend me buying different ones or anything?

What about this:
    Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200A,
    20x, IDE, Black, bulk

will i be able to burn cds on it?
    it it compatible with the case..etc?

Will The intel cpu u suggested definately work with this motherboard because in the motherboads' description it keeps mentioning AMD??
    It says
    Compatible Processors Athlon 64, Sempron, Athlon 64 FX, Athlon 64 X2

So i have to get the AMD?

Do I have to buy a fan as it says the cpu come s w/fan?

No - you need an Intel 775 board as well to match the CPU! This'd be fine, cheap and reliable.

Motherboard comes with all the necessary cables.

The DVD will work but you're better off getting a sata model like this rather then ide, much tidier. But either will work.

Throw up a complete list when you've got everything picked out and we can double check it then before you buy. :)

Ok will do,
    The final thing I am missing is the fan. Does the motherboard come with a fan for the cpu or do I have to get a certain type of fan for a certain type of motherboard/cpu?
    I read the FAQ but it didnt really explain fans. What fan do you advise me to get?

this
    NorthQ 3312BL Giant UFO, 120mm Fan, Blue

this

Thermaltake Golden Orb II CPU Cooler,
    Blue Light, 17dBA Socket 775/754/939/940

or this?
    Zalman CNPS7700-AICu CPU-Cooler
    Socket 478/775/754/939/940

Do you get thermal paste with the cpu?

CPU comes with the fan, nothing else needed - thermal paste is pre-applied to the fan heatsink. If you want, you can buy a different fan other then the stock Intel one, depending on how quiet/efficiently cooled you want your PC to be. Personally I usually just use the Intel fan, not overly loud and does an OK job.

• Advertisement

CPU comes with the fan, nothing else needed - thermal paste is pre-applied to the fan heatsink. If you want, you can buy a different fan other then the stock Intel one, depending on how quiet/efficiently cooled you want your PC to be. Personally I usually just use the Intel fan, not overly loud and does an OK job.

Alrite, I gotcha.
    Ill pop up what I hope to be a final draft later on and we'll see if itl work out
    Thanks Terror, you've been of great help to me!:cool:;)

No problem, happy to help. Even if I'm supposed to be studying right now. :)

No problem, happy to help. Even if I'm supposed to be studying right now. :)

ha same:D

Here it is..
    Do these components have the potential of becoming a powerful pc with its
    big 500gb hd,
    high performance with 4GB of RAM, Intel pentium dual core 2.5 Ghz cpu
    and 1GB Radeon HD graphics card?
    All being powered by the electrifying antec sonata PSU of 500w? only 450 quid from komplett.

Clarification is needed on making sure my motherboard can work all of these components together as ONE so I can go off and do some Pwnage.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=650593&su=DFBCA999-A008-43E6-A433-1FA09B60737A

Ready to check out?

Do you wreckon I should by a tool kit? I suppose I should!?

• Advertisement

Excellent build. the only thing I will say to you is that if you're even a bit of overclocking you'll want faster ram. For just ten euro extra this really is much better ram.

Other then that solid build, thumbs up!

Oh and forget the tool kit, I've been using the same single screwdriver for my builds for about 2 years. Will never need anything other then a philips head...you'll get a small precision kit in any DIY store for about 2 euro.

Do all the required screws come with the case/motherboard...?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

yes. Between your case and your motherboard, there should be loads of screws to mount your board, fans, hard drives, etc. More than you will need, dont worry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Looks great mate, best of luck with it !!!

Help im confused my motherboard dissapeared from my shopping list.
    I think its due to going into the Clearance category.

Is this the same motherboard yous recommended cause i cant remember?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=344812

Its only 30 quid. Thats seems a bit of a drastic drop?waaaaa will it perform fine?

Wait I just seen that it says
    !!! Card only !!! (Drivers, cables, brackets, manual, IO shield ++ is not included!)
    so screw that.

What motherboard should i get now. Im running tight on money. Need a cheap reliable one.
    maybe this for €73. iS going any cheaper a bit risky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Only difference is that one has a P31 chipset whereas the other has a G31 chipset. Should be ok.

They only had the one in stock so it must have been relegated to clearance for whatever reason, I doubt they happened to sell that one and suddenly come into a b-grade item on the same day. Going cheaper is never risky once you know what you want and you don't expect more of the board then it can deliver. None of the brands Komplett stock would really be ones I'd be wary of in terms of general quality, only features.

Advertisement