Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mumps

Options
  • 02-12-2008 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Some of you may know already that mumps seems to be doing the rounds in Dublin at the moment. 2 people from my class in college got it recently and my brother's (secondary) school seems to have plenty of people coming down with it. (Entirely different areas)
    The people in my class had had the vaccination so just letting you know that it's doing the rounds right now and to be on the alert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I heard today there's been cases in the college in Dundalk too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My friend and her brother were vaccinated against it but her younger sister wasn't.She got mumps 1 month before her leaving cert. My friend was just grateful that she had been vaccinated and didn't catch it.

Whether you agree with vaccinating children or not it's clear that the reduction in children being vaccinated have these diseases on the rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mumps is going around UCG as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Hi folks

Some of you may know already that mumps seems to be doing the rounds in Dublin at the moment. 2 people from my class in college got it recently and my brother's (secondary) school seems to have plenty of people coming down with it. (Entirely different areas)
    The people in my class had had the vaccination so just letting you know that it's doing the rounds right now and to be on the alert.

Are you sure about that, it was going around a few years ago in my school, and people who we assumed got the vaccine contracted Mumps, but they hadnt actually got it, as theyre parents had some compulsion to be difficult :D

On guy came back in still seriously swollen but he just wouldnt miss class so close to the JC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Fad wrote: »
    Are you sure about that, it was going around a few years ago in my school, and people who we assumed got the vaccine contracted Mumps, but they hadnt actually got it, as theyre parents had some compulsion to be difficult :D

On guy came back in still seriously swollen but he just wouldnt miss class so close to the JC.

100% certain that at least 1 of the 2 had gotten the vaccine. When they got it their doctor looked back to make sure both doses had been given, sure enough, it had been. It's not 100% effective though, I've seen effectiveness figures range from 80% to 99%. (Though I suppose it's one of those things that's near to impossible to quantify).

EDIT: I'm surprised he was allowed back btw, as he would still have been contagious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Concorde

My husband's cousin developed measles, despite having had the MMR jab and booster. His mother was told the immunisation is only 85% effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

my whole family were vacc against mumps, rubella etc but we ALL got it through our childhood. My DS (4) got german measles dispite the MMR. Not all Vacc take. Same with meningitus vaccine, just because you had it doesnt mean you are immune. (most likely you wont get it but there is no guarentee)

Advertisement